1st Trimester

keratin treatments safe

Does anyone know if Keratin treatments on yoru hair are safe while preggo? They're like the "Blowouts" but without the formaldehyde

Re: keratin treatments safe

• I had a groupon for one but decided to wait since there does not seem to be a whole lot of info about them yet...
  • Check into the exact product being used very carefully.  Many products that are advertised as non-formaldehyde actually contain some formaldehye or another similar -aldehyde chemical which also is not considered safe during pregnancy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't do it. Even the Formaldahyde free ones still contains yucky chemicals.

There are many names for Formaldehyde BTW and they will just use another name for it? such as Aldehyde.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I wouldn't trust anything in the salon as far as these "fad" keratin treatments. You don't know what chemicals are really in them..try the Aphogee two step Protein/Keratin treatment. You can buy it and do it yourself at home. I've been using it for 2 years and my hair is amazing. The only thing is it sort of stinks but..,for me it's worth it for the silkiness it gives my hair.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemrs+harlow:
    I wouldn't trust anything in the salon as far as these "fad" keratin treatments. You don't know what chemicals are really in them..try the Aphogee two step Protein/Keratin treatment. You can buy it and do it yourself at home. I've been using it for 2 years and my hair is amazing. The only thing is it sort of stinks but..,for me it's worth it for the silkiness it gives my hair.

Thank you for that info! Thats a great alternative:)

• I am a hair dresser and I would tell you not to do one until after the baby is born.  I stopped doing to service even when we were trying to concieve.  I hope that helps

• Organix makes a really effective formaldehyde/ aldehyde free treatment. 

It doesn't last as long as a salon treatment (about 4-6 weeks vs. salon treatment's 6+months), but it's worth it not to breathe all the fumes. It's also a lot cheaper, and for me, one bottle give me 4 treatments.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I too am a hairstylist.  Thanks to regulations, it can be called "formaldehyde free" but contain a certain % of it. .05% I think. Well, when you add heat to the chemical, it amplifies it. Think highlights under dryer. So NO keratin Treatment should be done. I know the Brazilian blowout actually says you can't do it if pregnant in their pamphlet, the others should do the same I'm sure. They would have to as a disclaimer.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"