Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Alimentum ? and help

Hi,   My LO was put on alimentum approximately 3-4 weeks ago...First I mixed it with an ounce of breast milk after I had been dairy free, but it was too difficult with the diet and soy restrictions.  I at least was able to breast feed DD for 7 weeks.  She had mucousy stools with specks of blood and was pooping at least 10 to 12 times a day...Dr. put her on Alimentum and said she had a MSPI.  She did very well on the formula and when we took her for her 2 month shots, diaper was negative for blood...

She didnt poop yesterday and went an explosion today and I was sick when I noticed a couple of specks of blood.   Poop (TMI) was normal but when I saw the specks I got nervous again.  Will call pedi tomorrow, but she is otherwise eating well, happy and gaining weight slowly but surely.   Any idea......All responses appreciated.   Thank you so much...

Re: Alimentum ? and help

• Options
    Sorry I forgot to say she is 11 weeks old
  • Options
    This is pretty much what has happened with DD.  She has a milk allergy and we hadn't seen blood in almost 2 months.  I'm also having a hard time with trying to pump enough, not eat dairy, etc. so I decided to at least put her on formula for daycare and/or night.  We tried nutramigen (I think the equivalent to alimentum) out today and she had some blood in her stool later in the day.  I'm still breastfeeding so not sure if I had some dairy that I'm not aware of or if the formula doesn't break the milk protein down enough.  There is formula that does.  She also hasn't been poopin as much as she used to...only about 2x a day.  LO is also happy and eating as usual so I don't know what the problem is.  I also wonder if there was blood because she was straining more due to not stooling as often.  We have a GI test in a few weeks so I think her pedi wouldn't do anymore tests.  I called my sister who is a pedi to get some advice and I'm waiting on her response.  Any other advice would be appreciated in the meantime.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When you hear from your sister would you mind sharing her answer.....this is so frustrating since she has been fine for almost a month and bang back today......Thanks again and any other answers would be appreciated...
  • Options
    My sister called back and said to stop the formula and call GI and pedi in the morning and of course monitor DD's diapers.  I know its harder for you since you already stopped breastfeeding.  She did say that we may need formula that breaks down the milk protein even more.  If you have any breastmilk stored in the freezer, I would probably give it to her.  I hope they figure out what is going on with our LOs soon.  It seems like one thing after the other.  We are already going to get DD's heart checked for a murmur the dr. heard last week at her 2 month visit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"