Postpartum Depression

Breastfeeding & antidepressants

I have taken wellbutrin for 10 years every winter. I have clinical depression plus SADD. I have been off meds since April and having the baby in December.

I need to talk to my doctor about this winter. I am afraid I can't breastfeed if I take meds. I am more afraid I will slump in January without anything.

Anyone take antidepressants and breast feed?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Breastfeeding & antidepressants

• I did not take my meds and breast feed. I was super sad to stop but I didn't want my DD getting anything from meds. I also chose a med that was not safe for breast feeding. I knew this med would work for me because I had been on it before. I was super sad to not breast feed and felt so selfish and guilty because I was the one who got PPD and needed medication. But my mom reminded me that it was more important for DD to have a happy, functioning mom.

I wish I could help more. I know that my SIL breast fed on medication and her kid is just fine.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I don't have any experience with wellbutrin, but I started Zoloft while we were breastfeeding.  It's one of the safe ones.

But, like vickycat said, it's more important that you feel good than to breastfeed. So if the medication you need to take requires you to not breastfeed, know that your baby will still turn out great and that you can always get support here.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi there,

I plan to stay on 200mg/day of Zoloft while breastfeeding. My doctor has told me it's perfectly safe and given me loads of information on studies to prove it. I also had second and third opinions from 2 other docs who both stated the Zoloft is fine. One dr. also mentioned that Wellbutrin was a commonly prescribed med for those who are pregnant and/or breastfeeding, so it's worth looking into about the Wellbutrin.

I hope you feel better! 

Liza 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"