Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Baby Rice in bottle?

At what age can you put baby rice in the bottle? I am being told the rice helps fill the baby and lets the sleep longer. My LO is going on 3 weeks on Monday. 

Re: Baby Rice in bottle?

• Options
    There is absolutely no need to put rice in your baby's bottle unless she has severe reflux and it is approved by the pediatrician. Otherwise, it's considered a solid and you don't start that until 4-6 months, again with pedi approval. There is little nutritional value in the rice and it is an OWT that it makes babies sleep longer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Technically at no age are you suppose to put rice in a bottle. It is a choking hazard. Only if the baby had bad reflux and it is directed by a pedi. 

Notice I said technically. Use your instincts. When LO gets older (because 3 weeks is way too young) and you think they are increasing feeding amounts too fast you can talk to your pedi and see if maybe a teaspoon or so can be added to help. Again, each baby is different and you have to talk to your pedi before you do something like that.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    NEVER!!!  It is a myth that baby will sleep longer with the rice and he/she could choke.  Also, their digestive track is not yet ready to handle solids and LO could develop allergies if solids are introduced too early.  Baby's have small tummy and need to wake frequently to eat day and night until they are about 10-12 weeks of age.  Most babies won't go longer than 3-4 hours between feeds but will sometimes go as long as 6 hours once they are 6-8 weeks old.  Baby's will sleep longer stretches when their little bodies are ready to do it.  So just try to sleep/nap during the day when baby sleeps that will help a lot.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Putting rice cereal in a bottle to make babies sleep longer is an old school practice among parents. There is no need to start solids this early. We all get desperate for sleep, but filling the baby up on a non-nutritional solid is not a good solution.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I def wouldn't be adding rice to the bottle unless it was necessary to do so (reflux), they don't need anything besides formula or breast milk... esp at 3 weeks.
  • Options

We had to with DS because of reflux, but I don't think we even found out until he was around 2-3 months old.

He was always a good sleeper, so I never noticed a difference. However, when DD started cereal at 4.5 months, she became a terrible sleeper. Rice cereal gave her such bad gas and made her constipated. 

Personally, I wouldn't do it unless it is medically necessary.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    apparently this is "THE" question on this board.  ditto everyone else, it's a myth.  there is so little calories/nutrition in rice cereal, it's not going to make a difference at all.  let me guess, someone really old told you to do this?? 
    imageimage

• Options
    You don't. Rice should never be added to a bottle. When it is time for that, it should be given with a spoon.
  • Options
    SMH!!! Thanks everyone...Figures one of my GF's friend suggested she put rice in his bottle to get him to sleep longer! Me being a first time Dad might have believed her but I tend to do my research as in reading forums like these to gain some insight on many things pertaining newborn babies!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"