March 2012 Moms
Options

Name game....

Is anyone worried because the name they picked is a popular name lately?  The name we decided on has been my favorite since WAY before it got super popular and nothing else seems to fit when we say it out loud, but I am so nervous that it will be too popular
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Name game....

• Options
    DH and I liked the name Liam before I had the slightest clue that it was AT ALL popular. We've decided not to use it.
  • Options
    We are using Liam too but as a nickname.  The way I look at it is while it maybe high on the popular baby names list I don't know any other LO's named Liam right now.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When we picked the name Kellen, we had barely heard of the name. Now I hear it much more frequently, and it's on a list of names becoming trendier.  I am scared to death it will become the next Aiden (which wasn't common a decade ago).  We are looking at complementary Irish names, and I'm having the same issue, worried that the name we picked will become super popular. It makes me more likely to pick a very uncommon name, but as we learned, you can't really predict trends or know when an actor (Kellan Lutz) or football player (Kellen Moore is Boise State's QB and was announced a month before Kellen was born and after we were committed to name) will come around to make the name more popular.
  • Options
    See?  That's our problem... This is our first baby and I have had my "baby names" picked out since I was 14... Liam for a boy and Adelaide for a girl (Addie for nn).... the problem  is... Liam is obviously popular and SO many people are going for names that use Addie as a nickname!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I say if you really love it, use it! I don't know about your area, but this board is not representative of the name trends in my area AT ALL. Seriously, the people I know in real life who I have told our son's name love it, but they think it's very uncommon. Honestly, unless there was likely to be 5 other Liams in his class, it wouldn't stop me. And even then, I'd be hard pressed to chose something else because I love it so much.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyName Ticker Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

imagebooks4brooke:
    When we picked the name Kellen, we had barely heard of the name. Now I hear it much more frequently, and it's on a list of names becoming trendier.  I am scared to death it will become the next Aiden (which wasn't common a decade ago).  We are looking at complementary Irish names, and I'm having the same issue, worried that the name we picked will become super popular. It makes me more likely to pick a very uncommon name, but as we learned, you can't really predict trends or know when an actor (Kellan Lutz) or football player (Kellen Moore is Boise State's QB and was announced a month before Kellen was born and after we were committed to name) will come around to make the name more popular.

I wanted to name my son Kellan after Kellan Lutz. DH said no way. Sigh...I still love the name though!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Elizabeth has been a popular name for forever. I don't give a crap because it was my grandmother's name and honoring her was more important to me than trying to be all u-neek.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imagesalt78:
    Elizabeth has been a popular name for forever. I don't give a crap because it was my grandmother's name and honoring her was more important to me than trying to be all u-neek.

I think perennially popular (classic) names are different. It's trendy names that bother me more I guess, like you'll be able to guess which decade they were born based on their name. 

• Options

We chose Sophia for DD, despite it's popularity. We've found that in our area it really isn't too popular. She goes by Sophie too, so there are even less that go only by Sophie. We love the name and it doesn't really bother us that there are other kids with the same name. 

My name is Jennifer and I grew up in the 80s. I always had at least one other Jennifer in my classes growing up and it never bothered me. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"