March 2012 Moms

my breast friend vs boppy?

We started registering yesterday and I added the boppy to my list at Target. I had emailed a few people in the morning for advice, and one cousin said she liked the My Breast Friend pillow better and that the lactation consultants recommended it. For those who've already been through breast feeding, do you have an opinion in this matter?

Thanks so much!

image image

Re: my breast friend vs boppy?

• I've seen great recommendations for a my breast friend, however I registered for the boppy.  I feel like you can lay the baby in the boppy, as well as use it for BFing and I don't feel like you'd be able to do that with the MBF.  I'd like to see what others say as well.
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I really liked My Brest Friend. I had a lot of issues with BFing and I needed perfect positioning to make things work. I used it until I weaned DD at 10 months. I have heard it is significantly more difficult for positioning with the Boppy however if BFing comes naturally to you, the Boppy might work great. Boppy has multiple uses too, so if you aren't planning on getting a bouncer/Rock-n-play etc, it's good for setting baby down in.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Being a plus sized mama, I didn't find the boppy comfortable to use for our limited stint. We did use it to prop LO up occasionally and that was nice but truthfully I think it was a waste for us and I could have totally lived without it.
    image        image
  • Both.

My Breastfriend for nursing purposes. Much more support.

Boppy for tummy time and supported sitting for the baby later.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • definitely both.

my breast friend was great for nursing and the boppy for nursing as she got older but great for resting her and sitting up/tummy time.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had both and I hated the my breast friend. I get why people liked it, it just wasn't for me. The boppy worked great for me.

• imageMelbaCat:

I had both and I hated the my breast friend. I get why people liked it, it just wasn't for me. The boppy worked great for me.

This was me too.  I thought MBF was really uncomfortable, especially the part that went around my back.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers1 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I have only used the Boppy, but I would think it would be the best option because it is more versatile...baby can lay in the center or sit in it later on...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • The Boppy pillow is by far the best nursing and support pillow. It's super comfy for mom and baby and can also be used for helping baby sit up, during tummy time, propping, etc. And, the slipcover options are adorable. I would highly recommend the Boppy pillow. It's a must-have, recommended by lactation consultants, etc. I have two!
  • I had both (bought Boppy, borrowed MBF). I found MBF better when DS was tiny because it was firmer and flat. Because Boppy is soft and rounded, when he was really tiny he would kind of slide into the crevice formed between the Boppy "bump" and my body (if that makes sense; picture holding a giant donut around your waist and then trying to keep a baby doll balanced on top of it). MBF isn't rounded like that so he would rest on the "shelf" and be in a better position.

We never used the Boppy for sitting up; he just lounged on blankets or, when he was old enough to sit (and the Boppy was long-ago stored away because he was big enough to nurse without it), had pillows around him.

The one advantage to the Boppy is that it's easier to get into with one hand while the other is holding a screaming hungry child.

DS 04.25.08 DS 03.14.12 missed m/c 9w1d :: 6.18.10 :: d&c | missed m/c 9w3d :: 11.2.10 :: d&c
  • FTM here, but I have been using Lucie's list as a registry guide and they recommend getting both if you can.

I am getting a hand me down boppy, so I registered for a new boppy cover and a MBF. 

image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• It seems that overall moms prefer the MBR for breastfeeding but like that the boppy can be used for propping or tummy time. However, my pediatrician (and from what I have heard it is the same for others as well) does not recommend using a boppy for TT because this can delay strength development. So it was an easy choice for me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"