February 2012 Moms

Nosebleeds?

I'm not sure I've ever had a nosebleed before being pregnant.  Now I think I've had 4 in the last month or so.  And I feel like any time I blow my nose, my snot is red tinged (sorry).  Anyone else? 
11 months old! #andintoeverything

Re: Nosebleeds?

• I havent had one.. have you talked to your OB about it?
  • Yes!  Nosebleeds are completely new for me too, so I kinda freaked out the first few times.

I haven't talked to my doc about it (yet), but I have been using a sinus rinse more frequently since I keep getting colds and am stuffed up a lot.  Maybe the rinse is making things worse?? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Just got one 30 mins ago. Same thing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSandraRay2008:
    I havent had one.. have you talked to your OB about it?

My appt is tomorrow - it is on the top of my list!  

• imagecheese.fiend:

imageSandraRay2008:

Good! Let us know what they say I would find it interesting to see what causes it  

• I've had 2 this pregnancy (none in my first).  My OB said its caused by progesterone, which causes things to swell - makes the nasal passages more irritable.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • OMG - yes. Sometimes I have 4-5 nosebleeds a day. It is my worst and most annoying pg symptom so far. My midwife says it's unfortunately normal.

I'm not sure of the exact reason behind it, but would guess it has something to do with the overall increased blood volume (40-50% more than normal) you have while pregnant.

• imagecheese.fiend:

imageSandraRay2008:

It's text book, I think. It's in the 'What to Expect...' book as a common symptom. Due to increased blood flow. It's nothing to worry about.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagefish000:
    imagecheese.fiend:

imageSandraRay2008:

It's text book, I think. It's in the 'What to Expect...' book as a common symptom. Due to increased blood flow. It's nothing to worry about.

W/ the increased blood volume, I figured it wasn't much cause for concern... but, damn... annoying!  

• I've had so many lately that I'm surprised there's still blood left in my head! What with nosebleeds being relatively common during pregnancy and the sudden dry, cold weather (plus turning on the heat in the house), I feel like I'm getting them every other day. It's only been a full-on bloody nose (the kind I got when I was a kid and got whacked in the schnoz with a baseball) a few times, but every other time I have blood-tinged snot. I'm so used to it, it didn't even occur to me that anyone might be concerned about it.
  • I had my first today. Like, first ever in my life. I even fell and crushed my nose in grade school and didn't get one then. 

I read it is because of the increased blood volume, and the membranes being softened. 

• It's from all the extra blood.  I haven't had a full on nose bleed yet but I definitely have the issue where every time I blow my nose there is some red.  It's so annoying.
    Natural BFP - 2/13/10, Natural M/C - 3/9/10 (Missed m/c found at 8wks 4days) Prenatal B/W shows I'm a Beta Thal carrier & so is DH. Onto IVF w/PGD... Jan 2011 - IVF #1 - C/P Mar 2011 - IVF #2 - Day 5 PGD, no ET, 5 snow babies May 2011 - FET #1 - BFP!! Twins!!! 2/9/12 - Our precious miracles arrived! Baby A 7lbs 13oz & Baby B 5lbs 13oz
  • I also get them.  Always have, but I can't blow my nose without blood now that I'm pregnant.  To keep away the all-out nosebleeds, I use nasal spray or gel.  Take your pick- it works!
  • Yes, happens to me! I never had them pre-pregnancy and have had a few - the last one just on Friday while furniture shopping ....It's normal :)
  • I've had them before, but definitely worse since I got pregnant.  It seems like any time my nose gets irritated, I get a nose bleed.  My doctor said that if I feel like the air is dry, a humidifier might help, but it's probably just going to be part of life for a few more months.

image   image   image

• I've had less frequent bloody boogies since using my humidifier at night.  :-)
    x
  • I had never had one before pregnancy, either, and have only had one so far. I read that it is perfectly normal, though.
  • yes. I had one or two early on in pregnancy. But I got one this morning, and I got one yesterday, and Sunday, and well, you get the picture. I have the doctor on Thursday, I wasn't going to mention it because I think it is normal, but maybe I'll bring it up
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"