VBAC
Options

"Failure to descend" then successful VBAC?

I was in labor and progressed quickly (well to 10 cm in about 6 hrs.). I pushed for almost 3 hours and then my CNM said she was going to call the DR to see if he could use the vacuum. By the time he got to the hospital, the baby had gone back up. Anyways, I was on bed rest for about 24 hours before I went into labor. I was never able to get out of bed durning labor. I really feel like this is the reason I had the c-section.

So what are your thoughts on a VBAC this time around? Anyone have failure to descend with first baby and then a VBAC? 

DS 10/27/09, 5lb. 15oz., 18in., Emergency C-Section, TTC soon!, hoping for a VBAC Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker <a href="http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m224/guineas12/?action=view

Re: &amp;quot;Failure to descend&amp;quot; then successful VBAC?

• Options

DId they give you a reason on why they think the baby failed to descend. I was in a very similar situation, labored for 24 hours, pushed for 3 and was rushed to the OR for an emergency C/S. When they  went in the doctors realized she was posterior with a face presentation and the cord was wrapeed around her neck 2x and arm 1x.

I know in my particular situation there was not much I could have done to avoid all of the scenarios and the chances of this happening again are slim. My OB said that I have a very good chance of achieving a VBAC because my body did what it was suppossed to do (achieved full dilation) but baby was just in an unfavorable position.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I did!  I pushed for around 2 hours with my daughter, then had a c/s.  The OB told me my pelvis was too small.  However, I later found out that my daughter was OP and that was probably the reason she wasn't descending.

I had a VBAC with my son.  He was 2 ounces larger than my daughter was at birth.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yep! I dilated and labored fine, but pushed for hours and hours without the baby coming out. My son was OP, but my MW never checked his positioning until after I had pushed for ages.

We both had successful VBACs with our second. My second son was 2+ lbs heaver and 2 inches longer than my first son. I'm very convinced that a baby's position has a LOT to do with how easily they come out.

I went to a chiropractor and was a ton more active during my second pregnancy. I biked and swam up until the end, and I was much more aware of my posture and my baby's position. I'm sure not being able to get up and be upright during labor really affected how your baby was positioned. hth

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

I did as well.  I got up to 8 cm on my own while laboring in the shower and stuff, but was given IV fluids and then Pit (second time that week, I had a 3 night failed induction earlier that week).  I got up to around 9 1/2 and baby didn't really get past -1 station.  I never got to push.  Had him at 40w6d and he was 8 lb. 2 oz. and 22 inches.  Cord was wrapped around his neck twice, but I was also pretty much left alone and was in the same standing position the majority of my labor and never encouraged to try different positions.  

Labor with DD was following the same exact pattern, which messed with my head for a little while.  However, my doula was on top of me about trying different positions and stuff.  It was an awesome birth!  She even came out with her hand by her face. DD was 8 lb. 11oz. and OMG I forgot how long she was just now, oops!  :)

ETA:  Good lord, I guess I forgot how much she weighed too, so I had to come back and edit that!  :)  Poor second child!

DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is all good news! What does OP mean? You say your baby was OP.
    DS 10/27/09, 5lb. 15oz., 18in., Emergency C-Section, TTC soon!, hoping for a VBAC Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker <a href="http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m224/guineas12/?action=view
  • Options

imageguineas12:
    This is all good news! What does OP mean? You say your baby was OP.

https://spinningbabies.com/baby-positions/posterior

OP - occiput posterior, or "sunny-side up"

The best way for a baby to be lined up during labor is with its spine facing out. OP means the baby's spine is against the mom's spine, which can make for longer or more painful labors, or labors ending in a c-section. The whole spinningbabies.com site is pretty interesting to read, not just that page!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

I pushed for two hours with an OP baby as well and ended up with a c/s. had an awesome vbac with my son who was only 3 oz lighter. 

Sounds cheesy but I put a lot of faith in my body. It did what it was supposed to do the first time but my daughter was in an unfavorable position. My dr said it was more likely that the second baby wouldn't be OP and he was right.  

I Can't Resist Those Chubby Cheeks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Dx with endo & blocked left tube - TTC #1 for 29 cycles before miracle BFP, #2 - Surprise!!
    My TTC/PG blog / Panda Phenomenon Explained
  • Options

I did as well!  With DS#1 I progressed pretty easily to 10cm then pushed for almost 3 hours with no luck.  He was OP, and also a decent size, not huge by any means, but not small either (8lbs 5oz) so I'm not sure if that played into it at all either.  But I ended up with the c/s.

With #2, I again progressed easily and when I started pushing they found he was also not completely face down, he wasn't completely OP, but turned enough that it was making it difficult to push him out.  They had me stop pushing and turn and lay as much on my stomach as I could which encouraged him to turn.  Then later after an hour of pushing I had a successful VBAC.  He was just over a pound smaller than my first and my OB said she honestly believed if it had been any bigger it wouldn't have been successful. 

• Options

i did. i progressed to 10cm after about 16 hours of hard labor, then pushed for 8 more. my ctx totally spaced out during this time to not more than 1/hour. 

i had a beautiful hwbac last year!

part of the problem the first time was baby's position. moving around in labor may have helped your baby reposition.

why were you on bed rest and not allowed to get out of the bed?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"