October 2011 Moms
Options

My Birth Story (long) PIP

On Tuesday morning at 5am I felt a ?pop?. (It felt like there was a guitar string in my vagina and somebody strummed it)  There was no gush, just a trickle of water when I sat on the toilet.  However, the contractions started right away.  DH and I decided to walk the neighborhood and the contractions came every 8-9 minutes and I would leak with each one.  We came home and had breakfast and showered and headed to L&D.  Once I was there, my DR confirmed my water broke and I was only 1cm 50% effaced.  Since I am GBS+ I was hooked up to an IV and anti-biotics were started and so was the Pitocin.   About an hour later my IV was BURNING my arm so bad ? the pain was nearly worse than the contractions.  Turns out I was allergic to the antibiotic.  I HATED being hooked up to all of those wires.  It made the labor tougher to deal with.
Within an hour the contractions were horrific and close together.  I labored from about 9:30am ? 2:30pm without an epi.  By this time I was in agony and was only 2 cm and so I opted for the epi.  Once I got it I did feel better but I could still feel the intense pressure of the contractions.   My BP dropped really low and I had to lie down and flip from side to side and they gave me oxygen.  After about an hour it finally stablelized.   
I could still feel the pain and pressure of the contractions but I figured it would help when it was time to push.  By 6:30pm I was 8 cm and we started to push at 8:30pm.  I was so elated and couldn?t wait to push LO out and feel him on my chest.  However, an hour into it, my contractions puttered out.  I couldn?t tell when I was having one and pushing was difficult.  By 11pm I knew something was not right.  Each time I would push LO?s heart rate would drop and he just wasn?t coming out!  My Dr was getting concerned and so were we.  He mentioned forceps but was apprehensive.  I decided to keep pushing but by this time LO?s heart rate was even slower to recover.  I was mentally, physically and emotionally exhausted by this point and I just wanted LO to be ok so we decided to have a C-section.  
At 12:23am LO had arrived.  The nurse had to push him back up into my uterus through my vagina.  Turns out he was ?sunny side up? and that is why I couldn?t push him past my pelvic inlet.  I was in recovery by 1:30am and I was spent.  But LO was here and I was relieved.  We finally made it to our room by 3am.  Delirium had set in by this point.
BF?ing was pretty easy and he latched on really well.  However, because they gave me oxytocin to make my uterus contract once the C-section was done, I felt like I was in labor all over again.  I remember crying hysterically with LO latched on.  And to make matters worse, the Morphine made me ITCH!  It was one thing after the other.
By the time we were ready to come home something didn?t seem right with his feeding habits and by day 5 my milk had not come in.  I tried pumping, expressing?.all of it.  I felt like I was starving LO and he didn?t have a poop or pee in nearly 12 hours.  So we supplemented with formula.  By day 7 still no milk.  So I had to give up on BF?ing and I felt like a failure.
I am over the whole experience now, but it took a couple days.  No one prepared me for the roller coaster of emotions and the amount of worry I would feel.  
My birth plan never had a chance and that was a tough pill to swallow.  But LO is here and he is healthy and I am totally in love with him.
Bless your heart if you read this whole novel.  And thanks for listening!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Second Birthday tickers  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: My Birth Story (long) PIP

• Options

Birth plan in the end is just a plan and  like they say plans are made to be broken.  Keep your eye on the prize, a precious little one

Just a little advice if you plan on having more.  I had the extreme itching from morphine with my 1st 2 c/sections.  They gave me steroids in my IV to stop it.  This time around they decided not to give me morpine because of itching.  Big Mistake!  I would have gladly taken the itching over the pain.  If they try to talk you out of morphine in your spinal before the c/section don't let them!

siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Options
    imagepennysuedog:

Birth plan in the end is just a plan and  like they say plans are made to be broken.  Keep your eye on the prize, a precious little one

Just a little advice if you plan on having more.  I had the extreme itching from morphine with my 1st 2 c/sections.  They gave me steroids in my IV to stop it.  This time around they decided not to give me morpine because of itching.  Big Mistake!  I would have gladly taken the itching over the pain.  If they try to talk you out of morphine in your spinal before the c/section don't let them!

Really?  Ok, good to know!!!  They gave me Benadryl at night to calm the itch but it made BF'ing hard so I skipped it most of the time.   Itching over pain works for me.  Thanks for the heads up.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Second Birthday tickers  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry it didnt go the way you had hoped, but in the end...you have one beautiful little baby there! Congrats!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Congratulations, isn't that popping noise and feel the weirdest thing?! Thanks for sharing your story, your son is precious.
  • Options
    Congratulations! You have a beautiful baby boy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"