1st Trimester

Ziplining and pregnancy

We planned a trip to Kauai (late honeymoon) before we got pregnant...and now it turns out it will be during weeks 11 and 12 of my pregnancy.  We had been planning to go ziplining, which now obviously I'm re-thinking.  Most companies say "women in the first trimester of pregnancy allowed with written doctor's permission", and I'm going to check with my doctor.  My instinct is "no" but just wanted to see if anyone else has ziplined during first trimester?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ziplining and pregnancy

• I've ziplined while not pregnant and I honestly don't see what it could possibly hurt. It's not strenuous at all.

Have fun in Hawaii!!  :)

• I went years ago and I remember seeing a lot of big "not for pregnant women" signs.  Maybe ask your doctor?  Personally, I probably wouldn't though....
    ***S/PAIFW***TTC since forever ago....

DH-34-MFI-motility+morphology.... Me-32-Hypothyrpid+LPD

7/8/11: Clomid100mg+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN

8/2/11: Clomid50mg+Ovidrel+IUI#2=BFFN

8/25/11: Follistim50iu+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFP!!!!@14dpo

Beta#1 9/8 - 251 Beta#2 9/15 - 1622 Beta#3 9/22 - 12674

1st U/S; heard one beautiful HB of 129 - 9/29/11

OB visit; HB of 166 - 10/13/11

2nd US; HB of 163 - 10/18/11

A/S - 12/9/11 - It's a perfect healthy BOY!!!!

Our miracle baby boy - born 5/24/12

• Loading the player...
  • Have you ever worn a harness?  Think about where it puts the most pressure and where your baby will be positioned when you're at that point in pregnancy.  Not a good idea. 

While you may be sitting in the harness for the most part, you may also flip at some point (even if you try not to) and it could put pressure on the top of your pelvis.  Since that harness is holding up your entire body weight, it's quite different than just laying on your belly.

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Since you'll be at the 11/12 week point, you might have a little baby pooch going on. I remember last time I hated having anything put pressure on that spot. It was pretty uncomfortable. For your harness to fit right, it will need to be fairly tight incase you flip upside down. Can you wait and see till you get there and try on a harness? Or you could go to a local sporting goods store that has climbing harnesses and try one of those on right before your trip. I think as long as you can wear the harness tightly and still feel comfortable, go for it!
    Photobucket AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • I've been a couple times and don't see the big deal.  You sit on the harness while zipping so I don't see how that could cause discomfort in anything but your bum. And the only flipping you'd do is turning backwards.  The only potential danger is falling while you're climbing up ladders, but they connect your harness when you climb too.  If your doctor okays it and they allow it, I say have fun.  It's an awesome experience.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageallisonmarie22:

I've ziplined while not pregnant and I honestly don't see what it could possibly hurt. It's not strenuous at all.

Have fun in Hawaii!!  :)

This.  I ziplined in Costa Rica and it was fun and I would do it if I were you.  I rock climb still at 12 weeks with no discomfort so...

p.s. we're going to kauai in 28 days!!!  But who's counting right?? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My only concern would just be comfort. I've gone ziplining twice and except for some of the exciting lines, it's more relaxing than anything. The harness might be uncomfortable if you've gotten a bump and/or you may be paranoid the whole time about it pushing on your pelvis. But like I said, I think it'd be safe, just a comfort issue possibly
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I personally dont think I would risk it...

• I have been ziplining before not pregnant and I definitely would NOT do it pregnant.  I would not risk it.  I know the zipline course we did was strenuous.  They all aren't like that but I personally wouldn't risk it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Maybe the issue is that they can't get the harness tight enough because you'd have a baby belly by then and they can't tighten it enough for fear of harming the baby?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hope you have a nice trip! :)

One of my friend's went ziplining on her honeymoon, and ended up slamming into a tree and hurting herself.

I personally woudln't go ziplining.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • If you have been ziplining before than you probably know that slowing down and stopping (if you have to do so manually) can be tricky.  It took me 2-3 tries to achieve that smooth easy slide to a stop.  The first 2 to 3 times were pretty jarring. If you are an expert, go ahead.  But remember it is a risk you take and you need to ask yourself is it worth any worry/injury it could cause you or your unborn baby?  Also, if you hurt yourself, your list of approved medicines is greatly diminished during pregnancy and you may have to deal with that discomfort as well.  If it were me, I'd enjoy the view and sip a virgin smoothie instead:).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"