Natural Birth

Question about delivery

I already had my LO but am curious about this. I didn't get my epi until I was eight and a half centimeters dilated, I had progressed well until that point, but didn't complete until three hours after the epi so it slowed me down a little. I wanted the epi way before I got it but that didn't happen. Anyway so I was wondering how bad the pushing hurts in comparison to the contractions? I wish now that I would have just finished out without pain meds so I'm thinking next time I'll go without. The contractions to me were AWFUL, is the pushing and crowning better or worse? Thanks

Re: Question about delivery

• crowning stucks more then labor but pushing it's self wasn't bad
    Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

• I was too focused on just really wanting to push to think much about the pain. I definitely did feel it, but being asked to wait (DH wasn't in the room yet) was awful. In fact, the thing I remember most about the whole experience of getting to L & D (I was fully dilated when I arrived) was how much I just wanted to start pushing, starting in the car ride over, to the elevator ride up to maternity, to finally being set up in an L & D room.

I also remember feeling myself tear as I pushed DD out, but I think I remember because it scared me. I had a distinct feeling that something had just happened that might not have been "normal" (although it is, of course, really normal to tear).

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I went up to almost 9 cm without an epi with #1 and never got to push (c/s).  With my VBAC I went med-free the whole way and pushing didn't hurt me one bit, it was awesome.  I felt the crowning, but it was very quick and I was just happy to have a vaginal birth so I wonder how much that played into it.  DD was born with her hand by her face and I had 2nd degree tears, but didn't feel it until recovery.  On the other hand I heard a woman in the room next to me screaming through pushing, so it didn't sound like the blissful experience I had (she was med-free too b/c we were both in the alternative birth center). 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With #1, my labor was 30 hours and I pushed for an hour. I don't remember the pushing being bad (certainly not worse than labor), but I was just so exhausted by that point that it's all blurry. 

With #2, my labor was 8 hours and more painful than with #1. But I only pushed twice and she was out, and it wasn't painful at all.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Pushing actually felt good, that was probably the most pleasant part of the whole experience.  Crowning was bad and when DD's shoulder got stuck and I tore that was really bad, but all of this was over in a few minutes...I can handle anything for a few minutes :)
  • Transition was the absolute worst for me.  When it was time to push I felt a distinct change in the contractions and they didn't hurt much anymore.  Pushing and crowning weren't bad either.  I had a small tear but I didn't feel it happen.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

• Hearing all of this actually makes me extremely happy about going med free.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Everyone is different. I think most people say that pushing was better than labor, but for me pushing was by far the hardest and most painful part. My baby was 9 pounds 5 ounces, so that probably had something to do with it. I pushed for almost 4 hours and it was the hardest physical work I've ever done in my life.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• imagekatcarls:
    Transition was the absolute worst for me.  When it was time to push I felt a distinct change in the contractions and they didn't hurt much anymore.  Pushing and crowning weren't bad either.  I had a small tear but I didn't feel it happen.

This is exactly how it was for myself. I think if you can get to 8 1/2 centimeters you should definitely be able to do it med free next time around!

Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Pushing felt good for me.  It was kind of like working against the pain.  Delivering the head and shoulders was definitely the most painful part of my vaginal delivery, but it's over quickly and then you have a baby!

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! I think I'm going to go without the epi next time. I labored for 10 hours without it surely I can do it! The part that scares me is the tearing. I had an episiotomy this time but I'm sure I would have been nummed up before if I had gone med free
  • for both of my natural births, pushing and crowning were no worse than contractions at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • First stage was way worse than anything else. Pushing contractions weren't bad at all, as long as I pushed during them. And crowning, well that didn't hurt at all.
  • I wouldn't say it is better or "worse"...it is different. I never felt her crown or the "ring of fire" but for me it was an overwhelming sensation to bear down.

ETA- for tearing. I was also concerned about tearing and I did have a 2* internal tear. I remember distinctly when I was pushing her shoulders out feeling myself tear, and it wasn't a big deal at all. I felt 100% by two weeks postpartum. Way better than having an episitomy.

• pushing felt great actually the pain totally goes away and you are so focused. crowning was painful but it didn't last long
  • imagekatcarls:
    Transition was the absolute worst for me.  When it was time to push I felt a distinct change in the contractions and they didn't hurt much anymore.  Pushing and crowning weren't bad either.  I had a small tear but I didn't feel it happen.

This. I started pushing and finally felt "settled" in my contractions, like I surrendered to what my body had been trying to do and it suddenly felt right. Also, I had a waterbirth which I believe helped numb the pain of crowning a bit. I was so giddy about her head being visible that I didn't really think about the pain too much. I think you could totally make it without meds the next go 'round and in the words of my midwife, "You go, warrior birth-mama!" 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For me pushing was far worse. I remember thinking, "this isn't so bad" until I felt the urge to push and then told the nurse I wasn't having fun anymore. It also was because DD was face up and got stuck though. My labor was 12 hours start to finish and two of those hours was pushing.
  • For me pushing was such a relief!  It made everything feel so much better because I felt more in control or something.  It's difficult to explain.  Crowning definitely burned, but it's over so quickly that it's not really a big deal.
    imageLilypie - (d9io)
    imageLilypie - (3w4O)
  • imageTigerlilym15:
    Everyone is different. I think most people say that pushing was better than labor, but for me pushing was by far the hardest and most painful part. My baby was 9 pounds 5 ounces, so that probably had something to do with it. I pushed for almost 4 hours and it was the hardest physical work I've ever done in my life.

My baby was the same size :) And, oh my goodness, 4 hours? You are amazing.

For me, transition was the hardest and I wanted to push right away because she was so low. So once I got the ok and really felt the urge (I had done little bearing down pushes) it felt awesome! I turned to my doula and said, "That felt GREAT." I tore and didn't even feel it. Recovery was the most painful part for my perineal area. I didn't feel a ring of fire or anything while pushing.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"