Pre-School and Daycare

Bike or scooter for 4 year old?

My mom wants to get the boys bikes for Christmas, which I was excited about. But then someone brought up scooters (the 3 wheeled kind) and now I'm thinking that might be a better option, because:

- we don't have anywhere for them to ride bikes, and I can't fit three bikes in the back of my van to take them somewhere

- we don't have anywhere to store bikes, so they'd live in our dining room (where their barely used tricycles do now)

At least with scooters, we could easily fit them in the car to take them to the park or wherever. And they'd be a LOT easier to store. We do have a small driveway they could ride scooters on, but I don't think three bikes would fit there easily.

But...something's holding me back. Bikes seem like an important part of growing up, you know? But our neighborhood isn't bike friendly. And I don't think we'd get much use out of them. 

Hmmm. Thoughts?

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
My blog * We made the national news!

Re: Bike or scooter for 4 year old?

• My girls both have both and they love them both.  My street is not the most friendly for either and we don't have sidewalks but we do ride the bikes and scooters there and I would say that the bikes are used more but given the space issues you have - I would go for the scooters for now since they are super easy to toss into the car and go.  I would try and figure out a way to have bikes at some point, as you said - it is a part of childhood that all kids should experience.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • I would go for the scooters for now.  If they are not using their trikes then I don't see them actually using their bikes - especially if you have no convenient place for them to ride.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Considering that they don't use their trikes much and your neighborhood isn't bike friendly, I'd go for scooters now. My DD has both and does well on both, but she prefers the bike for longer rides. However, she has a total blast using the scooter to zip in circles around the garage, at the park or basketball courts when they're empty.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My son loves his bike.  He has been riding since he was almost 3 (he got it for Christmas).  That is my only feedback... we skipped scooters and trikes.
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Mine prefer their bikes but I believe they are outgrowing their scooters.  We often take them somewhere to ride bikes (friends, park, track), although our neighborhood is bike friendly also.     

I am thinking about upgrading to Razors for Xmas.   

eta:  both the kids got their first bike at age 4 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DD is getting a scooter for her 4th birthday next month. She's been asking for one forever. She doesn't have a bike.
    Momma to 2 sweet girls here on earth and a precious baby boy in heaven
  • My son loves loves his scooter. We got him a tricycle last year and it was a waste of money. We just got him the balance bike ( bike with no pedals) and he seems to be into it. Here is the scooter and bike that we have:

https://www.amazon.com/Kickboard-USA-Mini-micro-Blau/dp/B000ES178C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319768234&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Strider-PREbike-Balance-Running-Bike/dp/B0018N77TK/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1319768258&sr=1-1
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"