School-Aged Children

What would you get for a 9 yr old girl and a 7 yr old boy?

Hi, I do not belong to this board, but I really need help. I need to buy presents for my niece and nephew and I am not sure what would they like. I am thinking a piece of clothing, a book and a toy for each of them. So I am having a hard time choosing books and toys. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What would you get for a 9 yr old girl and a 7 yr old boy?

• Do you know what they are into? 

If I was doing this blindly, I'd pick a project kit for the girl....like bracelet/jewelry set, or there are American Girl craft kits at JoAnns and Michaels.  

For the boy, I'd try to find a science kit....or some type of art kit (like something that includes markers/colored pencils/paints/stencils, etc.  

As for books....that is tough.  I'd probably skip that if you don't have a clue what they like to read about or what level they read at. 

• We're a nice group and always welcome posts.

My daughter is 9. As much as she loves clothes, she does not like them as presents. The 7 year old boy definitely will not want clothing as a gift. 

Books are great for both ages. At 9, the girls are reading series and chapter books...Warriors (by Erin Hunter), anything by Judy Moody, American Girl, Harry Potter... things like that. I'm not sure about 7 year old boy's interests.

My daughter and her friends all seem to like stuffed animals and pillow pets.

Other than those general things, do you know the kids' great loves? By that age, they usually have one area that they LOVE. For my daughter, it is animals. You could get her a book, a figurine, a poster, make a donation to a charity, a ticket to the zoo... anything animal oriented makes her happy.

Newlyweds since 2007
  • Loading the player...
  • Almost every 9 y/o girl I have know liked craft kits and art supplies.  Whether she's a "girly" girl or more of a "tomboy" you pretty much can't go wrong with craft stuff!  A 9 y/o can probably handle any book from the "independent reader" shelves in the bookstore.  My DD really likes books by Gail Carson Levine: Ella Enchanted, Fairest, and The Two Princesses of Bamarre.

Not so for boys, in my experience.  My son is 7, and he's really into Lego, Star Wars, Pokemon, and Beyblades.  There are tons of DK Readers about all these topics, ranging from "easy to read" to short chapter books.  My son adores these!

Also, both my kids have always really liked Mad Libs.  They both like comic book collections (Garfield, Foxtrot, etc.) DD also likes Sudoku, but she may just be weird in that way. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Boy:

Lego Set

Magic Tree House book from their series. https://www.magictreehouse.com/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Does the 9 year old have a locker at school?  DD received Locker Looks (Lokz?) products for her locker and LOVED them (walpaper, mirrors, carpeting, decorative bows).  I would not get them if her locker does not have a lock.  She also likes clothes - but some 9 yo start to get picky.

For books, dd is reading "Tales of a 4th grade nothing" (Judy Blume), Goosebumps, American girl books (there is a new one out about New Orleans), Charlie and the Choclate Factory, Trading Faces, Bennicula (vampire bunny), My sister the vampire (notice a trend?  She likes scary books), from the Mixed up Files of Basil E Frankwiler (spelled wrong probably but it was a movie with Jodie Fostser).

She just got a really cool card game called "Sleeping Queens" that she likes.  Also, Apples to Apples Jr., Disney SceneIt.

DS is not really reading on his own yet, but he likes star wars books.  I would get the 7 year old a book on a subject that he likes.  If he is a reader, maybe Ripley's Believe it or Not.  

DS has started playing Apples to Apples Jr.  again, hard b/c he is just starting to read so he needs a partner to play.  Operation (like Spongebob or the regular one), He does enjoy Legos and action figures and army guys. 

• My daughter is almost 9 and as much as she loves clothes, getting them as presents can be tricky. She is developing her own style, so buying for her can be hard if you aren't sure what she's wearing. I suggest, like PP, a craft set. She has a few like "Make your own" cards, puppet, and magnets. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Oct Angel Babies boots badge
  • Gift cards for itunes, gamestop, clothing store they like or cash.  My niece is turning 8 this year and wants cash or itunes GC.  she's definitely a big girl now and wants to have a GC to load up her ipod or buy a new game for her DS. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"