November 2011 Moms

Bottle Warmers

I am doing some research into bottle warmers, and wanted some opinions. Did any of you buy one? or did you just do it the old fashioned way and warm it up in mug of warm water? I want to be prepared in case BFing doesn't work as planned for us. The last thing I want to do is stand over a stove at 3am waiting for water to heat up, or have the microwave beep since the bedrooms are right off the kitchen.

TIA

Re: Bottle Warmers

• I have a Munchkin bottle warmer from Target. It heats bottles (and food once LO gets to that stage) in 90 seconds.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I didn't have one with DS 1 and never missed it.  Then my nephew was born and I used theirs and loved it.  It was so much quicker than heating the water in the microwave and then letting the bottle warm up (especially with a VERY impatient little one).  This time I ended up getting the same one that they had - the munchkin one from Target.  I know it's not a necessity, but the warmer was only about $15 and I loved it when I used it for my nephew.

Mommy to 2 boys (age 3 and 6)

• Loading the player...
  • We kept a crockpot full of warm water at all times.  Our baby wasn't terribly patient.  Heating up water in the microwave really wouldn't have been practical.

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesmilelari:
    We kept a crockpot full of warm water at all times.  Our baby wasn't terribly patient.  Heating up water in the microwave really wouldn't have been practical.

Hmm, that is a good idea! I would just run the tap water on hot until it got hot, and  then heated bottle in a cup. Once I switched to formula, we would run the water until it was right temp, then switched over to britta filtered water to fill it up. We probably wasted a lot of water down the drain that way...I just hated our bottle warmer though!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I Bfed, but whenever I used formula, i used room temp bottled water, or warmish tap water.  I never wanted my babies used to warm bottles, in case we were out and about and it would have been hard to warm them.....I think bottle warmers are gimmick-y
  • imageadri77:
    I Bfed, but whenever I used formula, i used room temp bottled water, or warmish tap water.  I never wanted my babies used to warm bottles, in case we were out and about and it would have been hard to warm them.....I think bottle warmers are gimmick-y

This...I don't want baby used to warm milk for our sanity, especially when we aren't near a heat source and its feeding time.

• With my son we used slightly warm tap water.  It didn't take that long to get warm water out of the tap...this way we saved the money on buying the bottle warmer and saved the space on our counter!

• Complete waste of money. It is very easy to over heat a bottle in one. Waiting for warm water from the tap or stove to get it to the right temp takes way less time than waiting for an over heated bottle to cool. 

I don't know why you would even consider it if you formula feed. You can get the water you mix the formula with at any temp you want straight from the tap or, just leave a bottle if water at room temp to use. Neither breast milk nor formula really needs to be that warm. You just have to get the chill off it.

You mentioned the microwave, you can not heat milk or formula in the microwave. It is destructive to breast milk and very likely will create hot spots in either milk or formula that can burn your child.  

• imageadri77:
    I Bfed, but whenever I used formula, i used room temp bottled water, or warmish tap water.  I never wanted my babies used to warm bottles, in case we were out and about and it would have been hard to warm them.....I think bottle warmers are gimmick-y

I will be doing this.

• we bought one last night that plugs into the car.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"