March 2012 Moms
Options

To snip or not to snip???

I'm a FTM mommy in March to a baby boy. I went to the source circumcision.org...

Some of the info frightens me. Like to infants response to circumcision. Sad

are there any mommy's who could share their stories if they chose circumcision? Did it interfere with bonding?  Did it interfere with sleep patterns? Was baby's feeding behavior shown to deteriorate? Etc..Please share your experiences...

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: To snip or not to snip???

• Options

DS is circumcised. Our pedi did it a couple of hours before we left the hospital. We didnt watch but he was only gone about 10 minutes and wasn't crying when he got back. No issues with any of the things you mentioned. 

DH felt very strongly about having it done. I see both sides of the argument so I went with his opinion.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Like PP, my husband feels strongly on this topic as well. He sent me this article a few weeks back in support of circumcision:

https://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-circumcision-20111004,0,5003875.story

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My father is in charge of setting up the brisk for Liam. I come from a Jewish family so we are having a private ceremony done where they name the baby. I actually don't plan on being around while most of this happens, because I don't think I could stand hearing my baby cry =( I'm also nervous about this so I'm glad you mentioned it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We're definitely going to circumcise if we're having a boy. I don't have any personal experiences, but it will not interfere with bonding, sleep patterns, or feeding patterns. Even if you thought it might, how can you prove that the circumcision was the cause (though I guess you can say that you can't prove that it isn't the cause, but still). 

That website scares me, just because it has a lot of misinformation and it is super one-sided. Talk to your doctor or pediatrician about your concerns. 

• Options
    I replied to you on the post on 2nd tri...not that my post really gives much helpful information Confused
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    I have to stay away from site's like that or I'm afraid I'll change my mind! Our little guy will be getting circumcised. I'm sure I'll be a mess over it.
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    imageaquababy320:

We're definitely going to circumcise if we're having a boy. I don't have any personal experiences, but it will not interfere with bonding, sleep patterns, or feeding patterns. Even if you thought it might, how can you prove that the circumcision was the cause (though I guess you can say that you can't prove that it isn't the cause, but still). 

That website scares me, just because it has a lot of misinformation and it is super one-sided. Talk to your doctor or pediatrician about your concerns. 

FWIW, it HAS shown to interfere with BFing in some babies. (Mainly because they are very sleepy from the endorphins released to handle the pain, so they have poor first few nursing sessions.)

• Options
    imagesunnyday016:
    imageaquababy320:

FWIW, it HAS shown to interfere with BFing in some babies. (Mainly because they are very sleepy from the endorphins released to handle the pain, so they have poor first few nursing sessions.)

I should have specified, I meant in the long run. 

• Options
    imageaquababy320:
    imagesunnyday016:
    imageaquababy320:

Oh ok. In that case I agree with you Big Smile

I should have specified, I meant in the long run. 

Oh ok, In that case I agree with you :)

• Options
    Our son will be getting it, I don't really think not getting it is even a option. I have a nephew that is not circumcised and my mom is so mad about it. She thinks when he gets older and have to go in front of other guys, they will make fun of him. That is not our reasoning but it does look weird lol
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I let DH decide, I figured that was his area not mine. DS is circumcised. He had zero issue with the procedure and it did not impact BFing at all.

• Options
    DH is not, and said if we ever have a boy (which doesn't seem to be in the cards for us) we would def have it done.  He hated not being circumcised growing up.  As a kid, he wasn't always careful about pulling the skin back regularly so he remembers many excruciated episodes of having to tear it back.  It was awful.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am going to treat the circumcision website in  OP's post the same way I treat the PETA site.  I'm sure they really believe the info/crap they put out there.  However, I am sure if I felt like looking I could find several others that counter or disagree with what that site said.  

Either way we will be getting Liam circumcised. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I guess I'll be the lone dissenter because we will not be circumcising Liam. I see absolutely no valid reasons to do it, and DH agrees. To each their own, I guess. Oh, and DH is circumcised.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyName Ticker Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Dh is and I just assumed that since he was that we would do it to our son as well, but when I asked him I was rather surprised when he said 'nah'.  So I'll just go by his opinion.  We are team green so I don't know if we'll even have a boy.
  • Options

I'm a FTM, too, and have no firsthand experience w/ this, but almost every man I know is circumcised. We're going to circumcise our son b/c I come from a Jewish family so we will have a bris for him @ my folks' place w/ close family and friends when he is 8 days old. DH is circumcised so we wanted our son circumcised, too, anyways.

My brother had a bris of course and he developed fine as far as I know and DH and my BIL are fine. I don't understand the huge controversy. I guess it's not technically "necessary" but it won't screw up your child down the line. It is a personal decision, however, so you and your SO should look seriously @ the pros and cons and speak w/ your doctor if you're really concerned.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I can see reasons for doing it, and I can see reasons for not doing it. We're Team Green and if we have a boy, more than likely we will not be circ'ing. I thought the LA Times article was good, but I don't like how they state the statistics for HIV/HPV. It seems somewhat irresponsible when people credit circ'ing with less STDs. Safe sex will result in lower STD rates whether a man is circ'ed or not. 
    TTC #1 12.2009 BFP #1 7.2.2011 Baby Girl 3.17.2012
    Cycle 11 - Clomid 100mg + Follistim + hCg trigger + IUI= BFP!
    Beta/P4 #1(13dpo): 94.5/47, Beta/P4 #2 (17dpo): 625/19.5, Beta/P4 #3 (19dpo): 1285/18.2
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP Chart
  • Options

We circumcised our son, and we had absolutely no issues with bonding or sleep that weren't related to our son being a newborn. My husband was not cir'd at birth, and it really bothered him, to the point he chose to have it done as a teen.  It was a much more painful experience then, and it also can have many, many more negative effects if it's a decision made later on.  

As to the STD situation, there is evidence to suggest that the additional skin provides a place for bacteria/viruses to hide until there is an opportune time for transmission.  Here's a meta analysis of studies examining the issue with links to specific studies: https://sti.bmj.com/content/76/6/474.short 

• Options
    We're not.  No reason to.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The one thing that we didn't realize with my son was that we needed to make sure the skin didn't attempt to reattach, which it was starting to do. It's not a big deal, but it's important to know how to take care of it, just like it's important to know how to take care of an uncirc'd penis.
  • Options

We are going to "snip", but only because DHs wants it. I'm against it for various reasons, but not to the point where I want to argue about with H. He is snipped and so our son will be as well. I haven't gone on the hunt for info because I'm afraid it will pisss me off lol.

My one stipulation was this: Since H wants it done, he has to go with our son and be there when it happens. I'm sorry, but my personal thinking is if you choose to put your child in pain you had better dang well be ready to be there for them and sit through it with them. Your son doesn't get a choice on the matter so a parent had better be there to comfort him. I don't understand parents who don't go with. But that's just me and my two cents.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageBitsKD13:

I am going to treat the circumcision website in  OP's post the same way I treat the PETA site.  I'm sure they really believe the info/crap they put out there.  However, I am sure if I felt like looking I could find several others that counter or disagree with what that site said.  

Either way we will be getting Liam circumcised. 

I'm with you on that website. There are numerous sites like that, and I hate the one-sidedness of their views (which are presented as facts). Talk to your pediatrician, talk to your OB (mine said she performs the procedure right at the hospital, often a few hours before discharging you and the baby). There are, of course, reasons for both sides of the argument, but ultimately you and your DH will have to make the decision.

We will be circumcising our son. We're Jewish, but nowhere near religious enough to do a bris, so we're doing it at the hospital. DH is very pro-circumcision (poor guy was circumcised when he was 6 years old when he and his parents moved to the States, because it was really not done in the former Soviet Union), and I agree with him on it.

And ETA: Sheena, when I was talking to my OB about it, she said that they usually don't allow a parent to go in with the baby, but they are more than welcome to wait right outside the door. I'm not sure if it's just the policy of this particular hospital (and I won't be delivering there anyway, since we're moving), but you might want to check beforehand.

• Options
    We are Jewish, so we did it mainly for religious reasons. I will tell you we had DS circumsized at 8 days old at our house. We got the best mohel. My whole family watched. I thought it would be terrible but it wasn't. DS only cried for a second, then I held him, bf'ed for a bit and then he took a nap. We had no adverse effect or problems. It's personal preference but not a decision that should be based on fear. Oh and that site seems biased.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

working in birthing centers and urologist's office i have seen circ's done many many times by diff providers using diff techniques.  i've seen the plastibell, mogen clamp and the gomco clamp. 

i have also seen problems from circ'ing.  we have corrected problems that were caused by other providers, this is rare i'm sure compared to how many circ's are done.  some problems we've seen are severe and often times the more serious complications don't present right away.  the most serious one that i remember is when too much skin was taken off and the boy was in extreme pain when he would get an erection. 

likewise i've seen problems with not circing, nothing that was irreversible though.  usually the problems we see are infections under the skin from not keeping it clean and adhesions.  both are easily corrected, imo. 

we are undecided and team green, so it might not be an issue.  i don't want to have it done because i don't see the need.  DH wants to do it because his brother wasn't and then had to have it done at the age of 12.  if DH still wants it done after watching videos of it done, then he can take our baby to one of the dr's that i work with and he can hold the baby's hand while it is done. 

• Options
    We had DS done in the hospital a few hours before we left to go home. He was gone for about 15min (shorten pd of time then when the pedi checked him out) he came back and was perfectly fine, not crying, not sleeping just looking around. We had to wait for his first wet diaper (20 minutes later) to be able to go home. His feedings were not messed up, sleeping not messed up just the same little baby. Taking care of him after wards was actually pretty simple for about a week we put vasaline and a 2x2 on him so that he didnt stick to the diaper. Little babies heal quickly. It is all your preference dont let people sway you either way. GL with your decision! 
  • Options
    I let DH decide and he wants DS circ'ed, so we are. *shrug*
  • Options
    imageSheenaNash1:

We are going to "snip", but only because DHs wants it. I'm against it for various reasons, but not to the point where I want to argue about with H. He is snipped and so our son will be as well. I haven't gone on the hunt for info because I'm afraid it will pisss me off lol.

My one stipulation was this: Since H wants it done, he has to go with our son and be there when it happens. I'm sorry, but my personal thinking is if you choose to put your child in pain you had better dang well be ready to be there for them and sit through it with them. Your son doesn't get a choice on the matter so a parent had better be there to comfort him. I don't understand parents who don't go with. But that's just me and my two cents.

FWIW, I don't think parents are allowed in at the hospital where I'll deliver. I don't know if this is a common thing, or just our hospital's policy. It's considered a surgical procedure, so only medical staff are allowed in the room. 

• Options
    imageLoolaide:

You might want to ask this question on another board (maybe babies 0-3 months) to get more real-life experiences.

DH and I are in agreement that we're not doing it if we're having a boy, although I'm probably more vehement about it.  

FYI - I've heard that it might not be covered by insurance (but that's hearsay), so check with your insurance company to make sure it's covered if you decide to do it. 

I spoke to our benefits person during our open enrollment last week and brought up circumcision and asked if it was covered. She said it was not, but the cost of one is roughly $50, so it's not as bad as I was thinking it would be.

• Options
    oh wow, $50 isn't bad at all!  we charged $250 at the birth center, not sure what we charge at the dr's office, but i know it's in the ball park of $250. 
  • Options
    imagesunnyday016:
    imageSheenaNash1:

Well yeah definitely if thats the case then so be, theres nothing to be done about that. Although that would make me very sad to leave my baby. :(

FWIW, I don't think parents are allowed in at the hospital where I'll deliver. I don't know if this is a common thing, or just our hospital's policy. It's considered a surgical procedure, so only medical staff are allowed in the room. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicTTC #1 since April '11.- BFP 7/3/11! - EDD 3/13/12 - Dean born 3/15/12! - Lovely Labor Buddies with PsychGirl33!! <3 </br> Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

DS1 is circumcised and we fully intend to circumcise DS2. (It's just our personal choice on it)

We actually had to wait  until DS1 was 2 weeks old due to weight gain issues and we got to be in the room while the dr did it. He was exclusively BF and it did not interfer with bonding, sleep, or behavior.

Diaper changers were probably the hardest on me because I was afraid to hurt him but the nurse gave us an awesome tip. She told us to buy a tub of petroleum jelly and use a butter knife and generously spread it in the diaper and you can do a few at a time so you have them ready. It made it so much easier and we never had any issues with any "sticking" to the diaper.

He slept most of the day after they did it but he still ate like a champ when he woke up and was a pretty happy baby overall. 

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We did it with DS.  It was a decision that we thought about very carefully, weighed the pros and cons, etc.  In the end, I am glad we did it.

There were no problems at all, before, during or after.  DS was fine.  He was about 6 weeks old when we had it done.  I have heard that if you get it done when they are brand new, they sleep through it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    we are for sure doing it, even though it will cost us $500.00.
    image image image Michael Madison III born on 3/29/12 at 7:40am. 7 lb., 13 oz, 20.5 inches. Emergency C-section due to umbilical cord prolapse.
  • Options

DS was circumcised and he didn't have any problems.  He was exclusively BF'd so no issues there.  He was already a very sleepy baby before they did it b/c of his traumatic birth.  I pushed for 3 1/2 hrs and they finally had to use the vacuum to get him out.  We will also be getting this baby circumcised. 

Also, our insurance covered the procedure.

• Options
    I do not have a penis so I don't think I should be the one who makes the decision.  With that said, I asked my DH since he knows first hand what it's like to have a penis (haha) and he looked at me as if I was crazy that it was even a question.  Soo our son will get circumcised.  If it was up to me, I would have made the same decision as I knew many guys who were teased for not getting circumcised.  Not that i'd base my decision on only that, but it's a valid point.  Also, I see how dirty my nephews are and there is no way that they would practice proper hygeine if they were not circumcised.
    +hpt on December 27th, 2010--miscarriage and D&C at 12 weeks--angel taken too soon but never forgotten Clomid started June 2011-- +hpt July 2, 2011--grow baby grow :) Chance Bryant born @ 31 weeks due to abruption Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"