3rd Trimester

Poppy seed not safe?

Ladies,

Anyone knows if it's safe to eat poppy seeds?One would think it is...I just googled it and I only saw message board conversations where people state, that it is not safe, but no medical references.

Yes, I know opium is made of poppy seeds, but I also know that it contains calcium, magnesium and minerals. 

I grew up in Eastern Europe and I love poppy seed.It's in main dishes and pastries.I just had a small spoonful of it mixed with maple syrup then I thought I would google it.Then the spoon stopped in my hand.Did I put LO in danger?

My mom has never heard of poppy seeds not being safe during pregnancy.I want to believe she's right, but I live in America now which means I'm paranoid about everything...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Poppy seed not safe?

• I've never heard of poppy seeds being a problem. Maybe if that was the only thing you ate for weeks on end it would be due to malnutrition, but I don't see them being a problem as part of a normal diet.
  • I think it's more if you eat a whole bucket of poppy seeds in one setting when it becomes a problem.

I wouldn't worry about it. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Well,I could certainly eat a bucket, lol...but no, it was 2 spoonfuls.
  • If it is then I just hurt my baby with the two pieces of lemon poppyseed cake I ate last night.
  • Well, I'm of German/Czech decent and there was plenty of poppy seed eating in my family while my mom was pregnant with me, and while her mom was pregnant with her, etc, etc.  We all turned out to be quite well-educated, functioning citizens, so I would say, enjoy it!!!
  • I have been craving and eating LOTS of lemon poppy seed muffins these days, and I think baby and I will be just fine.  ENJOY!
    href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/33e2da" rel="nofollow">Chart

• " I live in America now which means I'm paranoid about everything.." Hahaha! Very true. I've never heard anything bad about poppy seeds though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker    
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"