November 2011 Moms

Please tell me I'm not the only one

Who isn't interested in sharing the status of their cervix with the world. Because I'm pretty sure my mom is crushed that I don't immediately call her after having internals.

If you're into sharing that stuff, cool, but can't a girl have just a *little* privacy if she wants it???

Raising a threenager since 11/11
Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15

Re: Please tell me I'm not the only one

• You aren't the only one. My dad asked me how dilated I was after my appointment today. Instant mortification.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Lol my mom wants me to call her after every appointment even though it's the same thing... weight, blood pressure, LO's heartbeat, and internal. She asks if I'm dilated and I just tell her not really. The worst was my FI's mom asking. I definitely ignored that question.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • UNDERSTOOD!  My family is the kind that share, but I learned my lesson after my first exam. My sister was going to throw a "Baby Sprinkle" for me, and I had to tell her that the doctor put me on travel restrictions. I made the mistake of telling her about my progress thinking that it was a personal thing that she would keep to herself. The next day I get a text from my BF saying (keep in mind she's never been pregnant) "So I hear you're 50% dilated!" She probably doesn't know the difference between being dilated and effaced. I wasn't about to tell her either!

All I tell my family now, is that my doctor appt went well and baby is doing fine with a strong heartbeat when they ask. I refuse to have my lady parts talked about by family and friends. If your mom is still asking, I'm sure she'll stop soon enough. Hang in there!

• When I was pregnant with my first son I remember this lady telling me she could tell my cervix was thinning by looking into my eyes. Uh, weird.
  • You are not the only one!!  I share bits and pieces on FB like if I've hit a number milestone-woo hoo half way there that sort of thing.  But I don't think I would share woo hoo baby is half way down my vagina!  lol

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Well I certainly wouldn't announce it from the rooftops but I wouldn't exactly consider my mom 'the world'. I wont have my first internal until Thursday but I'm sure once I do I will tell my mom and I don't see why that would be a big deal, I mean it's your mom she's seen you naked.
  • Not at all. I don't mind telling anyone about how my appointments go, or my weight, but the other day a cousin commented on my 'doctors appointment went well, I've topped 130 lbs' post on facebook with 'are you dilated?'. I just had to say that I wasn't comfortable putting that on there. My dad reads my facebook for gods sake!
  • imageauthorofdreamz:
    Well I certainly wouldn't announce it from the rooftops but I wouldn't exactly consider my mom 'the world'. I wont have my first internal until Thursday but I'm sure once I do I will tell my mom and I don't see why that would be a big deal, I mean it's your mom she's seen you naked.

I love my mom and I would have no problem telling her this stuff.... It is who she will tell that causes a problem.

• My mom and MIL are both nurses so nothing bothers them and I have to remind them that the rest of the world doesn't share as much as nurses do. Big Smile

• Ugh, I'm right there with you. And on the flipside, I don't really care what other women are at either. At least not anyone I know IRL. MH gave me the update he had received from his brother that our SIL (who is due 4 days before me) is 1 cm dilated. I was basically like "Erm, good for her?" Huh?

Edit: Words

• My CO-WORKERS regularly ask me how dilated I am.  I'm not close with them at all. Plus, they ask this in front of male co-workers.  For some reason I can't bring myself to say "I don't feel comfortable sharing that information" so I just mumble something like "Uh, I'm not sure." 

DD born 11/20/11
  • They just want hope that LO is not planning on attending college in there! My DH wants to know what it all means. When I tell him not much he asks, "why have them done in the first place?" I told him it is so that I know that my LO will be coming soon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • I don't mind sharing with my mom, but when my 60-year-old male boss asked me the other day if there had been any "movement", I just said NO.  Awkward!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not getting an internal until 40 weeks (had one when OB checked group B strep at 36 but none since).  You could just lie and say you aren't getting them.  My mom also always seems disappointed when I say, "yeah heard the heartbeat again, that's it". 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"