Preemies

reasons for slow weight gain???

took the nugget in for her 9 month well visit and she is doing great.....except for the weight gain.  She is just under 13lbs!!  She is hitting milestones left and right, eating solid foods and she drinking anywhere between 20 and 28 oz/day.  We visited with the growth and nutrition lab in September and they told us to stop fortifying her milk and just let her self-regulate, which I think shes done pretty well with.  Docs haven't ordered any blood work or anything to look into the slow growth.  But I can't help but worry - what would cause her to be such a slow gainer?  Am I worrying for nothing?  We are going back to the growth and nutrition lab in December (their first opening!!) just to check in - but I think our pedi doesn't really know what to do with this little nugget. 

Re: reasons for slow weight gain???

• How is she in relation to the curve? Obviously she's not on it, but is her curve approximately parallel to the regular curve? If so, I don't think I'd worry about it if she seems to be developing fine otherwise. If not, then I'd keep on my pedi to figure out whether maybe she has some kind of condition that makes it difficult for her body to absorb nutrients.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• I think I complain some how every other day about slow weight gain. My Ella is almost 1 and weighes 13.8 lbs. I am so frustrated. We are on 30 cal formula and she eats 3 times a day. I just dont know what else to do. 

The doctors are watching it but they say she is still growing and is eating well so there isnt a whole lot to do.  We meet with her nutritionist on Wednesday so I just pray we are on track. I had high hopes of going to whole milk in 2 weeks but each day I realize that probably wont happen.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagecaitdana:

I think I complain some how every other day about slow weight gain. My Ella is almost 1 and weighes 13.8 lbs. I am so frustrated. We are on 30 cal formula and she eats 3 times a day. I just dont know what else to do. 

The doctors are watching it but they say she is still growing and is eating well so there isnt a whole lot to do.  We meet with her nutritionist on Wednesday so I just pray we are on track. I had high hopes of going to whole milk in 2 weeks but each day I realize that probably wont happen.

this is where we are at.  She IS gaining, albeit slowly.  I think the doc doesn't know what to do because in every other aspect she is healthy: hitting milestones, eating solids, sleeping well.  So its not like there are big red flags other then her weight.  Its just frustrating.....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"