Georgia Babies
Options

Chickenpox vaccine mandatory for school??

Really??

Call me crazy, but I kinda thought it was like the flu shot. You got it if you want it, which I know you have a choice to not get any of them, or don't if you don't. We went for DS's 15 month appointment and they told us that it is mandatory for school now. When did this happen?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Chickenpox vaccine mandatory for school??

• Options
    It's been a while.  For daycare, we have to bring in complete updated vaccination records every few months.  Even when we had to delay some for Gavin they hounded me until I got it done. 

• Options
    It has been this way for a while I thought. I personally don't know why you wouldn't get it, chicken pox can be very dangerous - and while it usually isn't I wouldn't risk it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know chickenpox can be dangerous as can the flu, which is why I don't completely understand why one is mandatory and not the other. We got it, but I was just shocked when they said he would have to have it before K5. I haven't been in childcare or around small children since my first year in college 6 years ago, so I'm guessing it happened in between then and now. Thanks ladies!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageklynne924:
    I know chickenpox can be dangerous as can the flu, which is why I don't completely understand why one is mandatory and not the other.

Might be because so many kids are allergic to eggs with the flu vaccine and not all can take it.

• Options
    Or maybe because the flu vaccine usually changes every year, so its harder to require everyone to get it every year and bring in paperwork.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I didn't know you had to have it before kindergarten.  I actually questioned getting it for Adam, but I eneded up doing it becuase my pedi pushed it and she never pushes me to do anything.  About a month ago, I got a call from my pedi's office.  Turns out that my son was exposed to chicken pox during his occupational therapy. I have to admit with a 5 month old baby home at the time I was really glad Adam had gotten the vaccine.  I actually don't ususally do the flu either, but I guess this time I may take my pedi's recomendation. 

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"