Toddlers: 24 Months+

Question for disposable diapers users

This is kind of an odd question but when you go to someone's house and you have to change your LO's diaper- do you take the diaper with you?  We used CD so this was never an issue with us.  One of my friends always takes her dirty diapers with her (pee & poop) in a small bag and disposes them at home.  However, another friend of ours always toss them in our trash.  I'm not trying to sound rude/snobbish but this really grosses me out.  The last time her husband changed the child he said it was a poop diaper and wondered where I wanted it- I asked if he flushed the poop (its illegal to put throw feces in your trash) and he just gave me an odd look and then his wife told him to flush (it was obvious that she does flush poop) then proceeded to put it in my trash.  Like I said, I don't have a diaper jeanie (or whatever they are called) or a special diaper trash can- we CD and our kids are no longer in diapers so these dirty diapers just go into our bathroom/kitchen trash and they smell awful (with CD we never had to deal with that smell!)!!  We live in a very rural area so we pay for trash services and with composting, recycling, etc. we only have pick up once a month so you can imagine the smell even when its transfered out of my kitchen.  I'm just curious what other parents do.  I personally can't imagine leaving that at my friends house.  Please know that I'm not trying to start a debate- I'm just surprised that my one set of friends don't understand how gross this is.

Re: Question for disposable diapers users

• well most of my friends have kids, or understand that my daughter may poop when I'm over their house...so I just throw it in the trash. but we have trash services that come more than once a month too...
    If you knew better, you'd do better.
  • When DD was using a diaper, I would usually ask the person what I should do with it. I had bags to take them with me if that was their preference.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 4/9/09 - Chloe, our angel twin Lilypie First Birthday tickers>
  • Loading the player...
  • It has never occurred to me to take the dirty diaper home with me.  I usually put it in a plastic grocery bag and ask the homeowner what they would like me to do with it.  Sometimes I throw it away in the house other times I run it out to the trash cans or dumpster outside.  I always take poopy ones outside.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • If it is a pee diaper, I never really think anything of it and usually use their trash. For poo diapers, I would ask about an outside trash can, instead of putting it in their inside trash. Like PP's said though, most of my friends/family have kids or grandkids and we all use disposable diapers, so none of us really think anything of it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I always take the dirty diapers with me. I have small plasic bags that I put them in and I throw it away in our garbage can when we get home. However, I started off by CDing the first two years, so I'm not sure if that mentality just carried forward? IDK...I wouldn't want to leave my child's dirty diaper at someone else's house, regardless if they had kids or not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I never thought about how it could come across from the "receiver's" end; however, I throw the diaper away where I am at. It is trash. I am not going to tote trash with me unless I have to. But I also get the diaper into a pretty compact size and also use a small (diaper size) trash bag but I only use that if I have them with me.

Plus, my friends have kids. They aren't offended or grossed out by it. FWIW, I would never expect a guest to take a dirty diaper home with them. By all means, throw it in my trash can!

• BTW, I have NEVER heard that it is illegal to throw feces in your trash.
  • imageMaxandRuby:
    BTW, I have NEVER heard that it is illegal to throw feces in your trash.

I don't think its illegal, but its not recommended. I believe it states on most diaper boxes to please dump the poop before disposing of the diaper.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • pee just toss in the nearest garbage. poo usually asked if there is a perfered garbage - at our house I will say kitchen if it is near fill and we are taking it out soon or out in our garage.  Neither is very far way.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I take poo diapers home but throw out pee ones (but I always ask first if it's okay).  

Out of curiosity just because I don't recognize the abbreviation, what is CD? Cloth diaper? We tried cloth but never found a brand that DS didn't manage to totally poo/pee out of, especially over night :-(  We'll be trying again with DS 2 when he arrives in December. I think G Diapers were the ones we had the most luck with. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I always dump out the poop, even when she would go in a disposable. But, we mainly used CDs too so I was used to it. I would think the polite thing to do would be to ask if there was a certain garbage can they wanted you to throw it away in.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• I always pull out the small scented bag for diapers and put them in there.  I typically put them in the diaper bag to take home (never thought I was weird!) and throw it away here.  Most of the time, the people I'm with will tell me that they'll take it to their trash. 
  • I have never heard of taking home a dirty diaper...I can't believe people seriously do this.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I ask where they want me to put it.  If they have diaper wearing kids, they usually have a pail. If not, then I would put in outside garbage. 
  • I think you sound ridiculous. I cloth diapered, but used disposables with my youngest (cd's left bloody rashes on her butt due to the water at our house). I always throw it in the outside trash. I did usually flush poop, but come on...you're being a total ***. Ask them to flush it because of the smell and how long the trash sits there, and then ask them to take it outside. 
  • I want to thank the people that take their poop with them- at least some people get it!  I don't think its odd to think its gross to have poop sitting in your house.  Of all my friends with kids- I only have 1 set that tosses them in our trash.  At first I thought people took it with them because at the time we didn't have kids and now that we do have kids they still do it.  Obviously if we did use disposable diapers this would be completely moot issue but since we don't we have no proper place to dispose.  And to a PP yes it is illegal to put feces into your trash- it breeds disease vs. when you flush it it goes to a sewer system and is properly dealt with.  Its the same reason why hospitals don't throw needles in the regular trash either.
  • you're a total asshat. 
  • We ask and most of our friends give us the look that husband who didn't know to flush the poo gave you.  It's not a big deal in the lives of my friends to have a stinky dipe in the trash. If it's really bad, we will ask where OUTSIDE we can throw it.    Then again, we all have regular trash service. I would never leave a diaper in a room where I think the trash may not be changed as often (guest room or guest bath, etc). 

Oh, and most people don't know about the not trashing poo thing, so you can't really fault the Dad on that one.  We didn't learn until we started CD (we use both).

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • It depends on where I am and who I am with on what I do with the poop ones.  Either way I almost always have an arm and hammer scented bag to put it in, those work awesome.  If they are a  truly "kid friendly" home then I toss them.  If not so much I bring them home.  If we are out and about I assess the trash and the "stink" factor.  But like I said those Arm and Hammer bags work great even if I have to tote it around :)

But really though, I do think you sound like a total a$$.  You have kids FFS. 

• Our trash comes once a week and everywhere we go, the other people have kids, so we toss in their trash and they toss in ours. But I have a diaper pail next to the trash can that ALL diapers at our house go to.

If their your friends, just explain nicely to them that since trash is only picked up once a month, you can't keep diapers in the trash. Oh, and have plastic bags on hand for them to take them home. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"