Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Nurse's suggestion... have some ?s

DS is only in the 40% for weight, but DH and I have always been small too... so I kinda think som of it is genetics.... Anywho, DS is eating ~40 oz a day, so they recommended starting solids both in his bottle (cereal) and spoon feeding him... Have any of y'all started solids this early? Does any one else's baby eat this much? Also, if you add cereal to their bottle, how do you do it---she said to add a tbsp rice cereal...
Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket

Re: Nurse's suggestion... have some ?s

• I started cereal right at 4 months for the same reason. J was taking 40+ ounces of formula a day and the pedi only wanted him to take 32 ounces max.

For the bottle - get a fast flow nipple and add 1 tbsp of the dry rice cereal to your already mixed bottle. Stir it up really well and it should flow through the nipple just fine. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm no nurse, but I'm surprised they want you to beef him up when he's at 40% that's practically right down the middle! If he was like 10% or if he was losing percentages (like last check he was 60 and now he's 40) then sure, I get it. But, if you're small framed people and he's otherwise happy and healthy, I really do not get it at all.

Sorry - no advice for how to do it, since I don't feed my baby rice cereal or solids, yet. I'd probably ignore the advice if it were me, but I'm ignoring other "advice" from my pedi (she wants me to let DD CIO at night). Good luck if you do go ahead with it, I'm sure the other mamas on here will help you figure out the logistics. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMilMom2B:

I'm no nurse, but I'm surprised they want you to beef him up when he's at 40% that's practically right down the middle! If he was like 10% or if he was losing percentages (like last check he was 60 and now he's 40) then sure, I get it. But, if you're small framed people and he's otherwise happy and healthy, I really do not get it at all.

Sorry - no advice for how to do it, since I don't feed my baby rice cereal or solids, yet. I'd probably ignore the advice if it were me, but I'm ignoring other "advice" from my pedi (she wants me to let DD CIO at night). Good luck if you do go ahead with it, I'm sure the other mamas on here will help you figure out the logistics. 

Her issue isn't only the weight, it's the amount of formula her LO is taking. Babies should not exceed 32oz a day. Since she needs to cut down on formula she needs to introduce something else to fill him.

• imageMilMom2B:

I'm no nurse, but I'm surprised they want you to beef him up when he's at 40% that's practically right down the middle! If he was like 10% or if he was losing percentages (like last check he was 60 and now he's 40) then sure, I get it. But, if you're small framed people and he's otherwise happy and healthy, I really do not get it at all.

Her issue isn't only the weight, it's the amount of formula her LO is taking. Babies should not exceed 32oz a day. Since she needs to cut down on formula she needs to introduce something else to fill him.

• Most babies start cereal at 4 months so i don't see what the big deal is?
  • In your case, I would absolutely start solids.  40oz is too much formula.  
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• I agree that 40 ounces a day is over what is normally recommended and some people do start solids at 4 months without a problem.  I would not, however, put rice cereal in a bottle just to add in calories.  The only time I would do that is for reflux.  Of course, I'd probably forgo the cereal all together and start with a high calorie, nutrient dense food such as avocado instead of the empty calories of cereal.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageCjohn1211:
    imageMilMom2B:

Okay, that makes sense. I didn't know since we don't use bottles so I have no idea how many ounces my LO eats right now. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMilMom2B:
    imageCjohn1211:
    imageMilMom2B:

Okay, that makes sense. I didn't know since we don't use bottles so I have no idea how many ounces my LO eats right now. 

But why is 32 oz too much? In my Baby 411 book it says babies 2-4 mo should eat between 30-40 oz and 4-6 mo should eat 32-40 oz.... Obviously, this book isn't the end all be all, but I'm just confused about why I should feed him less F when he's acting hungry... not that I mind introducing solids either, but I also heard that solids were more like "desserts" per se than actual meals---necessary to introduce, but not really taking the place of his bottle until he is older...

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • I don't understand why they are so concerned when your DS is in the 40th percentile.  That's barely less than the average and as long as he's on the growth curve and doesn't seem to be having any other issues they shouldn't be pushing the solids on you.  I find it especially odd that they also suggest you adding it to his bottle.  Did DS's doctor agree with the nurse's recs?

My DD was in the 15th percentile weighing 12 lbs, 6 oz at her 4 month check up and we just had her 6 month check up and she has dropped to the 5th percentile weighing 12 lbs, 14 oz.  She is still on the growth curve even though she has slowed down a litlle and otherwise is a happy and healthy baby with no other issues.  My doctor said at this point it's not concerning we just need to watch her to make sure she continues to grow.  We just started solids when she turned 6 months.

That being said, you can start solids anywhere between 4-6 months but it's generally recommended that you wait closer to 6 months if possible.

imageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"