Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

why do we put the crib mattress up high?

For infants. My friends sister is having a baby and sent me a pic of the crib... It's beautiful but the mattress is really low. Why did I have the mattress up higher. Just a convience for me to not bend over so much when the baby can't stand or crawl out, so it's safe?

...I just don't remember if there was a "safety reason" to have the mattress higher vs lower during the early months.

Re: why do we put the crib mattress up high?

• Options

We put it high because, I'm so short, I would have had to have literally drop LO when putting him down. Seeing as how he couldn't move aside from flailing his arms and legs, I assume it's perfectly safe. We lowered it when he started sitting up and again when pulling himself to standing. It's on the lowest level now.

• Options
    It's just for convenience so you can actually reach the baby, since they can't sit up or reach for you. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Convenience and also the higher it is, the easier it is to keep the baby against you until right as you lay them down.  This was key for getting Aiden to stay asleep when we laid him down :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options

imageelmoali:
    Convenience and also the higher it is, the easier it is to keep the baby against you until right as you lay them down.  This was key for getting Aiden to stay asleep when we laid him down :)

This for sure... We didn't lower the crib mattress until DS could stand up in his crib.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Have you forgotten the horrors of newborn care already?

Two reasons:

1. It's easier to repetitively pick up a newborn baby that's up high.  Especially when it's a baby that you have to rock/change/nurse every 47 minutes.  Big babies only go in and out of the crib once or twice a day.

2. When you have a 2nd degree tear and have sit on pillows, gore is pouring down your legs and you've blown out your abdominal muscles, it's easier to pick up a 7 lb sack from a higher resting spot.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageJLG95:

Have you forgotten the horrors of newborn care already?

Two reasons:

1. It's easier to repetitively pick up a newborn baby that's up high.  Especially when it's a baby that you have to rock/change/nurse every 47 minutes.  Big babies only go in and out of the crib once or twice a day.

2. When you have a 2nd degree tear and have sit on pillows, gore is pouring down your legs and you've blown out your abdominal muscles, it's easier to pick up a 7 lb sack from a higher resting spot.

LOL, Yes I think I DID! Trying to school myself real quick before #2 Wink

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"