3rd Trimester

XP: POSITIVE Cytotec stories?

Cytotec has become an option for me since Prostin didn't work (cervix is still closed and only one side has softened; no contractions) and my doctor doesn't want me passing my due date for a number of factors (medical ones, not just "big baby" fears).

I'm an informed patient and I'm not afraid of off-label uses for drugs that actually work. However, I'm having a hard time finding accurate info amid the hearsay horror stories and label indications. I've read a few of the bad stories on here as well.

But I know obstetrical educators, doctors, and the WHO wouldn't support the use of Cytotec if the success stories didn't outnumber the nightmares.

Can any of you share a POSITIVE Cytotec induction story?

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

Re: XP: POSITIVE Cytotec stories?

• Why won't your MD use cervidil?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Would you settle for a neutral cytotec story? :)

I didn't have any complications, any scary results or anything..... but I'm also not sure how well it worked for me.  I ended up with 4 rounds of cytotec and a foley bulb and still only progressed to 4cm.   

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The WHO only supports the use of Cytotec if pitocin, etc are not available or contraindicated: https://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2009/WHO_RHR_09.22_eng.pdf  They also question the high bleed rates associated with its use.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I work in surgery as a nurse and we handle miscarriages before 20 weeks. We use cytotec vaginally and orally to induce those moms and it works well... But of course that not the same circumstance.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was given cytotec during my induction with DD.  No problems.  I was also on pitocin....
  • i responded with a positive story to your previous post.

I had oligohydramnios at 38 weeks and needed to get baby delivered.  Went in at 8pm and got my first dose of cytotec at 10pm and was 1cm, 60% effaced, -2.  I got a second dose at 2am and my cervix was the same.  (Normally I don't like to blame hospital staff since I am an L&D nurse, but the first dose wasn't placed as well so it didn't work.)  I slept for a couple hours and woke up contracting every 2-3 minutes and they were manageable.  Doc wanted to start pitocin in the morning but I asked her just to break my water since I was contracting.  At 830AM I was still contracting every 2-3 minutes and she broke my water...I was 2-3cm (ripened! which was the whole point of the cytotec).  After she broke my water I went into full active labor and delivered at 1140AM.  My labor was not super fast from the cytotec (since it is out of your system by 4 hours), but the cytotec got the ball rolling so my body could do what it needed to do.  I wouldn't change a thing about my induction.  And as I said in the other thread, I have used cytotec for 5.5 years without ANY complication.  Docs and nurses just have to use it on the right patients....based on cervical dilation, labor history, etc.  There are certainly times when I decided it was not the safest option for certain patients and have opted for cervidil or Gel.  That is why I have never seen problems with it...I have used it in the right circumstances.  And the reason cervidil may not work as well for you is because gel and cervidil both derive from the same prostaglandin...so if gel hasn't work for you then cervidil may not be very likely to work for you.  That is why the nurse suggested cytotec.  PLease understand that those with OB experience will certainly know what is better for YOUR body...versus a bunch of bumpies who have no experience with that decision making process.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemhickey12:
    Why won't your MD use cervidil?

I just had my second dose of Prostin, the same drug (dinoprostone). Cervidil would be redundant.

• I was induced with DS1 with Cytotec, and everything went perfectly.  What details are you looking for?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagekris_kelsey:

i responded with a positive story to your previous post.

I had oligohydramnios at 38 weeks and needed to get baby delivered.  Went in at 8pm and got my first dose of cytotec at 10pm and was 1cm, 60% effaced, -2.  I got a second dose at 2am and my cervix was the same.  (Normally I don't like to blame hospital staff since I am an L&D nurse, but the first dose wasn't placed as well so it didn't work.)  I slept for a couple hours and woke up contracting every 2-3 minutes and they were manageable.  Doc wanted to start pitocin in the morning but I asked her just to break my water since I was contracting.  At 830AM I was still contracting every 2-3 minutes and she broke my water...I was 2-3cm (ripened! which was the whole point of the cytotec).  After she broke my water I went into full active labor and delivered at 1140AM.  My labor was not super fast from the cytotec (since it is out of your system by 4 hours), but the cytotec got the ball rolling so my body could do what it needed to do.  I wouldn't change a thing about my induction.  And as I said in the other thread, I have used cytotec for 5.5 years without ANY complication.  Docs and nurses just have to use it on the right patients....based on cervical dilation, labor history, etc.  There are certainly times when I decided it was not the safest option for certain patients and have opted for cervidil or Gel.  That is why I have never seen problems with it...I have used it in the right circumstances.  And the reason cervidil may not work as well for you is because gel and cervidil both derive from the same prostaglandin...so if gel hasn't work for you then cervidil may not be very likely to work for you.  That is why the nurse suggested cytotec.  PLease understand that those with OB experience will certainly know what is better for YOUR body...versus a bunch of bumpies who have no experience with that decision making process.

Thanks!! I replied to you on the other thread too. I was out helping with trick or treaters and just got back in to read all the responses.

I really appreciate your honest answers. And yes, I do put a lot more faith in my doctors and the hospital staff than in Dr. Google and internet strangers. I just get so discouraged reading all the horror stories, when I know there have to be at least that many happy stories!

• imagerebeccaontherocks:
    I was induced with DS1 with Cytotec, and everything went perfectly.  What details are you looking for?

I'm mostly curious about how quickly it worked, whether you also had Pitocin, and whether you'd do it again.

• you are welcome!  Good Luck to you.  Whatever your next step ends up being, go in with faith and trust that it will work for you in the best way it possibly can.  A positive outlook can do a lot for your labor progress!  (Oh, and have sex a few times before your next ripening :) )
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejenbarker99:

imagerebeccaontherocks:
    I was induced with DS1 with Cytotec, and everything went perfectly.  What details are you looking for?

I'm mostly curious about how quickly it worked, whether you also had Pitocin, and whether you'd do it again.

I was admitted into the hospital for my induction around 8pm and I had 2-3 rounds of Cytotec throughout the night. My water was broken by the Dr. at 7:30am the next day at which point I was 3cm dialated. By noon I was fully dilated and effaced.  

I will be induced again with this baby next week.  I already asked my new doctor about his use of Cytotec and that is what he uses also, I am fine with them using it again... however he said I probably wont need it this time because I am already dilating on my own pretty quickly. 

ETA: I did not NEED pitocin, but they did start it after I was full dilated and effaced (around noon) but only to regulate my contractions in a more timeable manner. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • There are probably a ton of "positive" stories but it still doesn't mean it's safe. I think along with trying to find positive things you need to take into account all of the negative ones as well. I guess if you're not worried about using off-label drugs that might work then go for it...
  • imagekcvasquez:
    There are probably a ton of "positive" stories but it still doesn't mean it's safe. I think along with trying to find positive things you need to take into account all of the negative ones as well. I guess if you're not worried about using off-label drugs that might work then go for it...

Eye roll. 

• Had cytotec with DS and now that I look back compared to DDs labor and delivery...I am definitely requesting it AGAIN (Didn't have it with DD...just pitocin)!  It got me nice and soft...they broke my water and just helped move me along with a tiny bit of pitocin...had baby within 10 hours of beginning my induction.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • imagekcvasquez:
    There are probably a ton of "positive" stories but it still doesn't mean it's safe. I think along with trying to find positive things you need to take into account all of the negative ones as well. I guess if you're not worried about using off-label drugs that might work then go for it...

double eye roll 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • imageLDQAM516:

imagekcvasquez:

double eye roll 

LOL. Yes

• Wow.... Sometimes I can't believe how unbelievable immature people on this site are. Eye roll over someone's opinion? Way to act like teenagers. She's right, if your gonna look at the positive stories, why not look at the negative ones also. Its a personal decision based on whether you think the pros outway the cons or vice versa. Just like any other big decision. Get over it if you can't accept someone else's opinion.
  • imagejulesdac65:
    Wow.... Sometimes I can't believe how unbelievable immature people on this site are. Eye roll over someone's opinion? Way to act like teenagers. She's right, if your gonna look at the positive stories, why not look at the negative ones also. Its a personal decision based on whether you think the pros outway the cons or vice versa. Just like any other big decision. Get over it if you can't accept someone else's opinion.

She wrote POSITVE.  ALL CAPS.  She clearly stated she knew the negatives.  She did not want bump drs spewing the negatives when she was aware of them.  It's immature to come on here acting like you know more than a doctor. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"