Baby Names

THIS is why I won't use that name, DH.

DH really likes the name Madelyn (actually I'm not sure how he wants to spell it), and I won't use it.  My name was #6 the year I was born (and #52, 138, 285, 442, 566, 571, 603, 653, 723, 832, and 998 because of spelling variations) and I always hated having such a common name, lumped on top of the fact that people spelled it so many different ways that even though everywhere I went there were 5 Brittanys, there were also 5 different spellings.  Just annoying. I'm staying FAR away from popular names, and DH is gravitating towards them.

I just know that Madelyn will be shortened to Maddie, and there are too many Maddie/Addie names out right now.  I don't want her to be "Maddie K." everywhere she goes because that drove me CRAZY growing up.  I was going through social security's top 1000 names to try and find some inspiration, and here are the Maddie/Addie names I found:

Madison- 8

Addison- 11

Madelyn- 76

Madeline- 77

Addyson- 190

Adalyn- 256

Maddison- 293

Madeleine- 320

Madilyn- 332

Madisyn- 338

Madalyn- 361

Madelynn- 398

Addisyn- 403

Adelaide- 434

Madyson- 444

Adalynn- 445

Madilynn- 561

Madalynn- 581

Addilyn- 974 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: THIS is why I won't use that name, DH.

• Yeah DH is like, "you can't say no to a name because of similar sounding names."  Yes I can!!  Maddie/Addie is out of control and drives me crazy.  I'm choosing names BECAUSE they're uncommon and things you don't hear every day, and he doesn't like my names because they're "weird."  If he hasn't grown up hearing it he thinks it's strange and doesn't like it.  Conversely, all of the names he suggests are painfully popular and/or have 50 nicknames and that's why I don't like them.

There's not even a back and forth on names for us; it's just 2 of us on opposite ends of the naming field staring each other down.  This poor kid is going to be nameless forever :( 

• If I may ask, what are some of your favorite names?

Just curious... Wink

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemissbugg21:

If I may ask, what are some of your favorite names?

Just curious... Wink

My #1 favorite, want to use 100% but can't get DH on board name is Esme

I also like Adele, Etta, Maeve, Estelle, Arden... I think there are a couple more on my list that I can't think of at the moment.   

ETA: I forgot Colette!  That's it for my list. 

• I am so glad to hear you are not doing that I HATE this name with a passion

2 neighbors and a friend named their daughter with all different spellings the past 2 years.

and here is what they call them

1 Maddie Lou (Madeline Louise)

2 Mad (Madalyn)

3 Maddie (Madellyne) and this one has an "all boy's boy" kinda dad so often he calls her Maddox

They all drive me crazy

Me(30) DH(36) TTC #1 since October 2011 <a href="http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Home D
  • imageBFab11:
    imagemissbugg21:

Just curious... Wink

I also like Adele, Etta, Maeve, Estelle, Arden... I think there are a couple more on my list that I can't think of at the moment.   

Any of your names are way better minus Colette - sorry!  

• My DH and I are having an issue with this as well.  He is a Michael so obviously he grew up with a really common name. It didn't bother him. I am an Allison and my name was always pretty unique. I enjoyed the fact that there weren't other Allison's that I went to school with.

I gravitate towards popular names. In fact, all of the names I love are super popular. He encourages me to use them because his super common name never bothered him, but I just can't stomach knowing that my child will be Isabella B. because there are 4 or 5 other Isabella's in her class.  :(

• My SOs niece is named Madelynn. Cute as pie but I was rather sad that they chose such a popular name.
  • How about Esther or Elda
    Me(30) DH(36) TTC #1 since October 2011 <a href="http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Home D
  • Wow. Having worked at a daycare, I knew the Maddie/Addie names were really popular, but seeing it written down makes it seem even worse. 

I agree with pp, stick to your guns. I had an incredibly common name that could also be spelled a million ways and I hated being one of 5 Megan's in my girlscout troop (that only had 20 people). But, perhaps you could compromise with DH and use a Madelyn variant for the MN if you don't already have one picked? I completely agree with you, but I know how important it is for the dads to be involved in name picking. 

• Definitely stick to your guns!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBFab11:
    imagemissbugg21:

Just curious... Wink

Your list rocks. Maybe you could convince him on Adele, because it has the same letters as mADELEine... Completely different pronunciation, and a way better name, but maybe it would sway him? ;)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I just want to give you a world as beautiful as you are to me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I completely agree with you. Not even including the Addie's, I personally know at least 7 Maddie's under the age of 5. It's a pretty name, but I am so sick of it I could puke! By the way, I love pretty much all of your suggestions, especially Maeve! Good luck!
  • imageBFab11:
    imagemissbugg21:

Just curious... Wink

You have excellent taste in names : ) Love Esme!

• I actually really like the name Madeline, but it is way too popular these days. Although why spell it Madelyn? I hate Ys where Ys should not be.

Me (32) DH (30)

A Wordy Blog

Baby Evangeline is here!

• I like Esme too.  But doesn't it seem to be becoming popular?  I have a friend who's <1 year old daughter is Esme and I see it all over the boards.  Hate to bring up Twilight, but that's where the whole Isabella thing came from and probably Esme too.  Personally, I'd stay away from it.  I think there will be an explosion of them soon.  

Love Adele.   

TTC 10/11. IUI 2/12. BFP 3/8/12. 4/26/12 missed mc. RE consult 5/17/12. IVF #1 ER 7/13/12 53R, 41M ICSIed, 32F, 8 5d, 6 6d blasts - all PGD/frozen. PGD results 1 normal M and 1 normal F, 1 maybe M. FET 9/6, transferred 1 F embie. Beta 9/15 BFN. FET#2 planned for 11/2012 put off until 2013. Surprise BFP 11/21/12!! My son was born on 7/24/13!

FET 4/28/2015 - Transferred 1 M embie. 5/6/15 BFP!

• imagewordslikeswords:
    I actually really like the name Madeline, but it is way too popular these days. Although why spell it Madelyn? I hate Ys where Ys should not be.

As far as I'm concerned, those are two different names w/ 2 different pronunciations.

Madeline rhymes with fine.

Madelyn rhymes with pin.

Or maybe that's just me.  I'm anti "Maddie" either way.

red

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"