Baby Names

Is the association w/ this name an issue?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this board, last week I saw a post on Addison that I was following and in the post someone mentioned the disease association.  I'm considering this name, and would like to know if you think that the disease is an issue?  I did some research and it is a rare disease (that is also known by the term adrenal gland disorder), but even though its rare, it pops up when you google Addison.  I know alot of common names are the names of diseases and disorders but they dont automatically pop up on google like Addison's Disease does.  Obviously Addison is a common name now, at least in the last 3 years, and there are alot of girls named Addison, will the disease association not be a big deal later on as the name becomes more associated as a name rather then a disease?  Will a girl/woman be self conscience or feel bad when she googles her name and sees that its also the name of a disease?  If you hate the name then fine, but please keep that issue separate from the issue Im asking about.  Thanks in advance for your input. 

Re: Is the association w/ this name an issue?

• um. i've never even heard of this. at any point in life someone will google their name. i really wouldn't worry about it at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi Adeline. Or Quin.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I don't think it would be an issue unless someone has a direct experience with that disease.  I do not think a young girl would feel bad or be upset by it.  The name is so popular at this point there are literally thousands of girls with this name, and most people will think of the other Addisons they know, not an obscure disease.
  • Yes, the fact that it's a disease would deter me.

Also that it's trendy and has 'son of' in it. 

• I said this in the last Addison post...  I have never even heard of Addison's disease and I don't think a lot of other people have either.  A lot of these diseases that are also names got their name from somebody who had the disease or was studying the disease, therefore, it was a name first (though probably a last name).  I don't think it would be a problem at all.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagesugarpumpkin716:
    um. i've never even heard of this. at any point in life someone will google their name. i really wouldn't worry about it at all.

I've heard of people doing this.

OP, I have no idea how your daughter will feel about sharing her name with a disease. I just know there will be a lot of other little girls/young women named Addison when she's growing up. The name is common enough. Even if your daughter is totally hurt and mortified at sharing her name with a disease (unlikely), she'll have a lot of people in the exact same situation to share her feelings with.

VOTE on my Name List

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageames17:
    Hi Adeline. Or Quin.

I have no idea who Adeline or Quin is, and why are you posting things on my thread that have nothing to do with my post / question?

• I had never heard of that disease until now. I'm sure that if you look hard enough you can find a negative association with any name. If you love it, then use it. 

• imageSunnyRachel:

imageames17:
    Hi Adeline. Or Quin.

I have no idea who Adeline or Quin is, and why are you posting things on my thread that have nothing to do with my post / question?

Mmm hmm.

• imageames17:
    imageSunnyRachel:

imageames17:
    Hi Adeline. Or Quin.

Mmm hmm.

Ames...who is Adeline or Quin? 

• The diease isn't my issue with the name - the popularity is.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • imageSean+Lyss:
    imageames17:
    imageSunnyRachel:

imageames17:
    Hi Adeline. Or Quin.

Mmm hmm.

The troll from the post last week asking if Addison was a trashy name. The one who went cuckoo and made threats towards a poster's baby.

• imageames17:
    imageSean+Lyss:
    imageames17:
    imageSunnyRachel:

imageames17:
    Hi Adeline. Or Quin.

Mmm hmm.

The troll from the post last week asking if Addison was a trashy name. The one who went cuckoo and made threats towards a poster's baby.

Oh! I never got to read that thread, it got DD'ed to fast. 

• imageSunnyRachel:
    imageames17:
    imageSean+Lyss:
    imageames17:
    imageSunnyRachel:

imageames17:
    Hi Adeline. Or Quin.

Mmm hmm.

If you read my post, it says I was read that thread on Addison and was made aware of the disease.  This is my first time ever posting on this board.  You can believe what you want to believe, I havent done anything wrong, and I am a bit put off that your taking my thread off topic because of what someone else did.  Nice way to make someone feel welcome.

My question now has 6 replies that have nothing to do with my actual question!  Its completely rude. 

If you say it's your first time posting one more time, it becomes true. Like Beetlejuice.

P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • The disease is not the first thing that comes to mind, for me at least.  What I think of is that it is very popular, main character on Private Practice and I believe that the Cubs stadium is on a street named Addison (which is why a friends DH was trying to get her to name their daughter this).

If you love the name, use it. 

"When the world says, 'Give up,' Hope whispers, 'Try one more time.'" -Anonymous

• imageSunnyRachel:
    imageames17:
    imageSean+Lyss:
    imageames17:
    imageSunnyRachel:

imageames17:
    Hi Adeline. Or Quin.

Mmm hmm.

If you read my post, it says I read that thread on Addison and was made aware of the disease.  This is my first time ever posting on this board.  You can believe what you want to believe, I havent done anything wrong, and I am a bit put off that your taking my thread off topic because of what someone else did.  Nice way to make someone feel welcome.  My question now has 6 replies that have nothing to do with my actual question!  Its completely rude. 

You also said that you lurked. If you had then you would realize that this is a public message board. People are going to say what they want. So put your big girl panties on and ignore the posts that you don't like. 

• I don't think it would matter so much..

in fact I think it would be kinda interesting if there was a Stephanie Disease..

:)

• Addison is so crazy popular that I really don't think the association would make a girl named Addison self-conscious.  Plus if the association with an obscure disease is a problem, then you can think of a reason not to name a kid pretty much anything else you can come up with.

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • The disease is the first thing I think of. Sorry.

There are so many nice names out there, I'd never stick my child with this one.

BFP #1 - 11/7/12 * M/C - 12/8/12 @ 7W6D
    BFP #2 - 3/2/13 * DS1 - BORN ON EDD - 11/13/13
    BFP #3 - 11/7/14 * DS2 - BORN ON EDD - 07/21/15 

• imageaubreyan:
    I don't think it would be an issue unless someone has a direct experience with that disease.  I do not think a young girl would feel bad or be upset by it.  The name is so popular at this point there are literally thousands of girls with this name, and most people will think of the other Addisons they know, not an obscure disease.

This! Man the information we have out there these days makes us go crazy. I would never think of a disease. 

TTC#2: 8/17/14 // BFP: 9/5/14

TTC#1: 7/30/11 // BFP: 8/22/11
    DS: Carson Robert 4/29/12

• I can only tell you that I do not like the name because of the disease association.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • I don't think that it matters that the name means a disease.  Every name has a meaning and some better than others, such as Kennedy means misshapen head and Calvin means bald, hairless. So you have to choose either to pick the name come what may or pick a different one.  HTH
  • one of the ugliest names around

Me(30) DH(36) TTC #1 since October 2011 <a href="http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Home D
  • It's not a good association for me as it's the very first thing that I think of when I hear the name Addison. It would definitely deter me, but I'm in medicine, so it's my job to think disease first. I may not be the best person to ask.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The name is NMS, but with that said.... I do NOT think there will be an association with it.  I think you're looking way too much into things.  Because it is a more trendy name nowadays, nobody is going to bat an eye.  Please do not even worry about the disease portion of the name. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I really hate that people keep naming their girls this. Addison is a BOY's name. It means Son of Adam!

Me (32) DH (30)

A Wordy Blog

Baby Evangeline is here!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"