Infertility
Options

IVF with PGD

Hi Ladies,

I just had my third miscarriage and the RE I go to is suggesting IVF with pre-implantation genetic testing. I was wondering if anyone has done it because of m/s? Also the cost? Also just any experiences with it.

Thanks. 

6 m/c
Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
Dec 12 Humira
Jan 2013 BFP
Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

Re: IVF with PGD

• Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. No advice, but extremely sorry.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    They offered it to us but its $4500 and out of our range on top of that we dont believe in that...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So sorry for your losses. I don't have any personal experience with PGD.  I do however know a couple who are using it. The husband has a chromosomal condition. The wife has gotten pregnant a few times always ending in miscarriage. The chromosomal abnormality is causing the spontaneous miscarriages. PGD is probably the only way they will get pregnant. Whatever you decide, good luck!!  
    Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • Options
    Also, I'm going to try to say this as tactfully as possible -- this board is a place of openness, respect, empathy and non-judgment.  The ladies are a great source of encouragement. Please don't let a stray comment keep you from sharing. 
  • Options
    Thank you, I won't. 
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• Options
    :) I'm glad. Wouldn't want you to miss out on the great support you'll find here. 
  • Options

I hope it is okay that I respond.

We did IVF with PGD after 6 losses.  On day 3 all of our embryos were tested (all 23 strands).  7 of the 11 we tested were abnormal.  4 were considered normal.  We transferred 2 normal embryos, one at blast stage and one morula.  Unfortunately, that cycle ended in another loss.

Ultimately, my RE determined that I had a higher than average number of abnormal embryos for someone my age and that the embryos that tested normal did not grow normally.  The two that we did not transfer were only 7 and 8 cells on day 5.

One of the drawbacks I discussed with my RE regarding the day 3 PGD testing is that there can be false positives of abnormal embryos but those embryos must be discarded if they test abnormal.  Also, my RE stated that sometimes an abnormal embryo has the ability to self-correct but again, if it tests abnormal with the PGD, it will not be used.

Ultimately, I am glad we did PGD as the results enabled me to be okay with moving on to donor eggs. After 6 losses, it was nice to get some answers (I have crappy eggs) even if they weren't answers I wanted.  I do think that it is an amazing tool.

The total cost of just the PGD for us was $5700.  This included a fee to my clinic and a fee to the genetic testing location.

Good luck with your decision.

*P/SAIFW* TTC since 1/08 Clomid, 2 IUIs, 4 IVFs, FET 7 losses Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have done two IVF cycles with CGH testing (they test ALL chromosomes as opposed to just some as they do with PGD) due to recurrent miscarriage.  I am sure they offer CGH at your clinic.  It costs about an extra $5000 (more depending on how many embryos you have to test) on top of whatever you already have to pay for IVF. 

I have not been successful with the testing yet (first time I miscarried 2 normal embryos and the 2nd time I did not get pregnant) and both cycles I did yielded INCREDIBLY different results.  The first cycle I had 2 out of 8 normal and the second cycle I had 10 out of 16 normal.  It is a pretty amazing technology.  I have read about many success stories and I hope to be one someday too!  I know I am rambling, but if you have any other questions, feel free to ask me!

After 1 IUI, 3 IVF's with CGH/CCS testing, 10 early miscarriages, and lots of tears and frustration, we are moving on to Domestic Infant Adoption!  We are so excited to see what the future holds.

• Options
    I don't have any experience with this, but I wanted to say I am sorry for your losses. Also, what AmCheri said ;0)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Yes, I have done PGD because of poor embryo/egg quality. It is about $4500 extra and well worth it. I haven't gotten my BFP yet, but I am hoping to on my upcoming FET. Good luck to you. PM if you want more details about PGD!

Diagnosis: MFI and Egg Quality Issues IVF#1-October-BFN ER-16 eggs, 8 mature, 7 fertilized, 2transferred and no frozen IVF#2- March-Beta 3/19 ER- 12 eggs, 8 mature, 7 fertilized, 2 transferred and 1 frozen-BFN. IVF#3 July ER-19 eggs, 13 mature, 10 fertilized...waiting til Day 5 to PGD. PGD results-4 out of 5 embryos are normal and will be banked. IVF#4 Sept 11' 22 eggs, 16 mature, 15 fertilized...waiting til Day 5 to PGD. Total normal embryos banked, quality varies: FET-Nov 11'-BFP Beta #1: 156, Beta #2: 489 First u/s revealed TWINS!! 2nd u/s= 2 beautiful heartbeats! 12/17 Lost one of the twins :(BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    $4500 seems to be a common price.  That's how much it costs at our clinic as well.  We did not choose to do it, so I don't have any advice but I wanted to say GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am so sorry for your losses. ((hugs))

I have also had multiple m/c's, but after my first late first-tri loss we had karyotyping done to discover my DH has a balanced translocation.  Our RE also recommended PGD to select only "normal" or "balanced" embryos for transfer to prevent m/c.  Unfortunately, we did two cycles with bismal results.  Only 1 out of 18 embryos tested normal.  It was a poor quality blast and I did not get pregnant.  (Our second cycle is when all tested abnormal and I didn't even make it to transfer.)

Don't let me scare you b/c I have seen many success stories with PGD pr CGH, unfortunately we weren't one of them.....but that has a lot to do with our diagnosis.  The geneticist had warned us ahead of time that b/c of my DH's diagnosis, 80-90% of our embryos would statistically be abnormal....and we fell on that 90%.  As far as cost, I think others are correct that it's approximately $5k extra.  We are very fortunate that b/c of our diagnosis, our insurance covered it.    

Best of luck to you!  I hope you get your healthy, sticky baby very soon!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"