April 2012 Moms
Options

Who is still eating lunch meat?

Despite all the "hype" around it?  I asked my OB nurse about it and she'd never heard of not eating it during pregnancy (which I thought was weird).  She just said to limit lunch meat to once a week because of nitrates, but the bump makes me scared of lunch meat!  Who's still chomping down?!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Who is still eating lunch meat?

• Options
    I cut it up and put it on a quiche yesterday. I stopped eating it on it's own in a sandwich but have eaten it in an anti-pasta salad once or twice. That's about it.
  • Options
    I don't eat it at all b/c of all the preservatives in it, but I would still not eat it during pregnancy. Listeria is not something that differentiates on how often you eat it. If you eat something with it once and are infected then it could cause a miscarriage. I would at least heat it up first.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am....Sandwiches are my biggest craving. But I dont like cold sandwiches, I prefer them heated/toasted anyway, which is how they say you should eat it...
    imagepregnancy
  • Options

It's a risk, albeit a small one. It's basically up to you if you want to take it. With my first pregnancy, I was still eating it. I'm not this time around (unless it's heated).

I do think it's odd that your OB nurse had never heard of avoiding it b/c of listeria.

eta: and ditto PP - the risk is there every time you eat it w/o heating. You could eat it once and get listeria, or you could eat it every day for 9 months and be just fine. It isn't really an "in moderation" thing. (Bump pet peeve alert! lol)

• Options
    I've been going to Jimmy John's about every two weeks. I can't seem to help myself.
  • Options
    I eat it all the time. I buy it sliced fresh from the deli and heat it up in the oven (the bread gets toasty and the cheese melts too, and it's so good!). Sandwiches are one of my biggest cravings.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I eat it in moderation.  Once a week or so.  I think if you don't over do it and if it's quality meat from a good deli with fresh meats you are probably ok.
    My perfect boy was born at 2:23am, April 22, 2012. Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I still am.
  • Options
    I have not been eating it.  I recognize the risk is very small, but I'm not eating it.  I'm not a big sandwich person though--I'd much rather have my sushi, which I miss every day!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• Options
    I am! My office says there's a small chance it can cause food poisoning and you can avoid it or heat it if you want, but they're not on the absolutely don't eat it train.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

imagejamesnnatasha:
    I've been going to Jimmy John's about every two weeks. I can't seem to help myself.

This is me, also. Before BFP, I was taking a lunch meat sandwich every day for lunch. Now, I don't do that, but I also don't avoid it by any means.

imageVisit The Nest!
  • Options
    I'm eating some right now.
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Options

I've hit up Panera more than once with a chicken noodle soup and half sandwich craving. Loveee that place. I can't help myself sometimes.

• Options
    I eat toasted subs and occassionally an antipasta salad :)
  • Options

imageWildcatPrincess:
    I am! My office says there's a small chance it can cause food poisoning and you can avoid it or heat it if you want, but they're not on the absolutely don't eat it train.

I am!  And can I just say Wildcat that I love your siggy pic!  I love Dean and I love that car.  If he pulled up outside my house, I'm not going to lie, I'd hop in and drive off. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Anniversary
  • Options
    I still eat it.  i enjoy it!
    April 10 IUI BFN Sept 10 IUI BRN Feb 11 IVF hoping for a BFP! Feb 27 ER 28 eggs Mar 4 8 health eggs, 2 ET Mar 17 - Beta 180!! BFP!!! Mar 21 - Beta 1295!! holy cow what a jump Coming soon 1st Sono March 30!!! Crossing fingers for healthy stick bean(s) Mar 29 miscarry :( 6w 3d 2nd IVF July 2011 BFP July 2011 M/C 11/11/11 hate to say good bye again! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 3rd IVF 4/3/12 ER 46 eggs (holly cow batman) 40 mature, 36 fertilized 4/8/12 ET 2 AB put back 4/10/12 15 make it to FREEZE 4/22/12 Beta BFN 1st FET 6/7/12 Day we are going to put back 2. 6/21/12 BFP 1285 6/25/12 4780 I hope this time they stick!! Deaglan William welcome. My rainbow is finally here February 7, 2013
  • Options
    I"m not eating any lunch meat, but to be honest I don't really want it either.
                                                                                   4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14
                  imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby #2 Chart

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    I have it when I feel like it (which is not often - I wasn't a big lunch meat person to begin with).   I won't shy away from a Subway sandwich every now and again.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've been eating a lot of Quizno's, but it's toasted
  • Options
    I have it a couple times a week and always heat it up.
    image Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    I do once every 1-2 weeks. I don't heat it up.
    First birth: Natural (med-free) Second birth: Hell, no. Epidural all the way. Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm still eating it.
  • Options
    I'm not a big meat eater normally, but have had a couple of unheated sandwiches when I was on the run and starving.
    Belly Dweller: EDD 04/22/2014
    Big Boy: Born 05/2012
  • Options
    imagewhiterabbit5:

imageWildcatPrincess:

I am!  And can I just say Wildcat that I love your siggy pic!  I love Dean and I love that car.  If he pulled up outside my house, I'm not going to lie, I'd hop in and drive off. 

LOL, me too! Though I'm a Sam girl myself. I met Jared Padalecki in Boston this summer and my husband kept reminding me I had to come home after haha.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm obviously the minority, but i'm not. It's just one thing to me, that's silly if I do eat it, the risk is there, so why chance it? It took me a year and a half plus a miscarriage to get here, so i'm not going to take that risk. I say, to each their own though.

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
    DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
    DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac
  • Options

I use the common sense rule. Hot dog from a gas station? Not a good idea. Hot dog I prepare myself? Fine. Lunch meat sandwich that's been sitting out in a deli? No. Lunch meat sandwich I prepare myself? Yes. Sushi from the grocery store cooler? No. Sushi from a quality restaurant? Yes. I'm on my third baby, and it's worked for me so far...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had my last cold cut sandwich for lunch the day I got my BFP (before the BFP) and that's the last time I've had it. I totally crave it but don't feel like the risk to the baby is worth it for me personally. DH is already on notice to bring me a turkey sub in the hospital after baby is born!
    IMG_0293

Mr. & Mrs. 10/2/10 | Dx w/PCOS March 2011
    BFP - 7/25/11 | EDD 4/3/12 | C-section 2/7/12 @ 32 weeks 
    BFP - 1/07/14 | EDD 9/20/14

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I eat it every now and then- usually when we're out at some place like Panera Bread =] I don't heat it up or anything.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options
    I am.  I have a turkey sandwich sitting here at my desk for lunch and I'm not even going to microwave it.  Indifferent

BFP#1 1.28.10; HB 6w5d 2.18.10; No HB 3.8.10; Natural m/c 3.9.10 at 9w3d
    BFP#2 - 7.22.10 DD born 3.16.11
    BFP#3 - 8.11.11 DS born 3.27.12
  • Options
    I've had a few inservices that I've had to attend that the provided lunch was a deli sandwich ring.  So my choice was, eat lunch meat, or not eat until after the inservice.  There are also times I've had soft serve ice cream, which has the same risk of listeria.  And then I read all of these reports about random other products being recalled for listeria.  I've had DiBella's subs (a local amazing place) heated up, but even then, I've heard the temp you'd need to heat meat to in order to kill the listeria would kill the quality of the meat anyway.
    Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I still eat it I try and heat up the meat as often as I can but if I can I still have had it from time to time I just have tried to make it not a habit to eat it like I normally would
  • Options
    I am. I get Subway at least twice a month.
  • Options

Yup, loving me some turkey sandwiches with lots of mustard. Big Smile

BFP #1 4/2/09 mc 4/12/09 BFP #2 6/2/09 Ectopic 6/23/09 BFP #3 10/16/09 Healthy DS 6/21/10 BFP #4 10/1/10 CP BFP #5 8/19/11 EDD 4/29/12 Betas- #1 82.8 8/22 #2 172.7 8/24 #3 494.2 8/26 #4 2657.8 8/29 u/s #1 9/6 yolk sac no fetal pole u/s #2 9/12 measuring 7w1d HR 144BPM Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • Options

Luckily I am not at all craving lunch meat. Ever since the day I found out the risks of listeria in lunch meat, I have not had one serving. I'd feel differently if I liked it heated up, but I dont. So I am choosing not to take any risk with it.

• Options
    imagelenfant1201:

I use the common sense rule. Hot dog from a gas station? Not a good idea.

If the hot dog's hot, it's fine. Heat kills listeria. So good news - you can eat gas station weiner! lol

• Options
    I still have it occasionally (ok per my Drs office) I believe people want you to avoidit mostly because of the potential risk due to listeria. However, with the recent cantaloupe and romaine lettuce listeria outbreaks, it seems as though lunch meat shouldn't be the only concern. THat said, I am not going to outright ban any one food when nasty contaminants can affect any number of foods/products.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I never quit or heated it up for the last one and I won't for this one, either.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I eat it in moderation.

• Options

I try to avoid cold deli meats as much as possible, although I did have a situation where I was in an all day meeting and all they brought in for lunch were turkey and roast beef sandwiches. I was starving and had no other options so I ate one. It was a month ago already and I seem to be okay :)

I will eat them now and then if it's a hot sandwich, like the turkey panini I had at Panera over the weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"