Military Families
Options

Any of you give birth while husband away?

Did any of you gave birth while husband was away or on travel for the military?

Husband may or may not be home because of some trips he has coming up. I'm full term. Luckily, after the baby comes, he can take his ten days of leave.

I live off base so I made two emergency contacts to call in case I go into labor...

Re: Any of you give birth while husband away?

• Options
    I haven't yet, but I will. DH is deployed and my EDD is about 2 months before he's scheduled to return. Sounds as if you have a plan. I actually ended up moving home because of some early complications. It sucks, but we knew when we were TTC that it was a possibility.
  • Options

That's so great you were able to move home. I might be alone except for maybe a nice lady at my church who said she'd be willing to drive me on Post.

Kind of nervous about giving birth without anyone here, but I'm very thankful he has a great job and I can't complain about our hospital. It's great.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I gave birth for our first DD while my DH was deployed.
    I actually gave birth just a little over a month after he left for deployment.
    You are VERY VERY smart for making sure you had emergency contacts in case you go into labor, you never know if you'll be able to drive yourself at this point.
    I was very fortunate to go into labor while my inlaws were around, had I gone into labor the next day I would have most likely given birth at home alone on my kitchen floor lol.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I gave birth to Jacob while husband was deployed.  my mom was supposed to come down to be there with me, however Jacob came 5 weeks early.   I know in the Air Force they have 1 year to take there 10 days of paternity leave

• Options
    NSLNSL member

I gave birth to our second while my H was deployed.  My parents came down to stay with me a couple of weeks before my due date so we didn't have to worry about care for my older son who I went into labor.

I wouldn't characterize the experience as fun, but it was do-able.  Best of luck to you! 

• Options

Thanks. I didn't realize they had so long to take paternity leave.

Luckily I have some friends but it's just really lonely to think of being without my husband and no relatives.

New friends are okay and I'm grateful for their company but every day on Facebook I see friends having babies. I'm very happy for them but it's tough to see them surrounded by friends and family.

Not trying to complain but it's nice to talk to people in the same situation and know others have gone through the same thing.

• Options
    My husband is in AIT in Texas, and I'm in Colorado with my Dad until he gets his orders. His graduation date is a week after my due date. So I will most likely be having our son without him.
  • Options
    imageNSL:

I wouldn't characterize the experience as fun, but it was do-able.  Best of luck to you! 

This is the perfect way to put it...
    Definitely not a fun experience, but do able.
    Words right out of my mouth.

• Options
    Yes, My husband missed my entire pregnancy, and missed the birth by a day. He was home for 2 weeks after he was born.  He then left again and didn't come home till our son was almost 6 months old.  YOU CAN DO IT!! :)   My best friend and her BF took me to the hospital and my parents stayed with me till my husband got there the next day!
  • Options
    I had E while DH was deployed. I moved home bc I was on bed rest so my mom and best friend were with me during the birth. While I would have obviously loved having DH there, I had a much better experience than I anticipated. Good luck! 
  • Options

Thanks for the encouragement. I have no family here.

He leaves tomorrow for a trip. He is in transportation so he comes and goes.

The thought can just unsettle me sometimes that he may be away during the birthing process. He can eventually fly home if he hears I'm having him, but he will of course have to finish whatever project he's on. He can't just abandon his job for a month or two while we wait. He'll take his ten days of leave after the baby is here.

I have some older lady friends that are nice but I don't know them that well.

• Options
    Where are you? My H just left for Ranger School and I'm due in 2 weeks haha. Luckily my mom will be here in a few days so hopefully baby stays put for the next few days. It sucks not having him here but it's all part of the deal. Like NSL said, it's doable...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"