Washington Babies
Options

magic miracle cure?

I need a magic potion.  If I eat anything with any flavor I have horrible heartburn and reflux, tums don't help.  When I drink water, plain water, I feel nauseous all the time.  If I driink juice or soda or anything with aspartame (flavored talking rain, some light juices, ect...) it's all worse. 

Is there a special tea, or magic potion I can drink that can soothe my stomach and reflux either before or after I eat, that won't make me nauseous? I'm thinking of making a trip to Teavana this week to see what they recomend but I hear that place is pricy!

BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12

Re: magic miracle cure?

• Options
    Have you tried sipping ginger ale? I used to choke that stuff down just to get some relief from my morning sickness, but a lot of people like it (I'm just not a ginger fan). My midwife also suggested sipping Smart Water or Gatorade b/c it has the extra electrolytes in it that help with dehydration. Or when you are sipping water, just make sure you are snacking on some plain crackers too, so you dont have an empty stomach with just water. Another thing that helped me was just putting lemon slices in my water. GL! Oh- and peppermint tea is good for your stomach as well. Definitely make sure with you dr. before you drink teas tho, there is a huge list of herbs, etc that you shouldnt have while pg. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am not sure what your philosophy on pharmaceuticals is, but I had good luck with Protonix, a prescription heartburn medication.  I had terrible heartburn with my first pregnancy and it helped a lot.  Good luck, I hope you find that magic potion!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    my heartburn is out of control at this point! 38 weeks! The only things that seems to help is if I drink milk after I'm done eating.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I loved ginger ale - particulary Thomas Kemper, it is made from real ginger.  I remember also drinking Country Time Lemonade while pregnant because it didn't have nutrasweet in it. And a lot of chocolate milk....  I also agree with the peppermint tea recommendation.

I just found out there is a new tea store in Issaquah (on Front Street).  I don't like Teavana (sales people are very pushy) and I am bitter they bought out the awesome online store I used to use.

Good luck

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    How about Vitamin Water?  It's naturally sweetened, so it doesn't have aspertame.
  • Options
    You can take Zantac. I did from 30 weeks until delivery (along with Tums from time-to-time). My midwife said that if you start taking too many tums, your stomach acid actually starts to increase. It's just a bandaid, not a cure. Try Zantac and see if that works. I took the 150. GL.
    The only Easter Bunny I can get behind.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Maxwell Joseph 4/09 Lucy Violet 10/12

• Options
    K- this sounds totally weird- but I have had horrid heartburn in the past and have tried everything (turned out to be an ulcer- awesome :/) BUT Barium works the best for an instant cure. I worked in a radiology office, so I get it free- but your doc can get you some. The berry flavor kept at the back of the fridge super cold works great. Its similar consistency as pepto but tastes way better and coats for a long time. Good Luck!
  • Options

imageKNemo:
    You can take Zantac. I did from 30 weeks until delivery (along with Tums from time-to-time). My midwife said that if you start taking too many tums, your stomach acid actually starts to increase. It's just a bandaid, not a cure. Try Zantac and see if that works. I took the 150. GL.

This, I took Zantac often, especially towards the end when sometimes at night I would wake up gagging and coughing from the reflux.  Good luck, hope you find something that helps! 

image Visit The Nest!

• Options

Thanks ladies; i'll try all of these.  I am already on Zantac and protonix for maintenence, I have ulcers also so it's hard to find something stronger, I just want to be able to eat and stay hydrated! 
    Thanks, I'll report back what works!  (I'm gonna call my MW in the am for the barrium, I forgot about that stuff!)

BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12
  • Options
    I drank massive decafe green tea. That was the only thing I could drink till I had M
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I feel your pain!! I've been having trouble keeping liquid down for 7 weeks now and it's been a rough ride for eating too. At 12 weeks, I'm finally able to stomach Dr. Pepper - no other soda will do. I typically don't drink soda, I usually hate the stuff but it's been helping to ease the burn. If you go this route, be sure to take it easy since it's full of caffeine and high fructose corn syrup. But hey, even a little of the bad stuff is better for you than absolute dehydration! 

Yes, Teavana is expensive! If you don't mind the smell of cinnamon and orange, there's a basic orange cinnamon tea you can get at QFC or Safeway on the cheap.  It's just called Orange & Spice and it's a Bigelow tea. Ingredients are: rose hips, spices, hibiscus, orange peel, roasted chicory, and natural orange flavor. I spend as much time just smelling the stuff as I do drinking it. 

Try a little honey in your tea for the throat burn? That worked for me for about 5 days before I was back to having terrible reflux.  I've also learned that tums makes the burn worse, at least for me. I've seen forums suggesting that it's because they contain citric acid and that's hard on some people. I've heard that Maalox is the better alternative, but I haven't tried it. I can't keep chalky stuff down.

Good luck and be sure to talk to your doc if you keep having trouble with liquids. It may save you a trip to the ER...  

• Options
    imagetheresab:

I loved ginger ale - particulary Thomas Kemper, it is made from real ginger. 

They were bought recently and the new owners aren't so hip to quality ingredients.  Stock up while you can.

I've got nothing for you, S. sorry.  :(

• Options
    imagepreston18:
    imagetheresab:

I loved ginger ale - particulary Thomas Kemper, it is made from real ginger. 

They were bought recently and the new owners aren't so hip to quality ingredients.  Stock up while you can.

That sucks....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Try papaya enzymes or drinking 30 minutes after eating.
  • Options
    I had horrible heartburn with Asher and found that ice cold cranberry juice calmed it down. I have no idea why it worked or even if it was all in my head but I loved that stuff!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"