Northern California Babies

Cloth Diaper Mommas...please come in!

Long Time No Chat Ladies,

Is it too late to switch to cloth diapers? Collin is 19 months old and seems to be getting bleeding diaper rash every other week. Right now it is an oozing bloody plasma mess. I have been using anti fungal cream as well as hydrocortisone cream. Tried original Desitin and petrolium jelly. It always eventually clears itself up..but it seems to hurt so bad when the disposable diaper rubs along it or on his thighs leading to more irritated areas.

Help!

TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cloth Diaper Mommas...please come in!

• Oh no!  I have a HS friend who just switched for the same reason, and her little girl is 18 months old so I definitely think it's possible and it might help a lot.  I believe she uses prefolds and covers exclusively.  I'm brand new to the CDing world (just ordered our beyond-NB stash yesterday in fact) so I'm not a lot of help, but hopefully some of the other CDing ladies can help you.  The CD board is also very helpful...their FAQ's are awesome.  GL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • use raw coconut oil.  If it's fungus, petroleum jelly will just give it a nice warm, moist insulator under which to grow.

Does he have sensitivity to latex?  Several disposables have latex in them.

Lastly, it's not too late to switch to cloth :)

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks Steph, Celyn...I dont think or rather now if he has a latex sensitivity. I will stay away from the jelly...where can I find raw coconut oil? Trader Joes? Elliots? Also...I know NOTHING about CD....is there a guide for dummies? I dont even know where to buy any supplies. How many do I get? How do I know what size or even do they come in sizes? How do I use them? Is it really cheaper to CD than use DD's? I feel so dumb not knowing about this.
  • What does the rash look like? We get a bacterial thing on both of our kids even though we almost exclusively CD. The doc prescribed medication when it got really awful but if I can catch it in time I use bacitracin. (The rash starts out looking like red bumps but they spread further than a yeast would, down legs and the like.)
  • Starts out smooth but bright red, usually not near the anus itself..but on the cheek part that he sits on. Then it gets welt like and starts to ooze and bleed. I have wiped him a number of times and gotten red blood on the wipes. Right now he has a spot about the size of a quarter that looks like skin that came from a bath (all pruney like) and has chunks missing. I swear I should take a pic....He rarely gets juice and an over abundance of fruit...eats any sort of food (except spinich, I think I ruined him as a baby). Drinks tons of water. I cannot seem to narrow down why he is getting this. He already has 16 teeth so I cannot imagine that he is teething again. We have been getting these rashes for months and months
  • Try some bacitracin/neosporin and see the doc. :(
  • Poor baby :(

I'm not a CDing mama, but DS recently got a diaper rash and I used cloth wipes with warm water for a few days.  That alone helped out a ton!  At the very least it will be more comfortable for him than using disposable wipes.

I hope you find something that helps soon!

• It's definitely not too late to try CD's and they can be cheaper or you can spend a fortune.  A lot depends on how long he'll be using them and if you think you might have more kids or not, plus you can always sell them when you are done.

In fact, Cooper has finally fully PT'd so if you'd like to give them a try I can ship all of our stuff to you.  Then you can try them and see if it gets rid of the rash before you spend the money on a stash.

• Nutiva brand is what I usually buy.  They have it as Whole Foods, Raleys, Nob Hill, and health food stores.  Spectrum brand, which I've seen elsewhere, is not raw, it's "expellier pressed", which creates enough heat to kill off the anti-fungal qualities of the oil.

As for a beginner's guide, I would suggest buying 2 dozen flat fold diapers (but NOT Gerber brand, they're terrible and thin).  You generally have to wash them in hot water at least 6 times to shrink them properly for good absorption.  I always got mine from Green Mountain .  You'll need about 6 covers.  I always defaulted to ProRaps, because they were relatively inexpensive and they did the job well.  Wait until you decide if you love CDing before you buy more than 2 "pocket diapers" (the popular ones being BumGenius, Thirsties, and a few others)

• imagejsugrin:

It's definitely not too late to try CD's and they can be cheaper or you can spend a fortune.  A lot depends on how long he'll be using them and if you think you might have more kids or not, plus you can always sell them when you are done.

In fact, Cooper has finally fully PT'd so if you'd like to give them a try I can ship all of our stuff to you.  Then you can try them and see if it gets rid of the rash before you spend the money on a stash.

That is so nice of you to offer. I would love to. Can you email me how much you want for it all plus shipping costs...are they are certain size? Collin is in size 5 Luvs right now..

caseyleigh77 at yahoo

• I also agree it is never too late to CD.

FWIW my son HATED prefolds, It was a pocket/all in one or nothing. But they are fairly cheap to try out :)

Jsugrin is being super awesome to send you hers to try, if that were to fall through, I'd suggest getting a trail pack from one of the many online diaper sellers :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"