Food Allergy

New adult egg allergy?

I hope y'all don't mind that this post is about me, thankfully my DD has no known allergies.

I've had some worrying symptoms that have resulted in 2 ER visits in the last month: tightness in my chest, pain radiating through my upper stomach, chest and back, and slight shortness of breath.  After lots of tests (X-ray, multiple EKGs, CT scan, bloodwork) I was given a huge bill and a tentative diagnosis of bronchitis that I totally disagree with, an albuterol inhaler which does nothing, and a Z-Pak that had no noticeable effect.

I realized that every time I've had issues it's been within a few hours of eating eggs.  I haven't had any symptoms when they've been as a minor ingredient in something else, only as a major component of a meal.  Before now I've eaten eggs without any issue all of my life and have no other known food allergies.  

Does this sound right to you?  Should I see my PCP or just avoid eggs from now on?  Any other suggestions? 

Re: New adult egg allergy?

• It's certainly possible.  I developed a peanut allergy at age 25.  I'd get yourself to an allergist and get tested!  (And maybe avoid eggs in the meantime)
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would also recommend an allergist. DD developed her egg allergy after eating them for several years. With lots of gut healing we can give them to her on a rotation diet in small amounts. We did a food challenge though and lots of allergy testing. You may want to ask for Ige and iGg in case it's a sensitivity vs true Ige allergic response. Are you taking digestive enzymes or probiotics currently?
  • Loading the player...
  • I would totally go to an allergist asap and get yourself tested for the top 8.  All of your symptoms sound like an allergy to eggs.   I would get yourself tested so you know what your levels are and perhaps you may need an epipen (that can save your life one day).

I know a few people that got adult allergies (mainly to nuts) but anything is possible.  I have read in a book before that anyone can get tested and show positive for food allergies but their bodies know how to handle it.  But sometimes when you get older your body changes and those allergies become worse and worse. I wouldn't mess around with it. I would just get your self tested -at least you'll know it's allergies or not.  if not, you can start figuring out what else it could be.. i think knowing what's wrong is a life savior.

• imagecarlinlp:
    I would also recommend an allergist. DD developed her egg allergy after eating them for several years. With lots of gut healing we can give them to her on a rotation diet in small amounts. We did a food challenge though and lots of allergy testing. You may want to ask for Ige and iGg in case it's a sensitivity vs true Ige allergic response. Are you taking digestive enzymes or probiotics currently?

I'm not but I guess I should be, especially given the recent Z-Pak.  I'll grab some today and I just made an appointment with an allergist.

Thanks for all of the responses! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"