Success after IF

Traveling with DS - Help me figure out food and white noise!

We are going on a trip to the Bahamas over Thanksgiving this year. We will be staying in a resort with no access to a kitchen. I have no clue how to manage to feed P his solids. I have been making all of his purees. Does anyone have experience traveling with a baby eating purees? How did you handle it? Also, P sleeps with a fan on the side of his crib near his head at home. I can't really bring a box fan with us on the plane, but we have tried to go without the fan and it was an epic fail. Do you have any ideas about how to provide similar white noise for him while sleeping? Do you think the resort will have fans? Do you know of a white noise machine that makes a fan noise? I am sure I will have mire traveling questions as we get closer to the trip... Is there anything else I should be thinking about right now? (P already has a passport.)
Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!

Re: Traveling with DS - Help me figure out food and white noise!

• Do you have an iphone or ipad?  (Or, I suspect, a variety of other smart phones).  I have a Sleep Machine app that offers a variety of sounds, including fan.  I'm sure it's not exactly the same, but wirth a try!

No clue about the purees, though, other than switching to jars for the few days your gone.

• Ipod? download white noise sounds.

I bought DS some prepacked baby/toddler food when we went overseas so that I had something handy if he got hungry or we hadn't gotten to a store yet. Some were microwavable and some were a packet that I could stick in hot water to warm up.

****formerly talentedgirl**** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • At 9 months, is he not eating any solids? I would get him on solids, ASAP.

If that isn't an option, you'll need to pack jar baby food and feed him that. Or bring a food mill and make purees on the spot with restaurant food.

Have you tried radio static to replace the fan noise?

I would not plan on having access to a fan through your hotel, and certainly not one that would be safe.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageGuitaristsGirl:

Do you have an iphone or ipad?  (Or, I suspect, a variety of other smart phones).  I have a Sleep Machine app that offers a variety of sounds, including fan.  I'm sure it's not exactly the same, but wirth a try!

No clue about the purees, though, other than switching to jars for the few days your gone.

Do you have a brand you could suggest? If I do buy food, I would like to get something as close to homemade as possible.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

• imageRoxBride:

At 9 months, is he not eating any solids? I would get him on solids, ASAP.

If that isn't an option, you'll need to pack jar baby food and feed him that. Or bring a food mill and make purees on the spot with restaurant food.

Have you tried radio static to replace the fan noise?

I would not plan on having access to a fan through your hotel, and certainly not one that would be safe.

No - last time we saw the pediatrician she said purees. We see her again for his 9 month appointment in a couple of weeks. I guess I never thought she would suggest solids. I thought you were supposed to wait for the pinch grasp to develop.
    Unexplained Infertility

TTC #2

• the radio static tip is a great one!  we tried that on vacation adn it was AWESOME!  I actually loved it because we could adjust the volume..and it was a more even white noise, so it was more soothing to me (we shared a room). 

And if you have an iphone, the White Noise app (the oscillating fan setting) was a lifesaver for us...it has stopped many meltdowns, even at home :)  we turn it on as loud as it goes and he goes into the zone :)

• As for the food - just go with jars for the trip.   Jarred baby food is actually brilliant when traveling, because it doesn't need to be refrigerated.    Even though DD was on table foods when we went on vacation when she was 9+ months old, we switched back to purees for the trip because it was so darn easy.      You can fly with jarred baby food - but just allow extra time because they may need to screen the baby food separately, jar by jar!     

and we travel with a white noise machine - we even have a small portable one that is battery operated (it is a little lamb thingy you can probably find on amazon).   Anna sleeps with a fan, but has never cared or shown any awareness when we have used a white noise machine instead of the fan.      

ETA:   as for jarred brands - I made all of her food, too, but liked Earth's Best Organic when we did use jars.   But, there are also a bunch of other organic brands now that come in pouches - which might be easier to travel with than the jars?   Target sells a bunch of them, and we still use them to help Anna get her vegetables.   Plum, HappyBaby, Ella's...  they're all great!

Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

• I traveled home to Boston when Jake was that age. I didn't make all of his foodm just some. For that trip I just did Happy Baby Pouchesey don't need to be refridgerated (I figured out how much food I would need) and brought that in my carry on I also brought all his other food/snacks. TSA gave me no problem at ALL..But I would check with your carrier jsut in case..

If you aren't comfortable with that option I would maybe call the hotel and see if they have a consierge that could help you get food in your room..

As far as the white noise. You can dowload an app to your phone and use that or get one of those small noise sheeps and bring it...I usually do a combo of both and he is totally happy.

• oh..the pouches that people are mentioning are amazing!!!  no spoon needed.  I adore these things, when we take road trips I pack a few and DS will suck one down on his own in the car :)  I also brought some on the plane when we flew with him.  

• imageDragonfly1226:

No - last time we saw the pediatrician she said purees. We see her again for his 9 month appointment in a couple of weeks. I guess I never thought she would suggest solids. I thought you were supposed to wait for the pinch grasp to develop.

Just put some mushy vegetables, egg yolk, banana, etc. in front of him.  At first, they just pick it up with their fists and shove it into their mouths, but eventually they will develop a pincer grip.  Our pedi said to try for three meals a day of finger foods starting at 9 months (which didn't happen until she was almost a year), but we started working on finger foods around 7-8 months by just putting them in front of her.  She was not on purees long at all, and some people never do purees.  

Gerber makes some organic options in plastic tubs, which are nice for traveling since they won't break.  

We also had a little food mill (Kidco, at BRU or BBB, I think) that you just put food in and it grinds the food into a puree like pp said.  

We have the homedics white noise machine - it doesn't have a fan noise (just rain, ocean, etc.), but it works well and plugs in.  We have her music on an old mp3 player with a plug-in speaker, so we can always bring that.  If you bring anything that plugs in, make sure you have the right adapter/converter.   

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Using your phone is a great idea for white noise if you can.

If not, do you have a CVS drug store near you? I was just there last night, and they had small, portable sound machines by Homedics on clearance for $2.49. I bought 3 of them for myself and friends who are pregnant. They are normally $9.99, and were marked $4.99 but came up $2.49 at the register. It is so small it would be perfect for travelling. It takes 3 AAA batteries, has a timer for 15-45 minutes, and has settings for heartbeat, white noise, rain and ocean. Hope this helps!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageDragonfly1226:
    imageGuitaristsGirl:

Do you have an iphone or ipad?  (Or, I suspect, a variety of other smart phones).  I have a Sleep Machine app that offers a variety of sounds, including fan.  I'm sure it's not exactly the same, but wirth a try!

Do you have a brand you could suggest? If I do buy food, I would like to get something as close to homemade as possible.

We used Earth's Best for DS when he didn't have homemade.  This time I think we'll also try the Happy Baby pouches - you just attach a spoon to the pouch, and there you go - seems like probably less mess.  GL and have fun!

• Use a radio for white noise.

Pack the baby food pouches rather than jars, you dont have to worry about the glass breaking.  We use Happy Baby or Plum Baby which are both organic and just the food and some water if necessary.  You can see the ingredients on the back.  You can get both of these brands at Target.  I still pour them into a bowl and use a spoon but my 3 year old could just suck it out so maybe my 8 month old could learn too.

-----Lisa-----
  • Hi - We just got back from Cancun with DS - he's nine months old.  I also make all my own food but bought Sprout Organics (Walmart, Wegmans) in zip top pouches to bring with me.  These worked well as they also served as a bowl and anything DS didn't finish I closed up and stuck in the ice bucket for the next day.  I didn't keep anything longer than 24 hours.

I brought way too many pouches but I didn't want to run out.  I also supplemeted with pancakes and toast from the breakfast buffet and plain yogurt that I mixed with his fruit purees.

We also brought along 2 spoons, 1 plastic bib for easy wiping, disposable bibs for my flight carry-on, lots of those plastic table toppers (for eating food/puffs right off the table), a portable high-chair (totseat - used this on the balcony) and a few bowls with lids (never used these). 

I carried on two days worth of food going there (didn't include them with my liquids and never go asked about them) and all of the leftovers coming back (we left early due to Hurricane Rina and were afraid of getting stuck w/o our checked luggage somewhere).  So, you shouldn't have an issue with TSA either.

the food can be served room temperature or warmed in a bowl of hot water to the desired temperature.  We mostly did room temp unless something had been on ice.

The only thing I did pre-trip was try a few of the foods that DS hadn't had before so I would know if he was allergic (Minestrone, Harvest Dinner) and I limited the variety.  So, instead of 4 dinner options I only brought 2 kinds of "dinner" but more pouches of each. 

I also packed powdered pedia-lyte (never used), banana puree and rice cereal (never used) just in case DS got diarrhea.

We requested a refrig and micro from the hotel but decloned it once there since there wasn't enough room with that and luggage and a crib!  We didn't need it.

Let me know if you have more questions.  I was super nervous about the prospect of traveling wtih an infant but, our trip went very well and we already planned the next one - a cruise just after Thanskgiving.  You are going to have a great time!

Cricket's Cadence
  • My DS wasn't on any solids at 9 months either - and these days he is a champion eater - it doesn't matter if he's not on "real" solid food yet.  You'll get there.  In the meantime, we loved Earth's Best organic jars - but the pouches suggested here sound like an excellent idea.

We also a TURBO fan in our room (DS sleeps with us) so I feel you there too - we travel with our fan to hotels but only driving - so I can see where that would NOT work on a plane.  You could try to purchase (in advance so you can try it out) and pack a small fan that still packs a good white noise punch - or I like the idea of downloading white noise to an ipod if you have some kind of ipod player you can use too.   

Good luck and I hope you have a GREAT time!

Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"