Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Pumping advice?

No matter how long I wait or what settings I put my breast pump on the most I get is 4 oz. I can only pump once a day (in the morning) because it's not even worth trying the rest of the day because I practically get nothing. Any suggestions on how to get more milk when pumping? I'd like to eventually strictly pump but the way this is going that's not gonna happen. TIA

Re: Pumping advice?

• Options
    Try pumping after each feeding session, if your schedule permits. Your body will take that as a cue that you need more milk for LO, and will adjust to that demand. Also, a do a "power hour" pump in the evening- pump 10 minutes, rest 10, repeat for an hour- this is supposed to help supply increase as well. GL!
  • Options
    imageejagk:
    Try pumping after each feeding session, if your schedule permits. Your body will take that as a cue that you need more milk for LO, and will adjust to that demand. Also, a do a "power hour" pump in the evening- pump 10 minutes, rest 10, repeat for an hour- this is supposed to help supply increase as well. GL!
    Right on point in post above and I heard fenugreek (sp?) is supposed to help as well!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageAmandaRoxann:
    No matter how long I wait or what settings I put my breast pump on the most I get is 4 oz. I can only pump once a day (in the morning) because it's not even worth trying the rest of the day because I practically get nothing. Any suggestions on how to get more milk when pumping? I'd like to eventually strictly pump but the way this is going that's not gonna happen. TIA

are you nursing for the other feedings?  how many weeks is your LO?  4 oz after a feeding is actually quite a bit - 1-2 oz is normal for the first 6-8 weeks.  With DS, I never got more than 1-2 oz no matter when I pumped until I went back to work.  Then with pumping instead of nursing, I would get 4-10 oz depending on the time of day.  With DD, I can get 4-5 oz after her morning nursing session already.   Kellymom.com has lots of info on pumping and what to expect. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I had this problem also.  I could pump 3-4oz in the a.m. but  then nothing for the rest of the day and it was frustrating. 

I started taking fenugreek on Wednesday and it has made a HUGE difference.  I almost can't believe it.  Also, I make sure to continue to pump for 5 minutes after the last drop falls to tell my body that it needs to make more milk. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    You could try pumping after LO nurses after a while this will usually tell your body to make more milk and i also eat oat meal 2xs a day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Also make sure you are eating well and drinking lots of water too
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've found that pumping after LO feeds has made a huge difference in my supply. I nurse maybe 3x per day and the rest is pumping so DH can take care of a couple night feedings. Mother's Milk tea makes a bit of a difference for me, fenugreek didn't do anything for my supply. Make sure to drink LOTS of water. If you think you're already drinking a ton, drink even more. Caffeine lowers your supply too so try not to take in too much.
  • Options
    Also, I read this advice on kellymom.com the other day and tried it and as silly as it sounds, it made a difference for me! If you can, pump when your baby is in sight. I used to pump while he was sleeping and not get very much. Now I sit him in his bouncy seat right in front of me while I pump and I swear I get twice as much. Might sound crazy but it worked for me!
  • Options
    I do this too, pump after first am feed (between 5-8am) and generally get 2-3 oz.  I am planning to try fenugreek to see if I can up supply since LO needs at least 4 for a bottle these days.
  • Options

What helped me build a stash was pumping the other side DD wasn't eating from...I did that initially to ease engorgement and stopped once I lost 30 lbs and had a full freezer chest...

Given that your LO is 10 weeks old you could try that but would likely be nursing every 2 hrs for a couple days...so not sure that it's worth it to you...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"