February 2012 Moms
Options

My house feels dingy and dirty...but I swear it's clean!

Hi ladies, is anyone else feeling this way?

I am a part time stay at home step-mom and a full time house wife until baby gets here, then I will be a full time stay at home mom. Anyway, what I am trying to say is that I have time to clean the house, which I do, and I also make sure to keep it tidy.

But lately it just seems like it's dingy and dirty. I notice all the places that need to be dusted, mopped, scrubbed and even after I fix it, it still seems dirty. The carpet stiars need to be cleaned and the dog had an accident upstairs but we can't afford to have the carpets cleaned right now...it makes me irritated everytime I see the stains. And my DH is so gross in the bathroom...the other day he said I should put away all his laundry because "it's my job" and I said "no, I clean your bathroom messes and until you do you can put away your own laundry". I wash all the clothes, even though he works and I stay at home that doesn't mean I am his maid...he should still have some responsibilities when it comes to his things.

Ugh...is it just hormones or what? My mom and sisters say I have a nice home, but I can't help but see all the imperfections and it's starting to drive me crazy.

Re: My house feels dingy and dirty...but I swear it's clean!

• Options

As far as the house always feeling dirty, it's probably just hormones/nesting.

But as far as the way your husband is acting - he's being a douche.  Did you guys discuss household chores/responsibilities before getting married/moving in together?  DH and I have an agreement that I handle the inside, he handles the outside.  But he's still capable of wiping his nose hair off the bathroom counter or making sure all his crusty socks get into the correct hampers.  He may not be responsible for scrubbing the toilets or folding the whites - but he's still a grown man and doesn't expect me to act like his mother.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 5.31.2011 ~*~ Michael Joseph ~*~ BORN 2.8.2012
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Exactly, I am not his mom and shouldn't have to clean up when he misses the toilet or scrub out the yucky mess inside!

Since he works, my job is to take care of the house. DH has always been a slob...but he has it in his head that I do nothing all day and he works so it's my job to do everything.

When he said the comment about putting away his clothes I finally sat down and told him that it's my job to take care of the house but that doesn't mean I am his personal maid. I clean, do the laundry, take care of my step daughter, take care of the cat and dog, pay bills, etc. All he has to do it go to work, take out the trash, and do the outside stuff. I made it clear that he is responsible for his personal things like making his own lunches for work and putting away his clothes. (which he never does. he complains he's hungry at work...but he won't make a sandwich for himself and he complains that his clothes are wrinkled from being in the hamper yet he doesn't put them away)

I get that he works hard, but he doesn't see that I do too.

Ugh...slowly but surely he's getting the point, but still...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well, I hope that he gets his sh!t together before LO is born - because the last thing you'll need is to take care of two needy babies.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 5.31.2011 ~*~ Michael Joseph ~*~ BORN 2.8.2012
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Luckily, my DH is fairly neat (except for leaving his clothes everywhere in our room and heaped at the bottom of the closet).

But I hear you on feeling like everything is dingy! We're getting our carpets and furniture professionally cleaned tomorrow, for that very reason! I didn't even want to work on the kids' bedrooms (we're switching our toddler into the current spare room and re-doing the nursery, so I get 2 rooms to decorate!) until I feel like the rest of the house is presentable!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You mean you stay at home and actually DO something? Stick out tongue I'm a SAHM too and I think some people think we do diddly-squat. I agree with you that your husband needs to realize you are not his maid.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"