3rd Trimester

Questions about contractions, and labor, and other...

Hi Ladies,

This is really a first for me, but I can't seem to find answers else where so here I am! I am 32 weeks with my first, a little back history about me... I was told by every doctor I have ever seen from the age of 10 and up that I would never be able to successfully conceive my own child; My DH married me knowing he wanted children, and knowing that I wouldn?t be able to give him that naturally, though that didn?t stop us from trying anyway. After 2 years and finding out it was defiantly me that was the problem we tried 2 rounds of clomid which failed horribly, it literally didn?t work at all what so ever. So DH and I decided to wait a year, save up some, seeing as our insurance didn?t cover for any of the tests, clomid or any doctor visit that had to do with infertility our savings account took a hint.

Happily one night I took a test, drug free and there it was Pregnant, followed by 3 more consecutive ?Pregnants? and a lot of crying? as you can probably imagine we are thrilled. Now 32 weeks later, and a healthy pregnancy I find my self wondering many things that no one can describe or give me the answers to, so here goes?

1.       What do BH contractions, and regular contractions feel like? I?ve researched this, and I know it is extremely different for everyone, but I am always told that I will just know? HOW WILL I KNOW? I have a very high pain tolerance, what if I don?t know and I end up giving birth at the grocery store or something?

2.       What exactly does ?Measuring big? mean? I don?t have GD, and I have been taking care of myself through out my entire pregnancy, I have actually LOST 30lbs, so why is it my doctor is telling me that I could be having an 8lb baby?!? I know it doesn?t seem like a lot but the thought of something that?s 8lbs coming out of me scares me. Our ultra sounds from my point of view look relatively normal; could it just be that our baby has gotten Daddy?s height?

3.       What?s your take on this and why, Natural or drugs? I would personally like to go naturally; I am just curious as to what other people?s plans are/where/ was.

4.       Am I wrong to worry about my husband ?wanting? me after? It sounds selfish to me and I feel awful for thinking this when I could be worrying about so many other things, but am I ever going to ?come back? after I have this baby vaginally?

Thanks everyone so much, I really appreciate it!

Re: Questions about contractions, and labor, and other...

• First, CONGRATULATIONS on a happy & healthy surprise pregnancy!

I'm a FTM myself, but from my experiences so far (sitting at 39 weeks right now) I can answer a little bit for you.

1) BH don't really hurt or even get uncomfortable until way late in the pregnancy. I have a pretty high pain tolerance myself and didn't realize what I was feeling until a round hit me while I was at the OB and she pointed it out to me. I've had some pretty nasty prodromal labor, and trust me, even with a high pain tolerance you'll be able to tell the real thing. Maybe not the first time, but by the 2nd time a contraction hits, you'll have the lightbulb moment and realize "oh, okay. There we go."

2) Measuring big doesn't necessarily mean anything. Growth ultrasounds and even measurements can be off. I think the only time is becomes a real concern is later in pregnancy if there are other complications, but I could be wrong on that one.

3) While I'd love to go naturally, I'm a realist and am not excluding the possibility of having medications. I figure if I need them, I'll ask for them, otherwise I'm going to do my best to avoid them. Main reason for this: I want to be able to sleep once it's all over instead of having to wait for drugs to wear off and be monitored so much. We have a sketchy family history with anesthetics and analgesics.

4) I'm worried about the same thing! Maybe a current mommy can calm us both down on this one!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBugsMommy2be:

Hi Ladies,

This is really a first for me, but I can't seem to find answers else where so here I am! I am 32 weeks with my first, a little back history about me... I was told by every doctor I have ever seen from the age of 10 and up that I would never be able to successfully conceive my own child; My DH married me knowing he wanted children, and knowing that I wouldn?t be able to give him that naturally, though that didn?t stop us from trying anyway. After 2 years and finding out it was defiantly me that was the problem we tried 2 rounds of clomid which failed horribly, it literally didn?t work at all what so ever. So DH and I decided to wait a year, save up some, seeing as our insurance didn?t cover for any of the tests, clomid or any doctor visit that had to do with infertility our savings account took a hint.

Happily one night I took a test, drug free and there it was Pregnant, followed by 3 more consecutive ?Pregnants? and a lot of crying? as you can probably imagine we are thrilled. Now 32 weeks later, and a healthy pregnancy I find my self wondering many things that no one can describe or give me the answers to, so here goes?

1.       What do BH contractions, and regular contractions feel like? I?ve researched this, and I know it is extremely different for everyone, but I am always told that I will just know? HOW WILL I KNOW? I have a very high pain tolerance, what if I don?t know and I end up giving birth at the grocery store or something? I think I have a pretty good pain tolerance. I didn't know I was having contractions until they had me hooked up at the hospital and they got pretty bad. They were 3 minutes apart and I was already dialating. When I started to feel them it was just uncomfortable in my lower belly and then my lower back started to get sore. After awhile though as they were intensifing I could definately feel them. The whole belly gets TIGHT and it's just painful.

2.       What exactly does ?Measuring big? mean? I don?t have GD, and I have been taking care of myself through out my entire pregnancy, I have actually LOST 30lbs, so why is it my doctor is telling me that I could be having an 8lb baby?!? I know it doesn?t seem like a lot but the thought of something that?s 8lbs coming out of me scares me. Our ultra sounds from my point of view look relatively normal; could it just be that our baby has gotten Daddy?s height? Up until my last appointment DS has been measuring a week ahead. I am down my pre-pregnancy weight as well. They go by the measurements they do of the baby. (The tape measure on the belly)

3.       What?s your take on this and why, Natural or drugs? I would personally like to go naturally; I am just curious as to what other people?s plans are/where/ was. I say if you think you're up to it go for it! With DD I chose epi because I was afraid of the pain, etc. My epi failed and I ended up delivering her w/out anything. It is doable whether you plan it or not.

4.       Am I wrong to worry about my husband ?wanting? me after? It sounds selfish to me and I feel awful for thinking this when I could be worrying about so many other things, but am I ever going to ?come back? after I have this baby vaginally? I had thought about this prior to having DD. Afterwards though everything went back to normal. I'm assuming that the same will happen this time as well.

Thanks everyone so much, I really appreciate it!

By the way, CONGRATS on your pregnancy!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • 1) BH for me simply feel like a tightening of my whole stomach.  Real contractions started out feeling like period cramps that were timeable.  Don't worry about not knowing if you're in labor or not. If you notice that what you think are BH coming consistently in intervals and over time becoming more intense... give a call to your doctor or L&D to see if they can take a look.  You will most likely have plenty of time for contractions to get intense.  I labored for 30 hours before DD was born but others labor much less.  

2) Measuring big simply means that your fundal height is bigger than 32 cm.  Your uterus should grow 1 cm every week so if you're 32 weeks then your funal height should be 32 cm (give or take 2-3 cm).  If you have a tall DH then your LO could be tall too and that could be why you're measuring on the larger side.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Also know that u/s weight measurements can be off up to 1-2 lbs in either direction.  So if the u/s said your baby weighs 5 lbs now know that your baby could weigh between 4-6 lbs.

3) With DD1 I wanted to go naturally (w/o drugs) but after 17 hours of labor, being only 5 cm dilated, and being exhausted at 2:30AM, I asked for an Epi.  I'm glad I did so I could get the much needed rest before my DD was born.  

4)  Your body will go back to normal after you have the baby (even your vaginal area).  I had 2nd degree tears with my DD and sex hurt like hell the first few months.  But we kept trying (mainly because my poor DH needed some tender love) and it got better and better for me.  The first time neither one of us had an orgasm because it seriously felt like I was tearing all over again (this was 8 weeks postpartum).  Two weeks later it still hurt but my DH was able to "finish".  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Congrats! 

1.       What do BH contractions, and regular contractions feel like? I?ve researched this, and I know it is extremely different for everyone, but I am always told that I will just know? HOW WILL I KNOW? I have a very high pain tolerance, what if I don?t know and I end up giving birth at the grocery store or something?

When I had BH - I only felt my stomach get really tight.  It was a little uncomfortable but never painful.  The start of my contractions last time felt like mentrual cramps.  I am one of those people who will tell you that you will know when the time comes.  I was afraid that I would not know when real labor started.. but I had no doubt in my mind what it was once everything began.

2.       What exactly does ?Measuring big? mean? I don?t have GD, and I have been taking care of myself through out my entire pregnancy, I have actually LOST 30lbs, so why is it my doctor is telling me that I could be having an 8lb baby?!? I know it doesn?t seem like a lot but the thought of something that?s 8lbs coming out of me scares me. Our ultra sounds from my point of view look relatively normal; could it just be that our baby has gotten Daddy?s height?

Your doctor's estimate is just that - an estimate.  Try not to worry yourself too much about baby's weight. 

3.       What?s your take on this and why, Natural or drugs? I would personally like to go naturally; I am just curious as to what other people?s plans are/where/ was.

If I am able to deliver naturally - great.  No need for drugs if I don't need them.  BUT - if I feel like I need an epidural I will not hesitate to ask for one.  My labor was not progressing at all with my son.  Once I had my epidural I was able to relax and let my body do it's job.  I honestly felt like the epdidural really helped to get me progressed as a result.  But, again, if I can go without them this time - great.  If not -- I'm okay with that too. I will make my decision based on how I feel things are progressing/ going.

4.       Am I wrong to worry about my husband ?wanting? me after? It sounds selfish to me and I feel awful for thinking this when I could be worrying about so many other things, but am I ever going to ?come back? after I have this baby vaginally?

Things reall do bounce back -- you would be so surprised how fast.. LOL.  He will still want you - if he does not then there is something wrong with him.  Most men are so happy to have their partner's back after the 6 week (or longer depending on if you had sex while pregnant) wait.

Good luck!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 1. Contractions feel like your abdomen tightening, like you are gripped in a vise, along with having painful cramp-like feelings. You will know if you are having a contraction.

2. An 8 pound baby is not big. Where do people get these ideas from? Good lord, most women would be happy to have an 8 pound baby. I believe now that 8 pounds isn't even the average size of an American baby these days. It's over 8.

3. I had an epidural with #1 and plan to have it with #2. Things happen that are not in your "plan" though, so be prepared for anything!

4. Yes, you will be fine. Women have been having babies for thousands of years and the men keep coming back for more!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"