Nurseries and Baby Gear

Used crib ok to use?

I just realized that the friend who gave me her crib had her son 5 years ago now.. is it ok to use a crib this old? It looks fine and doesn't have any recalls but...??

Re: Used crib ok to use?

• everyone will tell you "no, buy a new one".
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If it's got fixed sides and all the original hardware is with it and it assembles tightly, I would use it. The only safety issue that's changed in the last 5 years has been the elimination of drop-rails.

• Loading the player...
  • Oh no! I think this one has drop rails... could someone please tell me the problem with drop rails? I believe I read that drop rails are a problem and this crib has drop rails...
  • Here is some information from the CPSC: https://www.cpsc.gov/onsafety/2011/06/the-new-crib-standard-questions-and-answers/

ETA: apparently I was mistaken that the drop side ban was the only thing that has changed

• Yikes. Thanks so much. So glad I asked.. and now the dilemma is how to dispose of it since not even a second-hand store will want it. Bummer.
  • Thank you- it will be disposed of. I have no idea who would want this crib so I will probably throw it away.
  • Definitely dispose of it - and buy a new one.  There are many inexpensive cribs out there.  We went with the Ikea Gulliver ($99 in white).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just make sure you destroy it before just throwing it out. That way someone doesn't try and take it to use it.

Also, if you don't want to throw it out, there are some super cute ideas on pinterest.com for old cribs. I have seen people make benches, chalk boards, signs, etc out of them.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • If you dont want to buy a new one, some manufacturers offer free kits to convert the crib to a non-dropside crib. Id still rather have a newly manufactured one unless it was a family heirloom.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've seen the drop rail removed from the crib to make a really neat blanket holder... sorry can't find a link...

If you are crafty there are some good ideas online for what to do with it!

Daisypath imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Take it to BRU's trade-in event and use the discount to buy a new crib.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"