Multiples
Options

My mom asked the dreaded question of a stranger....

At our neighborhood Fall Festival we spotted a DSNG.  Both infant carriers were covered with blankets, so I assumed they were young.

We stopped near them to feed the kids.

Then I hear.....

"So is it one of each?"

Doh!  MOM!  Look at the blankets....one blue and one pink.  Aargghhhh.  I was so embarrassed.

So sorry to my fellow MoM for my mom's dumb question.

ETA:  At least she didn't ask if they were ID.  Snort

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image

Re: My mom asked the dreaded question of a stranger....

• Options
    AW-my mom does that all.the.time.  I'm constantly telling her to cut it out.  lol-
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageE&RMommy:

ETA:  At least she didn't ask if they were ID.  Snort

Or "real"

Clomid x 2 cycles ..... BFN. 6/08 Gonal F with TI- BFN. 7/08 Gonal F #2 - IUI 7/11, BFN. 9/22/08 IUI #2 and Accupuncture - Chemical Pregnancy. 11/08 IUI #3 with accupuncture - BFN. 12/08 IUI #4 BFN. 5/09 IVF #1 ER 7/6/09, ET 7/9/09 - BFN. FET 12/18/09 - BFN IVF #2 -ER 3/6, ET 3/9, OMG - BFP!!! Beta #1 3/22 -332, Beta #2 3/24 - 701, Beta #3 - 14,889 - 1st u/s - TWINS!! SAIF ALWAYS WELCOME!!! ***Why can't 88 million sperm and 3 eggs find each other in an organ the size of a pear??*** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins--not through strength but by perseverance. - H. Jackson Brown
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't think it's a big deal. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    imageE&RMommy:

Doh!  MOM!  Look at the blankets....one blue and one pink.  Aargghhhh.  I was so embarrassed.

I don't mind people asking but this assumption makes me nuts.  We have some light blue striped and light blue elephant blankets from Carters. They're soft and adorable. We have two girls. I had a conversation with a woman in the airport that basically went:

her: aww twins, two boys?

me: no, two girls

her: but those are blue blankets.

me: Hmm

I just don't get why baby stuff is SO gendered. maybe i'd feel differently if i had b/g twins, but i also can't see myself assigning particular items to a kid.

• Options

My sister told me she struck up a conversation with a lady at the grocery store by saying, "my sister has twins".  I wanted to tell her "we hate that" but resisted.

I never know what to say to that comment besides, "oh really".  Like I am supposed to know that person or care?

• Options
    imagejlefief:

My sister told me she struck up a conversation with a lady at the grocery store by saying, "my sister has twins".  I wanted to tell her "we hate that" but resisted.

I never know what to say to that comment besides, "oh really".  Like I am supposed to know that person or care?

Yeah, I think it's funny how people will tell me that their SIL's cousin's neighbor's friend has twins.  I just kind of smile and nod and say "oh, that's nice".

ETA:  I meant to add that I don't think you're mom was so bad, girls wear/use blue all of the time.  Blue's my favorite color, I wouldn't hesitate to give my girl (if I had any) something blue if it was cute.

• Options
    I feel the same about blue - it's fine for girls.  However, I must confess that I did buy some pink bibs and put a pink toy on DD's carseat just because I was tired of answering that particular question.  Now if only there were a remedy to "Do twins run in your family?". 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

hmm, it didnt seem like a bad/offensive question.  but then again, i didnt get it so i'm on the outside looking in.  how did the MoM respond?  did she seem offended? 

i try to get over the questions that i think are 'stupid' b/c it's just my opinion while the person asking is usually being genuine and they cant read my mind to know if it's okay or not to ask.  also, some folks are friendlier than others so they take the liberties of trying to spark conversations. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"