Washington Babies

Marathoners?

Any marathoners out there? I finished the Portland marathon a couple of weeks ago and since I'm already trained up, I thought I would do the Seattle marathon the end of November. I ran a 13.1 mile run yesterday with my running club (the first real run since the marathon) and felt pretty good. Has anyone done the Seattle marathon - what are your thoughts on that race? I already know I'm crazy for thinking of this, but is it possible for a not fast/strong runner to do two marathons within two months?

Photobucket  image
Married: December 2005 ~ Started TTC: December 2008 ~ DH: 33, Me: 30
Diagnosis: severe MFI, late ovulation, short LP, DOR
Only option is IVF/ICIS. Waited several years before treatment because we're OOP.
IVF/ICIS #1 in June 2012 (Protocol: Long Lupron). Stims: 6/17/12, ER: 6/30/12 (6R, 5M, 4F), ET: 7/5/12 (1 4AA embryo transferred, 0 made it to freeze) ~ Beta#1: 7/14/12 - 55, Beta#2: 7/16/12 - 100, Beta#3: 7/18/12 - 199 ~ Limbo for weeks, finally confirmed pregnancy not viable: 8/13/12 ~ D&C: 8/17/12 
Varicocele Surgery: October 2012 (long break to wait for results, no change) 
Changed clinics: February 2013 
IVF/ICIS Attempt #2 in April 2013 (Protocol: Antagonist). Stims: 4/12/13, Cycle Cancelled: 4/17/13 for poor follicle response and low E2 rise. 
IVF/ICIS Attempt #3 in May 2013 (Protocol: LEAP) Cycle Cancelled: 5/20/13 at suppression check due to cyst
IVF/ICIS Attempt #4 in July 2013 (Protocol: LEAP). Stims: 7/20/13, ER: 8/1/13 (12R, 11M, 9F), ET: 8/6/13 (3 fair embryos transferred, 0 made it to freeze) ~ Beta#1: 8/15/13 - 86, Beta#2: 8/18/13 - 390.6, Ultrasound: 9/3/13 - TWO HEARTBEATS! 

Re: Marathoners?

• I'm no marathoner, that's for sure, but I think you could do it!  Seattle is hilly and cold from what I hear, but give it a try!  You should know how you're doing fairly soon into the race, and if you just end up doing the half instead at least you tried. 

Great job on Portland!  Keep up a training schedule similar to what you did leading up to Portland and you should be okay. 

Are you doing the Rock'n'Roll? I just signed up for the half.

J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Do it!  I do a water stop each year and I know it's hilly but I think that you could totaly do it.  Just keep the milage base you've built up so you won't get a great recovery but you can do it!

A friend of mine ran 1 marathon a month in 2009.  She used to be a 4 days a week runner and 5 hour marathoner.  Now she's as hard core as anyone I've ever met!

BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Input from a half marathoner...

The Seattle marathon is well organized and a great run - the only thing I would add is to train hills (if you're not already).  The last 4 miles of the run are almost exclusively UPhill!!  (if the route is the same which I'm pretty sure it is - it's been 2 years since I ran it).  The route goes UP into the arboretum - and up and up and up.  I was NOT prepared.  It kicked my butt.  If I had FOUND a Quitter Bus, I would have bussed it the final 3 miles and quit. LUckily there wasn't a single one in sight.  I was nearly halucinating by the finish line. 

I would recommend the Rock and Roll in the spring - it's kind of fun to tell people you've run from Tukwila to Seattle!!  That route is pretty and mostly flat.  And running from band to band is just extra incentive (especially for people like me who run but don't LOVE running...)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I haven't done Seattle, but ditto what PP say about hills, rain, and the cold. Two months in between you'll be fine. If you want to do it go for it!

PS they are changing the course next year for RR. I hear the marathon is a lot harder than the half, but I haven't had a chance to look up the new course yet.

imageimageimage
    Newlywed Athlete Blog
    DD Arrived 10/17/2011
    2012 Races
    Valentine's Day Dash - 5k - 2/11/12 - 34:21
    Kirkland 5k - 5/13/12 - 31:59
  • imagekarebear219:

I haven't done Seattle, but ditto what PP say about hills, rain, and the cold. Two months in between you'll be fine. If you want to do it go for it!

PS they are changing the course next year for RR. I hear the marathon is a lot harder than the half, but I haven't had a chance to look up the new course yet.

New course starts and ends at Seattle Center.  Personaly I hated the course for the RnR.  17 of the 26 miles are on eigher I90 or 99 where there is limited sepctators and out and back.  I hate out and back and so much double backing. 

• I think I'm going to do it! I already run year-round outside (so I think I can handle the weather) and I do long-runs on serious hills every weekend (although the last few miles of a marathon may be challenging). Thanks for the encouragement. =) 

Photobucket  image
    Married: December 2005 ~ Started TTC: December 2008 ~ DH: 33, Me: 30
    Diagnosis: severe MFI, late ovulation, short LP, DOR
    Only option is IVF/ICIS. Waited several years before treatment because we're OOP.
    IVF/ICIS #1 in June 2012 (Protocol: Long Lupron). Stims: 6/17/12, ER: 6/30/12 (6R, 5M, 4F), ET: 7/5/12 (1 4AA embryo transferred, 0 made it to freeze) ~ Beta#1: 7/14/12 - 55, Beta#2: 7/16/12 - 100, Beta#3: 7/18/12 - 199 ~ Limbo for weeks, finally confirmed pregnancy not viable: 8/13/12 ~ D&C: 8/17/12 
    Varicocele Surgery: October 2012 (long break to wait for results, no change) 
    Changed clinics: February 2013 
    IVF/ICIS Attempt #2 in April 2013 (Protocol: Antagonist). Stims: 4/12/13, Cycle Cancelled: 4/17/13 for poor follicle response and low E2 rise. 
    IVF/ICIS Attempt #3 in May 2013 (Protocol: LEAP) Cycle Cancelled: 5/20/13 at suppression check due to cyst
    IVF/ICIS Attempt #4 in July 2013 (Protocol: LEAP). Stims: 7/20/13, ER: 8/1/13 (12R, 11M, 9F), ET: 8/6/13 (3 fair embryos transferred, 0 made it to freeze) ~ Beta#1: 8/15/13 - 86, Beta#2: 8/18/13 - 390.6, Ultrasound: 9/3/13 - TWO HEARTBEATS! 

• imageKRoseToes:
    I think I'm going to do it! I already run year-round outside (so I think I can handle the weather) and I do long-runs on serious hills every weekend (although the last few miles of a marathon may be challenging). Thanks for the encouragement. =) 
    Yeah! Good luck.  I will let you know if I'm at a water stop, which one.  I can have all kinds of aid for you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"