Baby Names
Options

Names you love but your last name ruins it..

2»

Re: Names you love but your last name ruins it..

• Options
    Summer, but our last name is a different season.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Our last name is one syllable and starts with a "her" sound 

Eleanor - sounds way too clunky with our last name...that one killed me :(

Hugh (a family name)

Jane, and pretty much any one syllable names. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageIvana.Stolichnaya:
    imagequeenbone:

Perfectly good names we can't use because of our last name:

Brian

Dennis

Carl

Owen 

Luke

Woodrow

Mookie

Mookie?

I think she's joking.  Don't take it!!! I'm stealing it!!  Ha!  

• Options

Last name is Powers.

That rules out Austin.

And no -er names.

And really no "P" names. Penelope Powers just doesn't cut it.

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • Options
    Our last name is 2 syllables ending in an "ee" sound so any names/nicknames that end in "ee" sound ridiculous. It also has a strong "S" in the middle so any names with S's (think Melissa, Alyssa) are out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Paige.  Totally my favorite girl name, but our last name starts with a P.  Just sounds all wrong.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Soleil..my last name rhymes with it :(
  • Options
    any pretty, feminine name that ends in -ana....Juliana, Lilliana...ryhmes with our LN and it SUCKS!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options

Sorry, but no one beats the difficulty of my last name: Mary.  Can't use any girl's name that could be double barrel name with Mary, or people will forever get it backwards, like Kate, Ann--she'd always be called Mary Kate, Mary Ann, etc...

Boy's names are impossible, because most of them are in some way a last name, and people just assume that Mary is the first name.  I swear, at Home Depot, the sales guy asked my husband if he was sure his name wasn't Mary Andrews.  Um, yeah, he's pretty sure his first name is Andrew...you know, considering he's a man and all. 

"M" names also sound ridiculous, as do names that end in a "y". 

There aren't a whole lot of names that do sound good with our last name, actually!

Big A 06-07-08 Little A 11-11-11
  • Options

imageNana_Osaki06:
    Is it sad I really can't think of a name that sounds bad with my new last name (Goodman). I really can't. Maybe some help here?

Adam Goodman makes a Dam Good Man. I knew an Adam Goodman.

For me, I love Benjamin, but our last name is similar to Moore, so Benjamin Moore is out! 

• Options

Sarah (Sara) - can't use it because the name combo would be the same as a food manufacturer

any name ending in an "e" sound - because it rhymes (sadly, my name, Kimberly, also rhymes with my married name)

any name that ends in an "l" sound - because it blends into the last name and makes it sound like an adverb

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    William - I love the name, and Will as a nickname. Unfortunately there is a celebrity (not widely remembered these days) who shares our last name. So it's out.
  • Options
    I do not mind first and middle name alliteration, but I am very sensitive to first and last name alliteration, for others I am not so judgmental, but cant do it to my own kids.  All "L"s are pretty much out for me.
  • Options
    Last name Johnson so we cant do one of my favorites: Sawyer, Harry, Wyatt, Jack
  • Options
    Gabriella...our last name is italian, begins with a G and think famous mafia family.  Gabbie Gotti (or a slight variation thereof) is blech!
  • Options

Mine is anything with a V.We have a one syllable V last name,and DH hates the alliteration,and I,unfortunately LOVE V names. So Valla,Veda,Vera,Valerie,Veronica,Victor,and Vincent (all names I absolutely love) are out from the beginning.I hate it!

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

T1 diabetes diagnosed 11/95 due to severe pancreatic injury
    BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,
    Pleural effusion, Kidney Failure
    BFP 2 4/26/12 EDD 1/3/13 M/C 5/13/12
    BFP 3 10/3/12 EDD 6/17/13 Twins! Preston and Juliet b. 5/22/13

• Options

Our last name starts with a W, and W first names with it make it sound like Elmer Fudd is saying it.  Also names with an "ora" sound rhyme with it.  So Lauren, Laura, Nora, Cora, Dora (ha!), etc. are out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Finn and Declan. Our last name sounds like Finnegan, so neither of them work.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageAlleyCatNH:
    Last name is Baker, so Mia (DH's fave) sounds like you are telling everyone what you do for a living. That and Beau, I love it but I don't like the double B sound.

I also LOVE Beau but my last name completely ruins it.  The first part of our last name rhymes with Beau. 

• Options
    Peyton and Paige. Initials would be P.U.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (JBoF)
  • Options
    imagecjpreuss:

imagesugarpumpkin716:
    roman. shockingly a lot of people think it sounds great with my last name (russomano) but i kind of hear a cartoon character or something.

I hear someone famous! I love it!!! 

I agree.  I think it sounds really good!  Love it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I like Noah for a boy, but our long 4-syablle last name ends in a "noah" sound, so it would sound too rhyme-y.
  • Options
    I like Tabitha but our surename starts Ta
  • Options
    I love the name Blake, but our last name has the same hard K sound at the end, so it's kinda rhymey.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

Our little one is going to have a double last name B(ends in)son B(ends in)s. Both names are fairly common and very Anglo sounding. All names starting with B, ending in -son and some ends in -s names are out. So are any one syllable names since the last name is so long. There are a ton of girl names that sound good with our last names, but not as many boy names. A lot of boy names mixed with our last names sound like a law firm instead of a person.

• Options
    I love Harrison, but it's cute nickname combined with our last name sounds exactly like "Harry Cooch." :(
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I like the name Edward.

However, our last name is somewhat of a variation of Edward.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

SO's last name is Lamoureux and is pronounced like "Lam-a-roe" sound so anything that ends in an O is out. I really like Indigo and Milo but it just sounds cartoony. 

On the other hand, my last name is Archbald, which goes with just about nothing.  

Oh and I like Archer but Archer Archbald is totally out of the question and Archer Lamoureux is too many "er" sounds. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker someecards.com - Your personal anecdotal evidence is so much more relevant than this legitimate scientific study.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"