Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Seasoning your solids

I make my LO's food and I was wondering, to add more flavor - has anyone added any herbs or spices? I was thinking cinnamon and nutmeg would be great in sweet potatoes or even some basil added to avocado. Also, I know you're not suppose to add honey till they're one, but what about maple syrup - not that I'm thinking of doing this any time soon, I just haven't seen anything on it. TIA!
Foodie stuff for parents with little time: Katja's Kitchen Follow Me on Pinterest Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Seasoning your solids

• I've added cinnamon to apples and DD liked it (I'd say she loved it but she doesn't like apples much - but she ate them!). I haven't tried anything else yet but I don't think there's any reason not to. I would be careful about spiciness until you know how LO does with it. Is maple syrup pasteurized or anything? I wouldn't give LO maple syrup straight out of the bush for sure. I don't know if there are the same concerns about syrup as there are about honey.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• It's fine!  Check wholesomebabyfood.com  There is a section on that.  I know cinnamon and basil are fine.  Not sure about nutmeg but I'll bet it's okay.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I just used nutmeg on the  butternut squash... I also used allspice on peaches.  DD likes things flavored apparently.
  • I am not seasoning any of the solids just yet...I want her to learn how they taste without anything first.  I'm sure you can do it though as long as there are no history of family allergies.  I would also try the food bland first then next time add spices.
    image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I add spices to DS' food all the time. My pedi said go ahead and season whatever I want just don't add salt. I personally would not do maple syrup because it sugar - I have no idea if there are botulism concerns. Here is some info on spices: https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/tipspices.htm
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've added cinnamon to her applesauce, but nothing else yet.  I've read that you can add basil to something (I can't remember what), and I want to try that, since we grow it on our countertop.

I wouldn't add any type of sugar to her solids (syrup inc) 

• No Sugar, No Salt....
  • I've been putting cinnamon in his cereals. He now wolfs down his cereal. I've also considered nutmeg and cloves in his sweet potatoes and squash, and am debating on garlic in something, because DH and I use garlic in sooo much of what we eat.
  • imageBeetleLinz1125:
    I am not seasoning any of the solids just yet...I want her to learn how they taste without anything first.  I'm sure you can do it though as long as there are no history of family allergies.  I would also try the food bland first then next time add spices.

Same.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• imageBeetleLinz1125:
    I am not seasoning any of the solids just yet...I want her to learn how they taste without anything first.  I'm sure you can do it though as long as there are no history of family allergies.  I would also try the food bland first then next time add spices.

Same.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• I season almost everything I make for Chloe.  Everything from nutmeg to garlic.  She will eat food without seasonings but she devours food with.  To her the spicier the better, so far her favorite food is chili.  Pure maple syrup is fine in moderation (I asked her pedi).
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"