April 2011 Moms

Watermelon Mom

I just saw your post from yesterday that closing your vents messes up your heating system.  I'm not trying to snark you, but now I have to know...how?  We have rooms in the house we don't particularly use or that are in more shade/sun during the year which drastically alters the temperature of the room.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Watermelon Mom

• Heating systems require air flow.  When they are designed, the designer figures into the sizing of the unit how many vents are in the house, and how much air flow that will provide to the unit to let it "breathe." When you shut one of your vents, you limit your system's air flow, which results in the unit overheating.  This will wear out your unit many years earlier, and also result in higher energy bills as your system attempts to do its job without the proper venting.

Hope that made sense!  I know that people like to do this, and I'm not sure what the answer is, because I understand that there are rooms that don't get used/get baked in the sun, etc.  It's just not good for the system or your bills.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • I'm glad you had a chance to look at this!  We live in an older house and I know our heater is very efficiant (ugh, I know thats spelled wrong) but our A/C is 25 years old and is HORRIBLE.  And with all the expenses we have, we're hoping to afford a new one before next summer.  In the mean time we are investing in two new celling fans to go in our warmest summer month rooms. 

I am temped to buy a space heater for LO's room because it's so cold compared to other rooms but then there is that terrifying possibility of burns/fire so I will have to layer her up until she is old enough for a blanket!

Thanks for the tips- I had no idea

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"