North Carolina Babies

Fun things in Charlotte?

We're heading to Charlotte for the 1st weekend of November. I won a free hotel stay & tickets to the Nascar museum. We'll be staying downtown at the Omni which looks to be around the Over Street Mall. 

I see the Discovery Place museum is there - worth a trip? Any parks or (free!) family friendly things close by we may enjoy?

TIA!  

ETA: What is parking like in downtown Charlotte?  

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001

Re: Fun things in Charlotte?

• I live just north of Charlotte so I don't know the parking situation that well, though there are a ton of street meters and parking ramps...the meters may be free on weekends as well.

Check out "Imaginon" for a fun, free thing to do: https://www.imaginon.org/ .  My 18mo has a great time there.  Discovery Place is really fun as well.  We go to Freedom Park a lot (free)...its a big park with a jungle gym and it is very pretty. Charlotte Nature Museum is attached to the park https://www.charlottenaturemuseum.org/ and this is a cute little nature center with a handful of animals and a little butterfly atrium.  

Have fun! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagelawyerin:

Check out "Imaginon" for a fun, free thing to do: https://www.imaginon.org/ .  My 18mo has a great time there. 

thanks for all the suggestions! what is imaginon? I'm confused by their site! Is it like an interactive library area? 

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Loading the player...
  • Yup, its a library but also has a ton of little play areas for kids.  For example there is a "recycling center" where kids pretend to recycle, and a grocery store, and a smart car to sit in.  Its pretty entertaining. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Discovery place is fun, and your LO would probably like it. Its a few blocks from the Omni (which is right at the center of town). They also have a IMAX 3d theater there.  Freedom park is a short drive away, and very nice with a playground, etc. If you wanted to walk to walk to a play area for him, First Presby church has one right out front and I think its open to the public...you would leave the Omni, cross over Tryon and walk down Trade (past hooters) a block. Its at the corner of Trade/Church. I wouldn't count on much in Overstreet Mall being open, its mostly locked up during the weekends. Though I  think Chik-fil-a probably will be, and maybe McDonalds.

There is also a park about 4 blocks away (take a left on Tryon and keep walking)...its on your left (on your way to the Nascar Hall of Fame). There is a fuel pizza there too for a cheap place to eat. The Epicentre is behind the Omni...they have a CVS if you need anything, a bowling alley, movie theater, etc. Good luck!

M/C #1 BFP 5/26/08, missed m/c discovered 9w1d (blighted ovum) M/C #2 BFP 11/19/08, missed m/c discovered at 12w1d (triploidy) BFP!! 3/27 Due date 12/5/09 Benjamin Tate is here! Born 12-1-09, 9lbs 5oz, 22" via C-Section M/C #3: d/x ectopic, methotrexate given 2/11 BFP!! 7/12, due 3-21-12
  • Much of the meter parking is free on weekends.  Omni is smack dab in the heart of uptown, but if you look up or down Tryon a bit you might find free parking.  May I say you are super lucky that the Panthers aren't playing that weekend, cuz it'd be a madhouse otherwise.

BTW the Nascar museum is super fun.  DH and I are completely ignorant when it comes to Nascar but we checked it out and that's by far the best museum experience I've had in Charlotte, very interactive.  I second the Nature museum for little ones,  IMO Discovery place is a bit overpriced but it is very hands on for kids.

There's going to be a chili cookoff just south of uptown if you're willing to drive 5-10 minutes on Sunday the 6th.  5$ for grownups, kids are free.  You can also enjoy looking at all of the fancy houses in the area.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"