September 2011 Moms
Options

Typical great grandmother?

We met great grandma today. First time I'd met her as well as DD. 

I guess it's a normal thing for older people to say a baby is spoiled if you "walk the floor" with the baby and or rock them to sleep?

DH seems to think that DD is spoiled as well, but, sometimes a baby just wants her mommy, and just because she stops crying when I hold her doesn't have anything to do with being spoiled!

I feel better now. :) 

oa1
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

? Voted Cool Cat ~ 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards ?

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Typical great grandmother?

• Options

i'd be willing to bed great grandma rocked her kids too, she just doesn't remember.  you can spoil a baby at this age. 

now if you are still doing that all the time at 9 months, well, then that's a different story.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DH says if I do the things that can spoil her later, now, I'll still do them then as well. 
    oa1

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    nah.  because you will know the difference between crying because she needs you and crying because she knows you will come to her. 
  • Options
    Isn't it all about survival at this point? I say spoil to your hearts content!
  • Options

imageJKGymnast:
    Isn't it all about survival at this point? I say spoil to your hearts content!

This! all of my ILs say I'm spoiling her and I could care less! lol Ive gotten to the point where I just change the subject because I'm tired of telling them its impossible to spoil a 5 wk old baby!

also, I'm going to develop a habit of letting her sleep in the bed because I lay in there and nurse her to sleep 

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options

My mom made a comment to me that at some point DS won't want me to hold him so I need to enjoy every minute of it now! And I am listening to her :)

Also, wouldn't you want your baby to stop crying when you hold them?

336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree.  Just seems like everyone has to give their two cents. 

Im going to carry and cuddle with her whether they say anything or not. DH knows this also, so he doesn't say anything unless someone else brings it up.  

oa1

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    My husband keeps saying, "if you don't start bad habits, you won't have to break bad habits", which is something I said earlier this year that has come back to haunt me. I was referring to when babies are a bit older and you start teaching them habits, not at 7 weeks old with outrageous reflux and gas issues. Ugh! He just doesn't get it
  • Options
    My MIL says, "you can't spoil a baby. It's impossible to spoil a baby. It's the parent who gets spoiled." Apparently some pedi told her that and she has been repeating it ever since. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DH's grandmother (DS and DD's great-grandmother) acts like she's learning about babies all over again, and I believe it's just b/c it's been so long since she's been around one (over 35 yrs).  She doesn't criticize, she's just always surprised by how often a new baby eats, sleeps, wakes at night, etc.

I don't feel that you can spoil a baby.  I still go to DS when he cries, I don't finding crying manipulative (vs. whining, which we don't tolerate).  It's a small window of time when they will "need" you like this, and want to cuddle and be comforted, I don't mind whatever "inconvenience" comes with it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

There are 5 little boys that come and go from the ggmas house, the eldest being 5 years old. So I'm thinking she just says it to say it. 

As PP said , Im pretty sure she did the same things as she said would spoil LO. 

oa1

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

I'm so cuddling with DD in the recliner as I type. Lol

Ps. So glad with the new iPhone software I don't have to remember to turn off java. 

oa1

Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"