Breastfeeding

Fussing at breast, pulling on nipple anyone?

Anyone deal with this? It's not at every feeding. It happened once about a week ago and then today and last night at the pre-bed feeding. It's like he is super frustrated. He latches, fusses, pulls at the nipple, unlatches, relatches and again.

Any thoughts?

Formerly Sara*n*Ryan
imageimage

Re: Fussing at breast, pulling on nipple anyone?

• ns1ns1 member

DD has been doing this for about a week now (she's 3 weeks old).  I went to the kellymom website and there's a lot of good stuff about babies being fussy when feeding.  I think DD's issue for me is either a strong let-down at first that drowns her with milk or being upset after the strong let-down that she's not getting as much milk and she gets impatient.  I still haven't found great ways to deal with it (although sometimes breast compressions help), but it's nice to know it's probably not because she's in pain and it's not uncommon.

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/fussy-while-nursing.html 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My DS does the same.  I think it is due to gas though.  He also cries and stretches out and usually lets out some gas/or poop.  He then furiously tries to relatch, almost rubbing his face against my nipple.  Then relatches and seems good till the next gas attack.  I could be wrong though.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelcp23:
    My DS does the same.  I think it is due to gas though.  He also cries and stretches out and usually lets out some gas/or poop.  He then furiously tries to relatch, almost rubbing his face against my nipple.  Then relatches and seems good till the next gas attack.  I could be wrong though.

Same here. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For me it meant I waited too long to feed him and he was super hungry and couldn't focus and was too impatient to wait for the milk to start flowing. You could try watching for the hunger cues more or watching the clock to make sure you are not going too long between feedings.
  • I have the SAME issue!  My LO won't take a pacifier or a bottle yet so it gets VERY frustrating!!!  I have heard alot of other moms say that their babies were overtired.  But what if they are hungry too?  Would they still go to sleep if they were hungry?  Last night for me was a mightmare!!!  My LO would be breastfeeding and would pull away screaming bloody murder like my breast was the devil or something.  She would latch and relatch.  Finally, I got her to calm down and it seemed like she used me for a pacifier to go to sleep.  It's really weird because she sleeps during the night and just wakes to eat but during the night is a breeze and half the time she only eats on one side and falls asleep.  My Mom keeps on telling me that babies aren't the same as they were when I was little.  LOL!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageCrash Into Me:
    If dd falls asleep I let her. She'll wake up when she wants to eat and she'll be more calm after a bit of sleep.

After reading what everyone had to say, I think it might be sleep. It's like he's hungry, but he's too tired to be efficient at eating. Everytime it's happened, he has been having a cluster feeding day.

Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it. I was starting to panic that our on breast days were going to end soon. In hind sight, me getting worried probably wasn't helping the situation.

Formerly Sara*n*Ryan
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"