Austin Babies

Neighbors and their dogs- is this ok?

My neighbor lets his two big dogs run loose when he gets home at night and they like to do their business in my yard. It really irks me and today I shoveled up some of their crap, walked across the street and dumped it in their yard.

Is this ok? Or would I be better to muster the courage to confront them?

Our Christmas Eve baby>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers>

Re: Neighbors and their dogs- is this ok?

• imageKittyFX:

Or would I be better to muster the courage to confront them?

Probably, but what you did was WAY funnier.  If you're not wanting to face them, write a note (signed by you, obvi - I think anon notes are silly).

That's so gross. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageKittyFX:

Is this ok? Or would I be better to muster the courage to confront them?

If he isn't polite enough to pick up the crap out of your yard, he probably won't pick it up out of his own yard.  So you're really just transplanting the problem of the poop not getting picked up, KWIM? 

I would either say something to him or just keep picking it up and move on. 

• Loading the player...
  • ugh, our neighbor does this too.  I haven't caught them in the act in our yard, otherwise I'd say something. 

Related...I have SUCH an issue with people who let their dogs out in the front yards without leashes.  Especially when they're clearly untrained.  Especially when they're puppies.  Especially when they go around from yard to yard out of eyesight of the house and across the street and the owners are too lazy to even watch them from their front yards, much less make sure they're not in danger from cars.

Help for Haiti: Learn What You Can Do

BFP 12.20.2010 :: missed m/c 1/2011 around 8 weeks
    BFP @ 9dpo 5.24.2011 :: missed m/c 6/2011 around 7 weeks
    positive for ANAs (1:40) with a speckled pattern
    MTHFR c677t mutation (heterozygous)
    *folic acid, baby asprin, Prometrium, acupuncture, Lovenox*
    BFP @ 9dpo 2.1.2012 || HCG = 8 : Progesterone = 19.2
    2nd HCG @ 11dpo = 40 || 3rd HCG @ 21dpo = over 5000!
    Stick, little one, stick! EDD October 15, 2012
  • could you walk out there to do something so he would feel bad maybe? like get something out of your car, open your garage, turn on the outside light?  if he doesn't feel bad about it, then scoop the poop!  it would make me feel better.

or you could do what dh does sometimes and send a letter from your 'neighborhood watch group' lol! we have had 100% success with these letters :)

09/21/09 and 08/16/2011 image
  • Definitely say something to him and don't feel nervous. What they're doing is totally normal (they'd rather use a yard other than their own) but it's not acceptable for him to allow him to do so.

I'd sweetly say, "I'm sure you didn't realize it, but when you let your dogs run around off leash in the evening, they're coming over to my yard to poop." Hopefully, he's just unaware and will feel terrible and stop them immediately. 

If he doesn't, report to the HOA. If that doesn't work, dump poop in his yard ;)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • If it were me, I would keep putting the sh!t back in their yard and not say anything.  But I'm a 12 year old like that. 

You could say something, but he probably won't change what he's doing.  With a toddler, I would definitely be picking it and hauling it over there so he can step in his own dogshit.

• As a responsible dog owner, crap like this gets me riled up. I would absolutely say something to him, not only about the poop but also the fact that he's breaking the leash laws of your city/county (depending on where you live).

When you talk to him, don't just make it about the mess in your yard - if the dog isn't pooping in your yard, the situation still isn't ok, you know what I mean? Warn the guy once and then say that every single time that you see the dog off leash, you will call animal control to file a complaint.

• imageYellowUmbrella:

As a responsible dog owner, crap like this gets me riled up. I would absolutely say something to him, not only about the poop but also the fact that he's breaking the leash laws of your city/county (depending on where you live).

When you talk to him, don't just make it about the mess in your yard - if the dog isn't pooping in your yard, the situation still isn't ok, you know what I mean? Warn the guy once and then say that every single time that you see the dog off leash, you will call animal control to file a complaint.

Yup.  And, though personally I'm not a huge fan of people who call the authorities on things like this (and noise disturbances) before trying to work it out themselves, theres nothing to say that you HAVE to confront him yourself.  If you're more comfortable, you can certainly call your Animal Control officer and make an "anonymous" complaint.  Just tell them what time it's happening, and request the ACO respond to your street at that time so they can see for themselves.

Curious:  does the owner stay outside and watch them do their business, or does he just let them out, then come back and call them in after however long?  Either way, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things regarding leash law.  But if owner is outside, it's easier for ACO to identify him as the owner (unless the dogs happen to have tags).

• I know I need to say something. I just hate starting any strife with the neighbors. But I guess by picking it up and putting it in his yard I'm starting something anyway. I'm just so frustrated by it especially since the dogs are big so the mess is really big too.

I definitely will try the be outside when he lets them out approach and see if I can get face time with him when they are out.

Our Christmas Eve baby>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers>
  • imageamyliisa:
    imageYellowUmbrella:

As a responsible dog owner, crap like this gets me riled up. I would absolutely say something to him, not only about the poop but also the fact that he's breaking the leash laws of your city/county (depending on where you live).

Yup.  And, though personally I'm not a huge fan of people who call the authorities on things like this (and noise disturbances) before trying to work it out themselves, theres nothing to say that you HAVE to confront him yourself.  If you're more comfortable, you can certainly call your Animal Control officer and make an "anonymous" complaint.  Just tell them what time it's happening, and request the ACO respond to your street at that time so they can see for themselves.

Curious:  does the owner stay outside and watch them do their business, or does he just let them out, then come back and call them in after however long?  Either way, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things regarding leash law.  But if owner is outside, it's easier for ACO to identify him as the owner (unless the dogs happen to have tags).

He doesn't watch them. He lets them out and after a while he comes out to call them back. They do have tags. He seems to like his dogs, just not his neighbors or the environment.

• I just stopped our neighbor the other day because I was loading the kids up in the car and his dog crapped in our yard and on the sidewalk and just kept walking. I finished buckling the kids up and drove to where they were and made him go back and clean up the sh!t. It's ridiculous to think someone else should have to pick up feces from your pet.
  • imageMrsRosie:
    imageKittyFX:

Or would I be better to muster the courage to confront them?

Yeah.

I'd ask them to stop.  If he fails to keep his dogs in his yard or clean up after them after you've spoken with him, then sh!t slinging is fair game.  DH does this.  He's politely asked them to stop and I've talked to the wife.  We've also caught them in the act of letting their dog do it's business in our yard.  So with that being said, we've given them plenty of opportunities to right their wrongs, and we're fed up.  Or I should say DH is fed up.  So he flings away. 

• imageBLONDIE6FT:

or you could do what dh does sometimes and send a letter from your 'neighborhood watch group' lol! we have had 100% success with these letters :)

Please don't do this. We got an anonymous letter from a neighbor about an issue that honestly wasn't our dog (really) and the letter pissed me off to no end. Either keep picking up the poop quietly, or be an adult and discuss it with the person face to face or with a signed letter.

• imagelibbyann:
    imageBLONDIE6FT:

Please don't do this. We got an anonymous letter from a neighbor about an issue that honestly wasn't our dog (really) and the letter pissed me off to no end. Either keep picking up the poop quietly, or be an adult and discuss it with the person face to face or with a signed letter.

sorry you got one (it wasn't us lol!), but we will continue to do this once in a blue moon. we don't write anything mean--it actually sounds professional, so it kind of makes people wonder if they are gonna get fined (no we aren't impersonating the hoa or anything...but renters tend to wonder!)

if we lived in a nicer area that had a strong hoa, we would use them.

• imageBLONDIE6FT:

sorry you got one (it wasn't us lol!), but we will continue to do this once in a blue moon. we don't write anything mean--it actually sounds professional, so it kind of makes people wonder if they are gonna get fined (no we aren't impersonating the hoa or anything...but renters tend to wonder!)

To each his own. But when you get a letter about your dog whining/barking when it's not your dog and you later find out that it's the dog of the person who lives behind you that's the offender, it's really annoying. To me, that's just immature - face the person or own up and sign your name.

• I should have added this to my confession list ...

We have taken our neighbor's dog sh*t back to him.

The guy is crazy, and just yells/mumbles incoherently (yes, this is the lawyer neighbor) when we try to talk to him. Anyways, for the last 5 years, he's brought his dogs to our yard to *** every morning (yes again, this is the same guy who told me I had to get rid of my dogs because he doesn't like big dogs). He doesn't just let them crap in my yard, he encourages them to. I have never stepped in dog poo in my backyard where my dogs go, but have multiple times in my front yard! It's infuriating! I'm too chicken to confront him, and I don't think it would do any good anyways. So DH packed up all the poo from our front yard, and left it in the bag on his front porch. It didn't work, but damnit it made us feel better.

Yes, I guess the mature, effective thing to do would be to write a letter, but maturity be damned!

• imagelibbyann:
    imageBLONDIE6FT:

To each his own. But when you get a letter about your dog whining/barking when it's not your dog and you later find out that it's the dog of the person who lives behind you that's the offender, it's really annoying. To me, that's just immature - face the person or own up and sign your name.

fwiw i watch the dog poop before writing, because i have a dog too! i would be sensitive about the topic too if i got a letter that i shouldn't have. the people we have had to address are not the kind of people who respond to polite reasoning. so i will continue to be immature Stick out tongue

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"