June 2011 Moms

BLW/Picky Eater concern - Any BTDT advise?

My BFF did BLW with her now 14 month old DD.  She is the worst eater ever.  She might eat 4 small bites of whatever is being served for lunch, but has zero desire to eat table food.  I was all on board with BLW until I spent a few days with them and realized how little her DD was eating, since it's my understanding that by a year the majority of calories should shift from BM/formula to food.

I do think there are some habits that could be contributing to this, like nursing before lunch, yet can't help but wonder if this is an isolated case of picky eating or characteristic of BLW feeding.  FWIW, she did start solids really late - at 8 months I believe.

Any BTDT moms have any words of wisdom? 

TTC #1 5/97 - PCOS dx 6/10 - Metformin 8/10 - Moved from Endo to RE 9/10 - 50mg Clomid 9/10 - 100mg Clomid 10/18 - BFP - Beta #1 = 91 - Beta #2 = 958 EDD 6/28/11 Tater Tot arrived 6/21/11 on his Great Grandmother's 90th Birthday

Re: BLW/Picky Eater concern - Any BTDT advise?

• I think it's more the kid than BLW. DS is a great eater - will try anything- and we did BLW from six months on.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think the research states that kids who blw are actually less likely to be picky eaters so I think this is an isolated incident.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageWymasa:
    I think the research states that kids who blw are actually less likely to be picky eaters so I think this is an isolated incident.

This is what I've read as well.

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We did BLW with DD and she's by far the best eater of all her toddler buddies. She will eat basically anything, from sushi to tomatoes.
  • I think a lot of it is just phases that kids go through. We did a combination of homemade and store bought purees with my daughters and I think they are pretty decent eaters for their age. They eat whatever we are having for dinner and love fruits, veggies, and other more "out there" things like pesto, hummus, etc.

At 14 months my girls were a lot pickier, but I think it was more about having control over something. They would refuse to eat something one day and LOVE it the next. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagekattyleigh:
    We did BLW with DD and she's by far the best eater of all her toddler buddies. She will eat basically anything, from sushi to tomatoes.

Would you mind if I PMed you? I want to know how to start and how to get iron in her diet w/out using vitamin drops, etc. I am ridiculously picky as is my husband, but we both love/hate different things so hopefully we can raise a kid that eats ALL the things we like (as well as the things we don't). :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for your reassurances.  I hope she's an isolated case and we have a different experience with DS.  Still deciding if it's the right path for us or if we'll go the puree route.
    TTC #1 5/97 - PCOS dx 6/10 - Metformin 8/10 - Moved from Endo to RE 9/10 - 50mg Clomid 9/10 - 100mg Clomid 10/18 - BFP - Beta #1 = 91 - Beta #2 = 958 EDD 6/28/11 Tater Tot arrived 6/21/11 on his Great Grandmother's 90th Birthday
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"