VBAC
Options

Intro, BFP!, and Questions...

Hey ladies! I've been lurking around here for quite a while now, but now that we're officially expecting #2 (holy cow!), I'll come out and say HI! :)

DD was born 2 years ago by c/s: After 17hrs of natural labor, doctor demanded a c/s due to DD's "late" heart rate decelerations (I was only 7cm and -2). My c/s was horrible- they realized she had meconium so she was rushed from the room for aspiration without anyone telling me anything- the doctors and nurses just kept chatting about their Halloween costume (not even the baby's sex, which was a surprise, they actually wrote it wrong on my wrist band until DH corrected them). DD was fine and 7#1oz, but was sunny-side up, cord around her neck tightly, meconium, "late" decels, still at -2. It was a miserable experience.  Except for my beautiful baby girl of course. :)

After hearing my doctor's rules about VBACs at my 6 week check, I immediately changed to a midwives group in anticipation of my next go-round. Of course, midwives here can't do VBACs, so I'm left with a choice of VBAC-friendly OBs in the same group or a move across the street. I need to go interview the other group and see how I feel......

SOOO- what questions do I ask? I know the basics, but what other questions do y'all wish you'd asked at the start?

Thanks for reading this absurdly long post!! :D

Re: Intro, BFP!, and Questions...

• Options

People made small talk my entire c/s...I felt totally invisible/irrelevant.  I also didn't get my DS for a long time.  Sorry you had to go through that!

Questions I'd ask:

* how long they'll "let" you go (39, 40, 41, 42 weeks?)  any required monitoring toward the end -- NSTs, BPP?

* policy on vbac induction/augmentation if labor slows (pitocin, foley bulb, AROM, nipple stimulation - or would they go straight to rcs if no spontaneous labor by a certain point?

* monitoring (continuous or intermittent) -- also, is wireless monitoring available?

* their vbac rate (a good practice should likely have a 70% "success" rate or higher for the moms who are provided a trial of labor)

* their thoughts on meconium...often if it isn't thick it isn't cause for concern when not accompanied by other signs of distress.  was your first born postdates? 

Your situation from your daughter's birth is unlikely to recur, so it seems to me you're a good candidate.  Congrats on your pregnancy and trust your instincts when interviewing providers - the vibe you get is usually spot on!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"