November 2011 Moms

Polyhydramnios - amniotic fluid at 31cm??

I've been having my amniotic fluid monitored closely ever since I went into L&D with decreased fetal movement and they determined it was higher than average. My stats:

10/9/11 - 21cm

10/18/11 - 24cm

10/21/11 - 28.5cm

10/25/11 - 31cm

That's a 10cm jump in just over 2 weeks! We saw a high-risk doc who I did not care for at all and he said that according to AACOG induction or c-section is not indicated for high fluid levels or for big baby (also having a huge baby - she's measuring over 8 pounds and I will be 37 weeks tomorrow).

I've been spending way too much time hanging out with Dr. Google and I see that severe polyhydramnios can cause things like umbilical cord prolapse and placental abruption. Given that the 97th percentile fluid index is about 27, I consider my polyhydramnios to be severe!

I'm not asking my OB to go in and get her out too early, so please no flames. We are going to see how my fluid levels look on Friday, and make some decisions from there. I just can't help but feel that my ute is becoming a dangerous place for LO, and I want to get her in my arms as soon as possible so I know she is safe.

Summary: when high risk doc and your regular OB tell you it's ok to wait until 39 weeks to get the baby out, but momma's instinct is telling you there is a serious concern here, what do you do? Just wait it out and trust the doctors? Also, anybody else dealing with these crazy fluid volumes?

Mom to E, 11/2011 - Severe egg & dairy allergies, soy intolerance *** Stepmom to G, 2001

Re: Polyhydramnios - amniotic fluid at 31cm??

• I am not having fluid issues but wanted to say if our mommy gut is worried then you need to express that with your OB. She will either see the need for concern and act or explain to you why they are NOT concerned and ease your mind. GL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would just wait it out for now because it sounds like the potential complications are labor-related, so whether you go into labor now or on your due date it's the same potential issues. The problems are only risks, also. I'm thinking the main thing is to be aware of the symptoms that there is a problem so that you know whether to get your butt to the hospital early, otherwise agree...there isn't really a reason to take the baby out.
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Loading the player...
  • I am having the same issues; high fluid levels (28, 21, 22 and 26 cm.) and a big baby at 7lbs. 15 oz. at 37 weeks. I have been freaking myself out as well and I was dumb and did the googling too. But I have decided that I am just going to trust that my Dr. knows what he is doing; he is not worried at this point, so I am not going to either. I know it's scary, but since it sounds like your Doc is going to talk to you Friday about making plans, I think that's a good sign. Just keep your chin up, no more googling and stressing, and make sure you let them know if ANYTHING feels wrong. Best of luck with everything and wishes for a happy and healthy little one whenever is their time to come :)
  • imagedesine77:
    I am having the same issues; high fluid levels (28, 21, 22 and 26 cm.) and a big baby at 7lbs. 15 oz. at 37 weeks. I have been freaking myself out as well and I was dumb and did the googling too. But I have decided that I am just going to trust that my Dr. knows what he is doing; he is not worried at this point, so I am not going to either. I know it's scary, but since it sounds like your Doc is going to talk to you Friday about making plans, I think that's a good sign. Just keep your chin up, no more googling and stressing, and make sure you let them know if ANYTHING feels wrong. Best of luck with everything and wishes for a happy and healthy little one whenever is their time to come :)

That's right, we are having the same pregnancy!!! Thank you for the comments and advice - I think I'm going to go over to the doctor's office on my lunch break since I haven't felt her since last night.. otherwise I'm just going to try to quit stressing about all of this!

Mom to E, 11/2011 - Severe egg & dairy allergies, soy intolerance *** Stepmom to G, 2001
  • imageChristine&Mario:

imagedesine77:
    I am having the same issues; high fluid levels (28, 21, 22 and 26 cm.) and a big baby at 7lbs. 15 oz. at 37 weeks. I have been freaking myself out as well and I was dumb and did the googling too. But I have decided that I am just going to trust that my Dr. knows what he is doing; he is not worried at this point, so I am not going to either. I know it's scary, but since it sounds like your Doc is going to talk to you Friday about making plans, I think that's a good sign. Just keep your chin up, no more googling and stressing, and make sure you let them know if ANYTHING feels wrong. Best of luck with everything and wishes for a happy and healthy little one whenever is their time to come :)

That's right, we are having the same pregnancy!!! Thank you for the comments and advice - I think I'm going to go over to the doctor's office on my lunch break since I haven't felt her since last night.. otherwise I'm just going to try to quit stressing about all of this!

Oh yea! You're my miserable preggo buddy haha; you poor thing, I hope she starts moving around soon and that the NST goes well for you :) 

• Is this the same as having low amniotic fluid levels? If so, I was placed on bedrest last week. I was told that the fluid levels were too low and the nurse asked me if my water already broke. I told her " No, if my water broke, I would be in the hospital". I wanted to say more but I didn't. I did admit that I had been wearing a pantyliner b/c I had been having wetness. They told me that my amniotic fluid has been leaking out. I totally was alarmed. I go back to tomorrow to run more tests. I'm not going to stress anymore about it, because I have too much on my plate as it is. So, you don't worry either girl, everything will be just fine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"