Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

My newborn baby boy is peeing out of his diaper...

My 9 day old baby boy is peeing out of his diaper at least 2 times a day. He is only 7.4lbs so he is definitley still in Newborn size. We are using Pampers Swadlers diapers. Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions? Should I try a different diaper? I have a pack of Huggies Naturals (my last pack of newborn diapers in stock...) that I am going to use next, so I may see how those work!

Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: My newborn baby boy is peeing out of his diaper...

• Options
    The only thing that has saved us it making sure that his penis is pointing down when we close the diaper up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I should have mentioned, he usually pees out the back somehow... his back is always soaked!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had that happen, so I aimed his penis downward during changes.  Since it's coming out of the back it could just be gravity since he's sleeping on his back,right?  Also, he could just need a more absorbant diaper with a snug fit.  I love the huggies snugglers in NB size better than the pampers swaddlers.  The netting stuff on the inside of the pampers always stuck to LO's skin.  Huggies are softer on the inside and prevent leaks better IMO, good luck! 

Once he starts to fill out this problem will go away.  I didn't like it when he would wake up just because his diaper failed after the first pee, very frustrating!

EDD 9/01/11

my nursery progress

• Options

I just posted this SAME exact problem with our little guy yesterday (funny!). One thing we weren't doing was pointing his "wee wee" down when putting his diaper on. We started doing that and so far no leaks (fingers crossed!). We tried changing sizes and brands and it wasn't helping so i hope that did the trick. 

I had to laugh when I read this because I was completely baffled as to how it got all over his back too ha. 

IUI#1 - 05/20/08 = BFP! M/C - 14 weeks :( baby girl
    IUI#2 - 01/07/09 = BFP!!! Twins!! Pre-term labor 20 weeks :( lost twin girls
    IUI#3 - 1/31/10 = BFP!!!! M/C - 8wks :( again
    IVF #1 - 7/2010 = c/p
    FET - 9/2010 = another c/p
    IUI#4 - 2/14/11 = BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    For my son we had to switch to Huggies. I have always heard that Pampers are best for girls and Huggies are best for boys. It proved right for us. We have two girls and one boy. We never pointed his penis down. The diaper switch was all that was needed. Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Try experimenting with different brands. We had no luck with huggies but pampers have been great. Every baby is different. Also take pp's advice about pointing the penis down, and make sure the leg ruffles are all fluffed out and not tucked in. ETA - pampers baby dry have been great - the swaddlers had the netting that always stuck to his little butt :(
    July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

• Options
    Make sure he is pointed down. Also, did he get circumcised? If so, and younger using ointment on him, it will make the diaper non absorbent! This happened to us for a week after his circ.
    BabyFruit Ticker image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Are you using petroleum jelly for the circumsion?  I too had this problem until I stopped using the jelly.  Apparently it acts as a repellant for the pee which causes it to shoot out the back of the diaper.  Use less or put it on a gauze.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagejennyfur211:
    The only thing that has saved us it making sure that his penis is pointing down when we close the diaper up.

Ditto!  Also try and tighten the diaper slightly.  When DS#1 was born he was only 6 lbs so we had to overlap the sides to make it tight enough to avoid accidents.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I have nothing to add to what pp have said, just lurking because I'll be here soon again with another little boy and wanted to relate.  Poor DH was holding DS1 at the clinic after he getting his heel pricked to check bili levels and he pulled him away from him and his shirt was just soaked with urine.  DS leaked out of his newborn diapers all the time, it sucked!  Thankfully once he was out of newborn sizes that stopped.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Ditto all of PP's comments about making sure his penis is pointed downwards. We had a problem with this at first too. If DS's penis was pointing to the side in the slightest, his whole back would be soaked. If it was pointed up, it was his back and side.

We also discovered that Pampers are a much better fit for our DS than Huggies. We always had accidents with Huggies diapers.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

Thank you everyone! I am going to try the Huggies Pure and Natural because I have them...but surely going to try pointing him down as well!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"