D.C. Area Babies
Options

Preschool Vent

I was prepared for DD to get sick a lot this first year in preschool.  I knew our 2 years of general healthiness was a blessing and that at some point she was going to catch every god forsaking germ out there to build up her immunity.  I was OK with that.  I am not OK with DH and I catching every single god forsaken cold, stomach virus, strep throat, gunky gross thing that is going around.  Seriously???  I get sick maybe once a year, and since September I can't remember a week where I felt 100%.  This is ridiculous.  On the bright side, DS is getting sick too, so perhaps there will be a reprieve in 2 years when he starts school...  Uggh.  <going off to drink my tea with lemon and honey>

Re: Preschool Vent

• Options

Totally agree - I was prepared for DS to get sick a lot when he started daycare a couple months ago, but catching whatever he had, on top of being up with him all night when he's sick really stinks. 

I've noticed that the colds seem to be shorter and less severe for me now when I do catch them though.  Hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel sooner than 2 years!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry.  Being sick is no fun.  DH usually catches what DDs have, but I have somehow been spared almost every time for almost 3 years now.  That is especially nice since I'm pg now and would feel 100x worse if I was sick.  But it should get better over time, as you build immunity to the preschool germs, like PP said. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I remember when DD started daycare, I was the one who got sick. I think that winter I was majorly sick 5-6 times, including getting an ear infection! It sucked! Just get through the first few months and it gets better. I think DD (and I) only got sick once last winter.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Vent away.  Whatever they get we seem to get X10.  They'll be really really healthy in Kindergarten... right?  RIGHT?
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options

imageclaraj:
    I remember when DD started daycare, I was the one who got sick. I think that winter I was majorly sick 5-6 times, including getting an ear infection! It sucked! Just get through the first few months and it gets better. I think DD (and I) only got sick once last winter.

So there is hope....  I'm holding onto this.

• Options

We seem to get it even just from gym daycare.  Ben woke up w/a fever this morning...

I wasn't to the doctor for an illness for about 10 years before Ben was born - in the past year I've had strep throat and now a very stubborn ear infection I've had for three weeks now - that I'm still trying to get rid of.  I think being more tired from raising kids just makes us less resistant to the germs...

I do hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel - but until that time - take comfort in knowing you are not alone!

• Options

imageArtslvr:
    Vent away.  Whatever they get we seem to get X10.  They'll be really really healthy in Kindergarten... right?  RIGHT?

yes, yes, YES!

Signed,

Mom, whose kids are still years away from kindergarten

• Options
    I really worry about this happening to us next year with preschool.  DD has been in daycare for over a year and a half, but her provider is a germophobe and I fear that DD hasn't been exposed to a lot of what's out there.  She's been sick with a runny nose, but not really SICK, and even still it has sucked when it passed on to me and DH a few times.  You have my sympathy.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I'm sorry. :( Was she in daycare before, or is this her first exposure to lots of other kids in a closed setting? I've heard the first 2 years are the worse, and then it gets better. I'm holding onto that thought.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageWinesNot Whines:
    I'm sorry. :( Was she in daycare before, or is this her first exposure to lots of other kids in a closed setting? I've heard the first 2 years are the worse, and then it gets better. I'm holding onto that thought.

She was at an in home provider, so it was much more intimate.  It's crazy how much stuff comes home.  I don't remember the last time all 4 of us have been healthy at the same time. 

• Options
    In LO's first month in daycare, he had a constant case of sniffles and one bad week of a cold. I got strep and ended up taking an antibiotic that knocked me for a loop. I am just now (a month later) back to normal, I think.
  • Options

I'm sorry.  :-(

I'm a little freaked out by DS's immune system.  He has had one cold since starting preschool.  He has had two fevers in his entire life, and no stomach viruses.  I think he's either the next invincible man or he's going to miss all of Kindergarten. 

• Options

imageWinesNot Whines:

I think it's really just the first year. The first year J was in daycare, he had RSV, a stomach bug, an ear infection, bronchitis (granted he was prone to respiratory stuff but still) plus other random colds and whatnot. 

His second year so far he has had . . . nothing, to speak of. A little runny nose here and there, but nothing to take him to the doctor for. Now it seems like DH and I are getting the germs and he isn't. He's just our sweet little vector.

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    imagetomandcourt:

imageWinesNot Whines:

I think it's really just the first year. The first year J was in daycare, he had RSV, a stomach bug, an ear infection, bronchitis (granted he was prone to respiratory stuff but still) plus other random colds and whatnot. 

His second year so far he has had . . . nothing, to speak of. A little runny nose here and there, but nothing to take him to the doctor for. Now it seems like DH and I are getting the germs and he isn't. He's just our sweet little vector.

That's good to hear. In M's first winter of daycare he came down with a cold every-other-week, some of them resulting in ear infections, two or three stomach viruses, and various other ailments.

We're on our second fall/winter in daycare, and he's already had one cold. I'm not looking forward to the next few months, but I hope it's better than last year.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagetomandcourt:

imageWinesNot Whines:

Yes, same with us. During the first year DS was in daycare he had just about every infection you can list (RSV, hand/foot/mouth, stomach bugs, Roseola, etc). But in the last 14 months he has only missed one day of school due to illness. It does get better! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"